• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket squares - do you wear them to work?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I've been watching this thread grow out of the corner of my eye the last few days, and I have to come clean. I've never "worn" a pocket square. I don't own any. What's more, AFAIK, no one in my office ever has either. And I feel I've come to a place where, if I started, someone would be bound to remark, and I'd have to explain myself, so I can't quite bring myself to cross this Rubicon. Threads like this do bring me a little bit closer, however.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
OK, I've been watching this thread grow out of the corner of my eye the last few days, and I have to come clean. I've never "worn" a pocket square. I don't own any. What's more, AFAIK, no one in my office ever has either. And I feel I've come to a place where, if I started, someone would be bound to remark, and I'd have to explain myself, so I can't quite bring myself to cross this Rubicon. Threads like this do bring me a little bit closer, however.

In the words of those Nike ads, JUST DO IT!

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I've never "worn" a pocket square. I don't own any. What's more, AFAIK, no one in my office ever has either. And I feel I've come to a place where, if I started, someone would be bound to remark, and I'd have to explain myself, so I can't quite bring myself to cross this Rubicon.

Fortunately, the other brokers in my company would not be in the least surprised by any business fashion gambit whatsoever that I tried. Pocket squares, hats, bow ties, vests, collar pins, spectator shoes, pocket watches, bouttonieres: they have seen it all (although not all at once!).

I do get comments, but only of the sort acknowledging that I'm up to something fun and that it looks pretty good.
smile.gif
My co-workers know that I'm going to "do my thing," and I like being in that position.

Queensberry

Reaction score
Pocket squares are a fantastic addition to any well dressed man's ensemble.

I dont go in for things like polka dot designs that bear no correlation with the shirt or tie that I have on, but if the square matches and is folded correctly then it undoubtedly adds a touch of finesse to a gentleman's outfit.

Niels

Reaction score
I newer wear a pocket square not with a sports jacket not with a suit.

I don't own any by the way.

I looks to me that here on the (European) continent square pockets are only worn by elderly men

Queensberry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Niels
I looks to me that here on the (European) continent square pockets are only worn by elderly men

Quite the contrary in London, Niels.

Pocket squares have witnessed something of a renaissance recently, and a quick flick through the fashion press will show that many well respected fashion labels are advocating their inclusion in the outfits of well coiffured gents.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned and worn pocket squares over the years, but at my current job, anything more than an oxford shirt, khakis, and a comfortable shoe is dressed up(I still wear a suit or jacket 3 days a week), so I don't wear them to the office.

I recently bought a handful of cotton handkerchiefs with colored borders (brown, maroon, blue, green) that I've gotten great use out of as pocket squares. They're like the ones that my father had when I was a kid, heavy and stiff. Work great with silk ties or when wearing jackets and shirts without a tie.

alebrady

Reaction score
i must admit, this is interesting. first - i do like the look of a pocket square, however, i have never, NEVER seen one on anyone that have been directly working with. i work for a large, global consulting firm in the area of financial services companies so its not as if there arent lots and lots of suits and sportcoats around.

although, i have seen men wearing them at client sites (on very rare occasions), i have never seen any of my direct clients with them - and i have never seen them in our own offices.

obviously, im sure some men in our firm do wear them...but you have to wonder - 8 years and never seen them myself...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Touches of individuality are frowned upon in some places, unfortunately. Things like collar bars, tie pins, tie chains, or pocket squares. It's a shame. Oddly enough a tie bar isn't frowned upon much. I guess since it just does its job, while the chain or pin are more elaborate in doing it. Who knows.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Touches of individuality are frowned upon in some places, unfortunately. Things like collar bars, tie pins, tie chains, or pocket squares. It's a shame. Oddly enough a tie bar isn't frowned upon much. I guess since it just does its job, while the chain or pin are more elaborate in doing it. Who knows.

This is one reason why I gravitated to a profession -- commercial real estate brokerage -- where, although I work for an excellent company, I am an independent contractor and my image is my business. There is no "corporate norm" to feel suffocated by.

Interestingly, I don't believe the "touches of individuality" (which I am quite addicted to) hurt me at all with clients -- they seem to like a confident-looking broker.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a site that has instructions on folding different designs of pocket squares?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads