• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playful elements for a Sport Coat?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
When people bespoke stuff, there often seems to be a need to put in some element that differentiates it from something off the rack either to show off that it's custom or to justify to yourself why you went custom. Nine times out of ten it looks bad. A well fitting coat in a fabric you like is enough to make it stand out from something you bought in a store and enough to justify going custom. I recommend reserving the unique elements to something incidental, like the lining, or something functional, like psg's Blackberry pocket.

That's why one must ponder carefully how to get to that one time out of ten that it looks good. And thus, that's exactly the reason why this thread was started.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had a light-weight, sports jacket done in a light blue with cream windowpane fabric and mother-of-pearl buttons for summer. When it came back the lapel buttonhole was done in cream thread (all other buttonholes were not contrasting). I didn't ask for it, but I also like it on that jacket.

It's flashy, no doubt and I wouldn't want it on all my jackets, but I wouldn't wear this one to anything but the most casual events anyway, so I actually like it.

f059c149.jpg

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Semi Norfolk jacket
Cuffed sleeves
f2v2w.jpg

A panel of flat LDL sewed jut under the surface of the back fabric that would display a message of your choice when lit, like, "My parents went to Italy and all I got with this dumb bespoke jacket" or "for a good time contact SpooPoker at www.styleforum.net" or "for a really, really good time don't contact SpooPoker at www.styleforum.net"

The lining offers the best option, the extravagence becomes on a need-to-know basis.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
That's why one must ponder carefully how to get to that one time out of ten that it looks good. And thus, that's exactly the reason why this thread was started.

I'm not trying to be mean, but if you have to ask on SF, then you're likely not getting that 1 out of 10 times. Those who can pull it off tend to be those who've had lots of experience trying and failing over the years. I'm not saying it can't happen. It just usually doesn't.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
pics??

Vox and I posted independently-inspired photos before imageshack stopped play nice. The trick is two working buttonholes, back-to-back on each flap of the cuff.

rmanoj

Reaction score
How about more prominent turnback cuffs than the picture above - four sleeve buttons all buttoning the cuffs down? Also consider pockets (including the breast pocket) with buttoned-down flaps. A belted back would be fun as well.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Had a light-weight, sports jacket done in a light blue with cream windowpane fabric and mother-of-pearl buttons for summer. When it came back the lapel buttonhole was done in cream thread (all other buttonholes were not contrasting). I didn't ask for it, but I also like it on that jacket.
f059c149.jpg

I have a similar fabric being made up now for a summer sports coat.

While I wouldn't think to ask for the contrasting stitching, it looks neat without being overwhelming and I think it falls under the realm of "happy accident" rather than "mistake." Still I agree with this:

Originally Posted by Complacency Kills
I like the idea of a simple sport coat that doesn't had a lot of bells and whistles to it.

Opt for a sport coat with a unique pattern...

The fabric and the presence of patch pockets (should you choose), the choice of lining and buttons, and the excellent fit that you'll hopefully get should be enough. I think beyond that we're getting into dangerous waters.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif
It is the type of response I expected from SFers when I clicked on this thread.
It's almost like asking the Amish for suggestions to blinging up.

It seems like just about the only fun recommended by SF is getting one made in a loud checks fabric.

Surely there are interesting touches you can add to a bespoke piece without being tacky.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I'm not trying to be mean, but if you have to ask on SF, then you're likely not getting that 1 out of 10 times. Those who can pull it off tend to be those who've had lots of experience trying and failing over the years. I'm not saying it can't happen. It just usually doesn't.

Again, that's exactly why I asked this question in SF. I have no prior experience with deviation from classical style, but one must start somewhere. There must be some SF'ers out there that have been "trying and failing over the years", and thus asking from the collective experience of SF, IMO, is a good idea. The end result of this maybe a failure, but if one never try, one never know. And I hate "what if"s.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I kinda like the link idea, as most folks won't notice.
The more I think about it the more of a good idea it seems. I can always use the normal buttons in normal situations. Or can switch out to something different when going out on a date night for example. Or can even just switch one button (each side) out just for a little touch. There seems to have a lot of room to play without sacrificing the traditional look.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano

It's flashy, no doubt and I wouldn't want it on all my jackets, but I wouldn't wear this one to anything but the most casual events anyway, so I actually like it.

f059c149.jpg

I like this much much more than the felt flower look.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Onix, I am known to dress very un-conservative business dress but I wouldn't go with either of those and I like the flashy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics