• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

please recommend a watch

this_is_james

Reaction score
my watch just broke so i need to buy one. please help me choose one with the following criteria. thanks!

1. steel-strap (better if interchangable w/ leather strap)

2. "dress" watch (no sport watches).

3. versatile. can be worn w/ jeans and an expensive suit.

4. timeless. classic. sophisticated. not flashy. think if you can only own one watch what would it be.

5. budget: around $1800 for retail prices.

ps. right now i'm liking the omega seamaster aqua terra but is it formal enough?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nautische instrument muhle glashutte mercurius at less than $1,000
m12422m.jpg

JO3B

Reaction score
id also go with a carerra. if you ebay, you can have yourself a nice one under your price range

Rolo

Reaction score
I like vintage Omegas. I'd also go with a leather strap because it works for casual and I think it is more elegant as a dress watch.

I've purchased a number of watches from www.artoftime.com and have good luck with them. They have a couple of nice Omega's that fit within your budget.

In steel for $650

om008.jpg

In 14K gold for $1880

124218.jpg

You can even pick up a vintage chronograph that doesn't look clunky. Here's a steel Heuer Carrera for $1750.

hr018.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo

You can even pick up a vintage chronograph that doesn't look clunky. Here's a steel Heuer Carrera for $1750.

hr018.jpg

i believe that is a good price for a vintage heuer carrera- assuming it is in very good condition.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't the OP ask for a steel band?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to increase your spending limit slightly, I recommend a gently pre-owned Rolex DateJust or Air King.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
James,

I guess we are both in the market for roughly the same budget. I missed the thread earlier but now we can compare notes.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. steel-strap (better if interchangable w/ leather strap)
2. "dress" watch (no sport watches).
3. versatile. can be worn w/ jeans and an expensive suit.
4. timeless. classic. sophisticated. not flashy.
5. budget: around $1800 for retail prices.
I think you will find very difficult to find a "dress" watch with a steel bracelet. The two criteria are just generally mutually exclusive.

I would recommend looking at Longines's "Master Collection" watches. They're not sports watches and I believe they all come with a steel bracelet as an option.

If you're not married to the idea of a "dress" watch but are open to versatile sports watches, here are a couple of ideas that fit your criteria 1, 3, 4 and 5:

Sinn Pilot Chronograph (356 Flieger) - MSRP $1,450 (with s/s band)
Sinn356AcrylicBracelet.JPG

356-FLIEGER-AUTO-1.jpg

Alpina Avalanche Regulateur 1883 - MSRP 1,290 (for rubber strap but exists in s/s)
AL-650LBBB4A6.jpg

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. James,
By definition a dress watch is usually sold with a leather or alligator/crocodile band, since the latter is a more formal aesthetic. There are a few watches that are considered in the sport category, but sufficiently formal to pair with an odd jacket or even a suit--just make sure you're standing to the Rolex Sub guy.

Here are a few suggestions:
1) Rolex Datejust (used, around 2.5k); courtesy of AC.
2) IWC Portofino on rice bracelet: very comfortable, much maligned for its ETA movement, but can be found at around your asking price.
3) Nomos Tangente (strap only)
4) Maurice Lacroix Pontos
5) Oris Atelier
6) Omega Aqua Terra
7) Limes Pharao

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
norcaltransplant - did you just pick up the UN in your avatar? If so, congrats!
smile.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
Where does one get a good price on Nomos and Glashutte?

Nomos - you're pretty much stuck with MSRP (through Nomos itself or the very few distributors, e.g. http://www.watchbuys.com/Nomos.htm, or http://www.watch-links.com/)

Glashutte is widely distributed as part of the Swatch group, so I would first try with your local authorized dealer and see what kind of discount he can give you (it's always useful to build a relationship with an AD). Then, look at grey market dealers in Asia (e.g. http://www.timephilosophy.com/)

FYI - I bought my GO from Timephilosophy and it was a good experience

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads