• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Johnboy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A matchy pocket square is the first thing you aren't supposed to do when wearing one. He would be better off without one altogether than the one in the pic.
rules... rules need to be broken sometimes!!

The second thing you aren't supposed to do is drive your car faster than the speed limit, but I do sometimes, and you know what?? I have a really fast car and I love to go fast in it sometimes.

Just as you aren't supposed to matchy PS, but you know what?? I just love the matchy PS on this occasion, specially in purple / mauve.. Looks great IMHO and I think he is better off with it in this instance.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The second thing you aren't supposed to do is drive your car faster than the speed limit, but I do sometimes, and you know what?? I have a really fast car and I love to go fast in it sometimes.

Just as you aren't supposed to matchy PS, but you know what?? I just love the matchy PS on this occasion, specially in purple / mauve.. Looks great IMHO and I think he is better off with it in this instance.
Do what you want, but I think you are doing a disservice to those asking for advise. You are usually better off not breaking the rules

Snaporaz

Reaction score

Rules do need to be broken sometimes. Or as George Bernard Shaw put it, "The golden rule is there are no golden rules."

Wearing a matching tie and pocket square isn't very like breaking the speed limit in a sportcar, though, is it? As the impulse to have everything matching is quite conservative, and the rule generally encourages men to be slightly more imaginative, I'd say breaking it is more like driving too slow tha too fast...

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After years of searching I finally located a quality Union Jack pocket square (my British wife is so proud :) )

100% linen (made in Italy with hand sewn edges) found at Cable Car Clothiers in San Francisco. If you want one, better call them quickly. They just had a few and they aren't on their website.

http://www.cablecarclothiers.com/

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a wool navy suit and a white shirt with this tie:

And looking for a pocket square. Probably something that will add a little color to the outfit as it's entirely navy/white centric right now, but still remaining pretty simple. How do you guys feel about something like this:

Change of texture and a little splash of color adds something more interesting than the all navy attire. Tell me what you think, and I'm open to suggestions.
The contrast of texture is an excellent idea. The "splash of color"... is harder to pull off. Wearing just navy and white can be a very elegant and classy look, as long as the blues in the tie and the suit are different enough. The red (and really any color other than white in this case) will draw the eye straight to it. That would be unfortunate---you don't want people to focus on your pocketsquare (I assume?). A white linen ps with a tv fold would be ideal.

Matching a pocket square to a tie is not merely breaking a rule---it looks universally bad.

BatmanEsq

Reaction score
I've been wearing pocket squares for over 10 years now, and seem to stand out from my peers in so doing - not in a brash way, but I guess that most men seem to leave their jacket untouched after putting it on.

Being a broader (read: overweight!) chap, I think a pocket square helps to break up my chest line. A bit of urban camouflage and redirection never hurt!

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After years of searching I finally located a quality Union Jack pocket square (my British wife is so proud :) )

100% linen (made in Italy with hand sewn edges) found at Cable Car Clothiers in San Francisco. If you want one, better call them quickly. They just had a few and they aren't on their website.

Very :slayer:. I picture you on a scooter wearing that.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Union Jack is pretty cool. It's much more amenable to being worn as a pocket square than any other flag that I can think of. The stars and stripes might be workable, especially if you move some elements around to make it more symmetrical.

Celadon

Reaction score
Woods of Shropshire has some really cheap (£8-10) staple-like silk handkerchiefs, such as white pindots on navy. Is there any good reason to avoid these and save up for Turnbull & Asser or other more expensive brands?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Woods of Shropshire has some really cheap (£8-10) staple-like silk handkerchiefs, such as white pindots on navy. Is there any good reason to avoid these and save up for Turnbull & Asser or other more expensive brands?

At those prices, my guess (since I cannot handle them) is that the bargain PS would be quite a bit lower in silk quality and the finishing would probably not be up to the standards of T&A. I'm assuming they're made in China from export-quality silk.

Personally, I would rather have one splendid PS than ten cheap-looking ones.

Last edited:

ILoveSportCoats

Reaction score
Hi,

I know there has been over 200 pages produced on this thread, but I have a quick question and perhaps anyone can answer and help me understand.

What would be a good color pocket square with a dark navy sport coat and white or light blue shirt?

I've been using a white silk PS with or without small dark motifs but I am getting tired of the look.

I am wondering: what would be the next best color after a classic white PS on the attire I just quoted?

Last edited:

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are near Macclesfiled I would drive over to the silk museum and pick up a few of the squares they have for sale. T&A has some of thier stuff made thier and some very good deals can be had. My grandfather lives just up the road from the museum and I make a stop there every time we fly over, well worth the trip.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stylo2000