• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pls tell my wife...

Smash or Clash

• Smash - perfect for a cruise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clash - dude, you're color blind

Votes: 40 100.0%

• Total voters

maker

Reaction score
That this is okay for a carribean cruise:

Sorry for awful picture. Sportcoat is light grn cashmere. Shirt is purple/pink on white background.

I thought it was great, she asked if I was color blind.

Any other recommendations for shirts? I prefer patterns because the sportcoat is so plain. Thinking blue, orange?, yellow?

Thanks for your assistance in this domestic conflict.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The pants and jacket not having enough contrast would be a bigger problem than the shirt.

I'm siding with the wife. Besides, if we all agree with her she'll approve of you spending more time on SF.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though it's not a violent clash of colors, the shirt and the jacket do not look good together. The shirt would look fine with a navy blazer, but it overpowers the pale green of the jacket that you've paired with it - there's too much contrast and not enough balance of colors. Light blue would be a more natural choice, or a pattern in fairly light colors that would harmonize with the jacket, but not overpower it.

However, Claghorn is right - if we agree with your wife, you automatically get more permission to hang out here :satisfied: .

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carribbean vacation = bring one lightweight navy/dark blue sportcoat, either linen, wool, or a blend. Goes with basically every light shade of trouser you could wear, as well as denim. You don't want to pack heavy, and you don't want to be "that guy" wearing the green sportcoat every night.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your wife is right. Others have said everything necessary...perhaps this outfit is for an over-indulging food night where you can spill on yourself and not worry about damaging your clothing.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry OP, but as others have said, your wife is right here. Ditch the jacket in favor of a navy odd jacket, ideally one in linen if you have one.

If you have to wear the jacket, cream colored pants are a better choice. I like medium grey trousers with pretty much everything so I would also consider that (though medium grey trousers don't exactly scream "cruise"). The shirt should be white or light blue (maybe cream) and keep the shirt patterns to a minimum. You're already going to be wearing a green jacket. You don't want to be the guy with both the green jacket and the loud shirts that don't match every night.

What other odd jackets do you own?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your wife is right. Others have said everything necessary...perhaps this outfit is for an over-indulging food night where you can spill on yourself and not worry about damaging your clothing.

and preferably then fling it overboard.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
agree with the wife.....

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too concur with consensus here and wife for reasons stated by Claghorn and Crusty.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also..is that a black Casio Shock with a brown belt?
Lose that watch with that outfit.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with what others have said about the colors but you also need to focus on fit. The fit of both the jacket and the pants is terrible!

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with what others have said about the colors but you also need to focus on fit. The fit of both the jacket and the pants is terrible!

To be fair, it's a little difficult to judge the jacket fit given his posture in taking the photo, but after putting my visualization hat on I can see what you mean.
nod[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads