• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Well, I thought I remembered seeing more. I could just be getting old, though.
wink.gif

Metlin, We did have more wool pocket squares in the past and what many do not realize is that we don't have any ties or pocket squares for sale just rolls of silk, wool, linen, cotton etc.. (So no you are not just getting old.) If someone emaisl us and asks can you make this fabric that I see in your tie area into a pocket square often we can. However because we are so busy - it is difficult to explain everything we make on our website - my apologies I am slowly improving our website. Atkinsons Irish poplin is wool and silk and very difficult* to make into pocket squares but makes beautiful usually unique wool pocket squares. We have a new wool project that I have been working on for a long time that may work well as pocket squares for the fall. In which case we would have a permanent wool pocket square collection * They can take many hours to make because the wool is difficult to form into edges - we are the only makers in the world of Atkinsons Irish poplin pocket squares. AceCow, Your photos are in this thread are beautiful - good work. Mafoofan, You make interesting points and they work well for you. I am wondering do you think that ideas about combining colors and patterns can be different for different people? And also different for the same person at different points of time? I ask because I tend to wear different combinations based on how I feel or perhaps want to feel.. As an example in a blizzard I could wear cheerful colors because that is the way I want to feel - although in a blizzard scarves might be more to the point. Or in the middle of summer I might wear very dark somber colors to a serious meeting - again my point being I wear pocket squares and ties based on feelings quite often. In the same way I might wear a bow tie.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Spoo, arent you German? Like, you live in Germany and speak German and etc. LOL. Some of your comments are hilarious b/c one day you speak as if you are from the ATL and then the next as if you are european.
I think perhaps you have fallen into the Spoo-Spoozy Vortex.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Metlin,

We did have more wool pocket squares in the past and what many do not realize is that we don't have any ties or pocket squares for sale just rolls of silk, wool, linen, cotton etc.. (So no you are not just getting old.)

If someone emaisl us and asks can you make this fabric that I see in your tie area into a pocket square often we can. However because we are so busy - it is difficult to explain everything we make on our website - my apologies I am slowly improving our website.

Atkinsons Irish poplin is wool and silk and very difficult* to make into pocket squares but makes beautiful usually unique wool pocket squares.

We have a new wool project that I have been working on for a long time that may work well as pocket squares for the fall. In which case we would have a permanent wool pocket square collection

* They can take many hours to make because the wool is difficult to form into edges - we are the only makers in the world of Atkinsons Irish poplin pocket squares.

AceCow,

Your photos are in this thread are beautiful - good work.

Mafoofan,

You make interesting points and they work well for you.

I am wondering do you think that ideas about combining colors and patterns can be different for different people?

And also different for the same person at different points of time? I ask because I tend to wear different combinations based on how I feel or perhaps want to feel..

As an example in a blizzard I could wear cheerful colors because that is the way I want to feel - although in a blizzard scarves might be more to the point.

Or in the middle of summer I might wear very dark somber colors to a serious meeting - again my point being I wear pocket squares and ties based on feelings quite often. In the same way I might wear a bow tie.

Bless you for your wonderful service
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Yeah, the black tie was just a thought, I was definitely leaning more towards the wedding tie. Are there are other popular or acceptable tie/PS combos for the groom besides a bow tie/wedding tie and a linen or silk PS? The ceremony is going to be outdoors near the ocean (not directly on the sand, but near the water), and the reception will be indoors at a nearby restaurant, nothing too fancy. And I'm not too concerned with traditional "rules" so I can pretty much wear anything I want. Just need to make sure that I don't outshine the bride
wink.gif

In that case, you can wear pretty much whatever tie and square you want, other than black.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I think perhaps you have fallen into the Spoo-Spoozy Vortex.

Rough place to be, dude. Rough place to be.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
In that case, you can wear pretty much whatever tie and square you want, other than black.

Haha, thanks...I guess in retrospect my original questions sound kinda pointless now
shog[1].gif
I originally thought maybe I'd try to follow some of the standard wedding rules, but I think it will be much more interesting to break some of them and do something a little different. Thanks for the help anyway!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The background or predominant color of your pocket square should not be the same as your shirt.
I haven't read the entire thread, but this is great advice. I always like the square to be kinda "on it's own" only a slight nod to the jacket or shirt.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think of something like this ? Too matchy matchy ? Ignore the fake flower etc
76683_1221474592926_1710799147_396942_6617646_n.jpg

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
What do you think of something like this ? Too matchy matchy ?
Ignore the fake flower etc

Too matchy-matchy, with or without the flower.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
What do you think of something like this ? Too matchy matchy ? Ignore the fake flower etc
76683_1221474592926_1710799147_396942_6617646_n.jpg

I love the tie, but I think having both the tie and pocket square with intricate, tight patterns is too matchy-matchy. The result is complicated and busy.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Im a beast, Im a dog, Im a motherfuckin problem. OK, youre a goon, but whats a goon to a goblin?

Sig Worthy, Charlie sheen has taken over your body.

The Tall Englishman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Better, but the shirt could stand to have more white in it:

14758d3c.jpg

The colors work together, but everything (shirt, tie, square) is too dark and saturated.

I love this look. The texture of the tie really lifts the cheque jacket and stripped shirts. Beautifully layered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads