1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket squares - do you wear them to work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SilverSurfer, Jul 27, 2006.

1. bespoke couture

bespoke couture Member

Yes. Gets compliments from the students. Also wear them without the tie at times. don't know how frowned upon this is on SF, but it feels dressier on those days wher i just don't or can't wear a tie.

Design Professor is right. Men can wear pocket squares with a sportcoat and jeans on the weekend with no tie. You can wear it with a linen suit with a tie or without a tie. They are always a nice extra touch to add whether formal, daywear, or casual wear.

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Yes. Gets compliments from the students. Also wear them without the tie at times. don't know how frowned upon this is on SF, but it feels dressier on those days wher i just don't or can't wear a tie.

I always wear a coat when I teach but have not been able to bring myself to wear a pocket square in the classroom yet. Already, I am one of the only professors on campus who wears a coat and tie to class. If I wear a blazer, I am asked whether I have a job interview somewhere else. Perhaps I should start slow with linen tv fold; a silk puff would get me weird looks for sure - mainly from colleagues. When (if) I get tenure though...

3. tancredi

tancredi Active Member

I always wear a coat when I teach but have not been able to bring myself to wear a pocket square in the classroom yet. Already, I am one of the only professors on campus who wears a coat and tie to class. If I wear a blazer, I am asked whether I have a job interview somewhere else. Perhaps I should start slow with linen tv fold; a silk puff would get me weird looks for sure - mainly from colleagues. When (if) I get tenure though...
    Ahh, tenure -- when we can finally fly the jolly roger!

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

No, the question was "do you wear them to work?" I no longer have to work weekends and holidays, thank God.

You are a fortunate man, indeed.

5. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

I wear whenever I have a suit on (church, work, etc). I work in a very conservative place, but I am one of the few to wear a suit, and the only one to wear a suit (or sometimes a bowtie for that matter). It makes you stand out, but I receive many compliments on my pocket squares.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

They are appropriate for interviews.

Any kind of company that discriminates based on a handkerchief is not a company to work for. Unless you want to quietly embezzle from them.

7. jml90

jml90 Senior member

No I don't wear a jacket to work
    But I do wear one to school

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Professor, do you concur with lawyer dad on the matter of folding? You know how oppressive the sartorial pusillanimity of the academy can be.

I do agree with lawyerdad. For my situation at the university, please bear in mind; I teach art /design students mostly, you're not going to
    shock this crowd. I can get away with stuff most here would probably find unusable, because i lecture to a room full of tattoos, peircings, spiked hair, and dirty jeans.

Some of the other posters might have pointers here as well. I weare the suits, ties, and psquares even though most of my colleagues don't. As far as waiting for tenure -only if there is some kind of unwritten tradition you might jeopardize.

9. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

If I'm wearing a coat(sport or suit), I'm wearing a pocket square.

Ditto.

White linen for suits.

Patterned silk or linen for odd jackets.

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Ditto.

White linen for suits.

Patterned silk or linen for odd jackets.

Are you suggesting this as a copper-fastened rule? If so, that's just plain silly.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Every day.

If I'm wearing a jacket, it has a pocket square in it.

12. denning

denning Senior member

If I have a jacket on its got a pocket square in it. It just feels unfinished if it is missing.

13. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I shudder when I see a man who has used the pocket for his eyeglasses, bic pen or cigarettes.
    In southern Europe, I've seen quite a few examples of sunglasses carried in breast pockets, particularly in Italy, and I've taken up the habit over the last few summers. It adds a bit of sprezzatura, I think. I also like the habit of folding up a (thin) necktie into something resembling a tv fold, and carrying it in the breast pocket, typically for after-work drinking. I've never understood the habit of carrying pens in breast pockets, whether they're Bics, Montblancs or more thoroughbred animals. I wear pocket squares to work, with suits or odd jackets. The only exception is when I can't find a square that goes with the rest. I also wear thin wool turtlenecks a lot in winter, and compensate for that bit of casualness with a pocket square.

14. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Yes, if you consider work tasting wine at 9:30am [​IMG]

15. TomW

TomW Senior member

Like many, if I'm wearing a coat, suit or sport, it's got a square in the breast pocket. I feel that without it, I've not finished dressing in the morning.

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

manton, were you wearing highly-polished tan monkstraps today? I saw someone in midtown today who looked a lot like you.

17. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

18. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

If there is a breast pocket.

19. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

No, the question was "do you wear them to work?" I no longer have to work weekends and holidays, thank God.
    I work practically every weekend, and always wear a pocket square.

20. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Is the book selling that well? [​IMG]