• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playful elements for a Sport Coat?

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
or how about turnback cuffs with a funky liner. That way you can dress it up or down at leisure.

Captian_Redbeard3.jpg

Sport Coats are for shooting, right?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rmanoj
How about more prominent turnback cuffs than the picture above - four sleeve buttons all buttoning the cuffs down? Also consider pockets (including the breast pocket) with buttoned-down flaps. A belted back would be fun as well.
I was just going to suggest the above. Exactly. All traditional sport jacket styles. You are in USA aren't you? I've always liked the treatment some of the western outfit makers do - there are a few around Denver. The western cut is nice and they do some interesting detailing. If I was in USA I'd be looking to some of the western stuff for casual. My last corduroy western coat from Denver looked great with jeans etc. And I was younger and skinny.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I was just going to suggest the above. Exactly. All traditional sport jacket styles.

You are in USA aren't you?

I've always liked the treatment some of the western outfit makers do - there are a few around Denver. The western cut is nice and they do some interesting detailing. If I was in USA I'd be looking to some of the western stuff for casual. My last corduroy western coat from Denver looked great with jeans etc. And I was younger and skinny.

Western wear is very regional, and easily takes one into "costume" territory (see above).

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poppers instead of buttons, and zipped cuffs.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Complacency Kills
I like the idea of a simple sport coat that doesn't had a lot of bells and whistles to it.

The problem being that it would then just be an odd lounge jacket and not a sports jacket. It has to have sporting features to make it a sports jacket. Some would say that a sports cloth is all you need, though I personally would prefer to have more clearly distinguishing features.

Originally Posted by blahman
eh.gif
It is the type of response I expected from SFers when I clicked on this thread.
It's almost like asking the Amish for suggestions to blinging up.

There's a lot of truth to this.

I think that sleeves cuffs closing with links would get annoying after they lose their novelty value. A guy just wants a good coat he can thrown on and run out the door without having to fiddle with links.

Suggestion that I would consider are pleats, tucks, half or fully belted styles, as well as storm latches. I actually also like Gillie collars, or other types of fancy collars. There are more types of collar than just the usual SB and DB collar. I also like to cut with extra panels. The idea of a second chest pocket is actually a very good one - Safari jackets are cut like this. Also pocket flaps on chest pockets are a classic sporting feature. Bellows pockets are another option.

All of these help to stop the coat looking like just another boring odd jacket for business wear. That is, they make it look more like a SPORTS jacket. It's called that for a reason, you know.

bmac11c

Reaction score
Hi Mark, Did you have this done locally? Very nice! Bmac
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Had a light-weight, sports jacket done in a light blue with cream windowpane fabric and mother-of-pearl buttons for summer. When it came back the lapel buttonhole was done in cream thread (all other buttonholes were not contrasting). I didn't ask for it, but I also like it on that jacket. It's flashy, no doubt and I wouldn't want it on all my jackets, but I wouldn't wear this one to anything but the most casual events anyway, so I actually like it.
f059c149.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads