• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Olambe,

33cm is about 13 inches and that is too small for most pocket square fabrics as Don Raphael mentioned.

15 inches is an average size and very thin fabrics can be bigger or thick fabrics slightly smaller.

Olmabe

Reaction score
I personally think that 33x33 is to small, especially for silk. They don't make a good looking puff, rather it looks flat. Also, you're not able to puff the PS and have the hand rolled edges sticking out at the same time. The problem is not as significant with wool or blends as they're thicker, but I still prefer a somewhat larger PS than 33x33. Others may have other preferences.

Olambe,

33cm is about 13 inches and that is too small for most pocket square fabrics as Don Raphael mentioned.

15 inches is an average size and very thin fabrics can be bigger or thick fabrics slightly smaller.

I had an inkling that asking before purchasing was a wise thing to do.
Thank you for the quick replies.

Sadly all those 15"-17" PS are currently out of my price range (80€ upwards) and they don't come up here on e-thrift sites.

Guess I have to safe up a bit more than.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an inkling that asking before purchasing was a wise thing to do.
Thank you for the quick replies.

Sadly all those 15"-17" PS are currently out of my price range (80€ upwards) and they don't come up here on e-thrift sites.

Guess I have to safe up a bit more than.

I hate to pile on but these are absolutely right, I would recommend saving what you can. My view was completely changed the moment I got a square that was a silk blend rather than 100% and slight larger. I haven’t used any of my 100% silk squares in a very long time.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the size of the square depends on how it will be used. Maybe a larger size is needed for folding?

I just treat mine like any other handkerchief and stuff it in the pocket, especially with silks.

As for how many, I'd say a certain amount of them should be maintained and replaced as necessary. At least a dozen white linen at any given time sounds about right, and maybe 6-10 in silk or so.

Olmabe

Reaction score
I hate to pile on but these are absolutely right, I would recommend saving what you can. My view was completely changed the moment I got a square that was a silk blend rather than 100% and slight larger. I haven’t used any of my 100% silk squares in a very long time.

I appreciate you sharing your experience because it allows me to learn without facing any consequences (in this case wasting money).

I will stay committed to building a sort of timeless capsule wardrobe on a rather self imposed budget. ☺

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who does not own a quality PS yet is there a general consensus about the perfect size?

I am currently looking at 33x33cm options but am wondering if they might be too small?
I’d say that’s fine for linen or pure wool squares. A pure silk at that size is bound to drown in the pocket, in my opinion.

Olmabe

Reaction score
I’d say that’s fine for linen or pure wool squares. A pure silk at that size is bound to drown in the pocket, in my opinion.

Thanks for pitching in on the discussion.

I trawled the internet a little more and also received the advice of my twin to check out a polish brand called Poszetka. Took me a while to make the connection to the user with the same name on here. Anyway I am drawn to this design and at 38€ it fits within the budget.

Does anybody have any experience with the PS offered by Poszetka so far? I am a bit wary of offerings that seem too good to be true ...

• fabric: 78% cotton, 20% modal, 2% cashmere
  • size: 40x40 cm
  • color: blue, green
  • handrolled
eng_pm_macclesfield-pocket-square-5318_1.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I trawled the internet a little more and also received the advice of my twin to check out a polish brand called Poszetka. Took me a while to make the connection to the user with the same name on here. Anyway I am drawn to this design and at 38€ it fits within the budget.

Does anybody have any experience with the PS offered by Poszetka so far? I am a bit wary of offerings that seem too good to be true ...

• handrolled
They're legit. Also check out Granqvist Store. They're currently running a 20 % promo.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• handrolled

@Poszetka is on here. He has great stuff.

Olmabe

Reaction score
They're legit. Also check out Granqvist Store. They're currently running a 20 % promo.

You pointed me to a goldmine of designs that coincide with the style I am currently thriving for. Sadly I had to realize that most of the offerings are 33x33cm with a few exceptions hovering at 36x36cm.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Olmabe,

You are getting lots of good advice in this thread. Some random thoughts to think about:

Beautifully made pocket squares with luxury fabrics should not cost more than about $60. Not sure what that is in Euros... Above $60 the profit margin for the maker tends to be very large.

Top end cashmere or super rare vintage fabrics are rarely used, but if it was, the price could soar to a very high point; but twill silk for prints or luxury Italian cotton and fine Belgian linen fabrics should not raise a pocket squares cost above $60. Note Irish linen is rarely made from flax grown and woven in Ireland - has been this way for a long time. Eastern European linen is not of the same quality as top Belgian and French linen. Italian linen woven for shirts can be very elegant and beautiful.

High end hand rolled edges have very tightly rolled and perfect stitching - but this is rare at any price point. The French pocket square maker Simonnot Godard is one of the few makers with both beautiful fabric and great stitching. I think they average around $60 or so per pocket square.

For size the maker will probably know what works best for the fabric they are working with. But personal preference based on your suit pocket size, and what type of construction you like will also influence the size that works best for you. With a custom made pocket pocket square you can have the size that you want.

With all that said if you fall in love with a design go for it...

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You pointed me to a goldmine of designs that coincide with the style I am currently thriving for. Sadly I had to realize that most of the offerings are 33x33cm with a few exceptions hovering at 36x36cm.
Also don't forget to check @Sam Hober site. Besides giving great advice, he stocks fantastic products, including pocket squares and bespoke ties. Definitely a favorite of mine in the tie department. All my grenadine ties are from his shop.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
How do you guys deal with puff folds making the chest area of your suit bulge out significantly? Aesthetically it means that the right and left side of the jacket looks asymmetric when viewed from the side

Is the solution just to buy a smaller pocket square? Or just to embrace the chest bulge?

Olmabe

Reaction score
Olmabe,

You are getting lots of good advice in this thread. Some random thoughts to think about:

Beautifully made pocket squares with luxury fabrics should not cost more than about $60. Not sure what that is in Euros... Above $60 the profit margin for the maker tends to be very large.

Top end cashmere or super rare vintage fabrics are rarely used, but if it was, the price could soar to a very high point; but twill silk for prints or luxury Italian cotton and fine Belgian linen fabrics should not raise a pocket squares cost above $60. Note Irish linen is rarely made from flax grown and woven in Ireland - has been this way for a long time. Eastern European linen is not of the same quality as top Belgian and French linen. Italian linen woven for shirts can be very elegant and beautiful.

High end hand rolled edges have very tightly rolled and perfect stitching - but this is rare at any price point. The French pocket square maker Simonnot Godard is one of the few makers with both beautiful fabric and great stitching. I think they average around $60 or so per pocket square.

For size the maker will probably know what works best for the fabric they are working with. But personal preference based on your suit pocket size, and what type of construction you like will also influence the size that works best for you. With a custom made pocket pocket square you can have the size that you want.

With all that said if you fall in love with a design go for it...

Thank you for sharing such detailed information! Will look out for the general price hovering around the 60$ mark. Apart from that I do own two pocket squares which I received as a gift. After lurking around here and not being happy with them entirely slipping down the pocket I am now inclined to stick to the 15“ mark first and see how that works out. :)

Also don't forget to check @Sam Hober site. Besides giving great advice, he stocks fantastic products, including pocket squares and bespoke ties. Definitely a favorite of mine in the tie department. All my grenadine ties are from his shop.

Followed your advice and have to agree. Great looking products and one day I might also be a satisfied customer.

At this point I would also like to express my gratitude for the truly helpful feedback and quick reaction time. Truth be told with some forums it can be hit and miss as the „new guy“ but I do feel right at home here. :colgate:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads