• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleated pants - can i just hang them normally ?

philippeb

Reaction score
I couldent find an answer to my question in detail when i used google, so please bear over with me asking such a mundane question.

I have a wardrobe with a pants rack like this one

http://www.closetstoadore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Pants-Rack-empty-straight.jpg

But i am not entirely sure if i should hang pleated pants on this.
Normally i avoid pleated pants because the pleats seem so fragile to me, but i would like to give them a try, so i thought if they can hang here without problems i was good to go.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldent find an answer to my question in detail when i used google, so please bear over with me asking such a mundane question.

I have a wardrobe with a pants rack like this one

http://www.closetstoadore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Pants-Rack-empty-straight.jpg

But i am not entirely sure if i should hang pleated pants on this.
Normally i avoid pleated pants because the pleats seem so fragile to me, but i would like to give them a try, so i thought if they can hang here without problems i was good to go.

Thanks
smile.gif

Pleats are not fragile. You can hang pleated trousers in the same way as flat-front trousers.

philippeb

Reaction score
Okay.
That might have come out wrong.
I was merely wondering if, lets say i hang the pants and they are not folded where the pleates are pressed, would i have to take them to a drycleaner again, or can the pleates resist being jung up crooked.

It is really hard for me to explain but i hope you get the gist of where i am trying to get with this.
I dont wanna stress over hanging them perfectly evry time.

starro

Reaction score
Assuming we're talking about woolen trousers, the pleats should be quite durable. The question is, Have you ever had pleats destroyed from improper hanging?

philippeb

Reaction score

Assuming we're talking about woolen trousers, the pleats should be quite durable. The question is, Have you ever had pleats destroyed from improper hanging?

Well, i never bought pleated pants before.
But i am not worried about "destroying" them.
I knlw how they are sewn and i know they wouldent break.
But i assume that if i hang them impropperly the press fold would go crooked and they would look stupid until i got them to a drycleaner.

The thing is, i am a university student.
I love to dress well, but i have to keep my funds in mind as well.
Thats why i dont want to invest in somthing that could become expensive to keep in shape.

But as far as i can tell here this wont be a problem i assume ?

starro

Reaction score
Well, i never bought pleated pants before.
But i am not worried about "destroying" them.
I knlw how they are sewn and i know they wouldent break.
But i assume that if i hang them impropperly the press fold would go crooked and they would look stupid until i got them to a drycleaner.

The thing is, i am a university student.
I love to dress well, but i have to keep my funds in mind as well.
Thats why i dont want to invest in somthing that could become expensive to keep in shape.

But as far as i can tell here this wont be a problem i assume ?

If you are worried about this, then I suggest getting a heavy, rather than lightweight, wool dress pants. Heavy cloth drapes better, resists wrinkles, and can take a press well. Not that this is much of an issue to begin with.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another one over thinking a non-existent problem.

Pleats are NOT fragile
Cannot be destroyed
Do not magically disappear for no good reason when hung up
They do not "go crooked'

Do the creases fall out gratuitously?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads