• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What would you wear a PS like this with? It's pretty bright and I noticed that people don't like bright pink PS's. I mean would it overpower everything else you were wearing?

This is a very good question because it brings up a few important points.

- A pocket square can look great on display, but if it doesn't coordinate properly with the rest of your outfit it is a fail.
- It doesn't have to match anything you are wearing but it should compliment the season and the colors you are wearing as well as being appropriate for the occasion/work.

But to address the question: I have a similar bright orange pockets square from Holland & Holland that I wear with a tan/khaki jacket or a deep mossy green jacket with a rust and gold windowpane pattern. The ties need to be muted so I usually wear a heather colored silk knit and always with a blue shirt. I don't have it exploding out of my pocket but you could if you were off to a party. The orange PS can be a nice compliment to khaki pants and a blue blazer to clearly differentiate you from the security guard look.

FillW

Reaction score
I kind of was referring to this guy's PS but maybe the other clothes he wore threw everything off.

So is this PS a good choice and if so what would go with it? I see men wearing pink shirts all the time.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is so much wrong with this pic that I don't think it is helpful to use it as a guide.

But if you are asking should you pair a pink shirt with a pink pocket square the answer is generally no. (the exception would be if you had a pink shirt and a pocket square with just a hint of pink in it. but even then it might not work).

A pocket square with a pink border or some pink in the pattern can look very nice with a navy blazer or a tan suit with a solid blue shirt and tie. But the choice of the tie, pocket square, shirt and the rest of the outfit all have to be coordinated and compliment each other.

I'm of the school of thought that if you want to wear one expressive item, fine. Any more than that (i.e. expressive socks AND an expressive pocket square) rarely works and usually clashes.

FillW

Reaction score
Read more about SquareFail
The guy says that the four point fold looks studied and ridiculous. If that's the same one another poster showed a link on how to fold some pages back then I disagree. I like it but can understand how someone would rather use a puff if they wanted to show a PS's center as well as the edges.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK, thanks! I didn't think the PS in that pic was that bad.

The pocket square is fine, but combined with all the other elements and the way it is folded (in the above pic) just doesn't work. The square could be ideal to add some color to a navy blazer, but it only works if it is in harmony with all the other things you are wearing. The pic above has to much color and pattern fighting for attention. It just doesn't work in that context.

FillW

Reaction score
I have a light grey sport coat that has a subtle plaid pattern. What color and type of PS would go with it?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a light grey sport coat that has a subtle plaid pattern. What color and type of PS would go with it?

Show a pic of the fabric. We can't offer suggestions without seeing all of the colors. The better the quality of the photo the better the quality of the suggestions. It would also help if you show the tie and shirt you plan to wear with it. Or ask for suggestions.

FillW

Reaction score
I have to ask.

What does everyone think about the pocket squares at the Men's Wearhouse or Macy's ...(ducking)? lol

TheStormnMormon

Reaction score
I've only recently started getting into pocket squares - about 4 in my closet - but whenever I get the chance, I throw one in.

Here's my avatar:

Better pictures of the PS upon request.

Easily my favorite of the bunch. Italian-made, wool, paisley, hand-rolled.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have to ask.

What does everyone think about the pocket squares at the Men's Wearhouse or Macy's ...(ducking)?  lol

Source is irrelevant. If it's a good square, it's a good square.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads