• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit

nilfire77

Reaction score
Here's a better photo after some steaming on the fabrics... And hopefully it tells a different story this time round... I noticed a little puckering near the right armhole on the back... Is it normal?
front_large.jpg
back_large.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
The "fabric bunching" is intentional - it's intended to leave room to move your arms.

Well, you can argue that it's "drape" or whatever, but bunching fabric under the arms is certainly not required to allow arm movement.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vertical lines across the back are ok. Diagonal lines, like this, reflect the cutting. This is your low shoulder and it needs further adjusting.

Yika

Reaction score
nilfire77, mind sharing the cost (pm if you feel more comfortable that way)?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything based on one picture. May be the way you are standing at the moment. It really isn't that bad.

Sleeve length and shirt cuff look great

nilfire77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I wouldn't do anything based on one picture. May be the way you are standing at the moment. It really isn't that bad.

Sleeve length and shirt cuff look great

Well, I took quite a few shots on the back and yet the puckering remains visible near the right armhole. The left is ok though.

Will the adjustment on the affected area require substantial handiwork?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quickest fix is to add a little pad on your right shoulder. That will pick the shoulder up and remove the diagonal wrinkle.

The other way is to remove the sleeve, open the shoulder, recut the shoulder, make the shoulder again and put the sleeve on. The right shoulder looks a little bumpy. Might correct that along the way.

nilfire77

Reaction score
Quickest fix is to add a little pad on your right shoulder. That will pick the shoulder up and remove the diagonal wrinkle.

The other way is to remove the sleeve, open the shoulder, recut the shoulder, make the shoulder again and put the sleeve on. The right shoulder looks a little bumpy. Might correct that along the way.

Thanks for the pointers!

nilfire77

Reaction score
The downside over at Iris is that there's no 3-way mirror there. So for those heading down to Iris for business, it's best to have a 'spotter' with you...

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chris,

How much do you think the lack of padding and "bumpiness" in the shoulders may reflect the preference of some posters for very little or no padding in their shoulders? I have noticed this with many members who have requested natural shoulders, etc. on their commissions; natural imperfections (e.g. low shoulders, unevenness in the shoulders, etc.) is much more apparent if you adhere strictly to the "no/minimal padding" dictum... Having made a few garments both with minimal padding in the shoulders (uneven shoulders, etc. plainly obvious) as well as garments with slightly more padding (to even out natural structural imperfections), I'm leaning towards the second in my future commissions, i.e. asking my tailors to try and conceal some of my natural flaws.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nilfire77
Here's a better photo after some steaming on the fabrics... And hopefully it tells a different story this time round...

I noticed a little puckering near the right armhole on the back... Is it normal?

front_large.jpg

back_large.jpg

The new pictures definitely look better (not that the first pics were bad at all). I like what they've made for you... I personally like the slightly over-extended shoulders, as I think it gives your upper body a more clearly defined "V" shape and nice balance relatively to the skirt flair. It's quite a shapely garment, so I would be concerned about narrowing the shoulders any further, as it might accentuate the skirt flair and your hips, rather than your shoulders. Also I think cutting shoulders too neat to your body can restrict movement in your arms, or at least that has been my experience.

You should post a link of this thread to gshen's Singapore bespoke threak so that they can cross-reference each other... Another nice example of the above-average work that Nani and Jeffrey do...
nod[1].gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the construction of the shoulder is done well you shouldn't notice any difference between a padded or non padded shoulder. Should not be any bumps in either.

Originally Posted by academe
Chris,

How much do you think the lack of padding and "bumpiness" in the shoulders may reflect the preference of some posters for very little or no padding in their shoulders? I have noticed this with many members who have requested natural shoulders, etc. on their commissions; natural imperfections (e.g. low shoulders, unevenness in the shoulders, etc.) is much more apparent if you adhere strictly to the "no/minimal padding" dictum... Having made a few garments both with minimal padding in the shoulders (uneven shoulders, etc. plainly obvious) as well as garments with slightly more padding (to even out natural structural imperfections), I'm leaning towards the second in my future commissions, i.e. asking my tailors to try and conceal some of my natural flaws.

facet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Looks better. I'd keep it.

@ Despos,
Still patiently waiting for the chest shape difference explanation if you have the time or inclination. Very curious.

My noob's interpretation took it to mean that Asian males tend to have smaller chests than North American counterparts. So, if the OP has a larger chest, then it would fill out the suit more, causing the V to push out into more of a U shape. Having more fabric could make up for that by covering more of the circumference of the chest to bring the sides of the gorge (is that what it's called?) closer together.

Am I off, Despos?

@ nilfire77: That's a very nice looking suit, I really like the colour that you chose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads