• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plain toes vs. captoes - which are more formal?

cacky

Reaction score
Hi all - this is probably a rookie question, but can someone please tell me which are more formal, plaintoes or captoes? I was looking at some Alden shoes and they make both balmorals and bluchers in plain toe as well as captoe.

My sense is that captoes are more formal, but I was curious whether plaintoe bluchers can also be worn in a business casual setting (whereas AE and Alden captoes look too formal, in my view).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, as I am still moving up the "learning curve" here. Thanks!

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything else equal, plain toe is more formal. The less decoration, the more formal is a good rule of thumb.

Of course, a plain toe blucher will still be way less formal than a cap toe oxford.

kryn13

Reaction score
I had the same question. So an unadorned black wholecut would qualify as more formal than a black captoe?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This gets a bit tricky. Etienne rightly points out that less decoration is generally more formal. Following this rule, black tie takes a plaintoe bal. But a captoe bal is recommended for the dressiest business purposes -- it's the ideal interview shoe, for example. Thus, for day wear/lounge suits, a captoe bal is more formal than a plaintoe wholecut. Sort of like peaked lapels that way -- proper with black tie, but relatively uncommon in an office, making them a bit more fashion-foward for daywear.

cacky

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Just to sort everything out, am I correct in ranking the following in terms of most formal to least formal, specifically for a business/professional setting?

#1: Cap-toe balmoral (most suitable for business attire)
#2: Plain-toe balmoral
#3: Plain-toe blucher
#4: Cap-toe blucher (least formal for business attire)

Also, are any of these actually suitable for business casual, or even for casual attire (like with khakis or jeans)?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cacky
Thanks for the help guys. Just to sort everything out, am I correct in ranking the following in terms of most formal to least formal, specifically for a business/professional setting?

Also, are any of these actually suitable for business casual, or even for casual attire (like with khakis or jeans)?

Personally I think a plain toe blucher is the least formal of those four and may not really be all that appropriate for a conservative (note I say conservative) business setting.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a tricky question. The plain cap toe will be the more formal, but I think it is hard to compare a plain toe in a sleek last. To me, the latter appears slightly less formal, because it appears modern, sleek and edgy.

Look up the John Lobb Beckett on the 8000 last or the Edward Green Carnegie on the 888 last.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cacky

While bals are clearly more dressy or "formal" than bluchers, I doubt that there is an iota of practical difference on the "formality continuum" between captoe and plain-toe bals or between captoe and plaintoe bluchers. The vast majority of the male population, even those in a business/professional setting, are going to be more-or-less oblivious to difference between bals and bluchers, nor are they going to be congnizant of the "rule" (more revered in the forum culture than elsewhere, methinks) that wearing bluchers with a suit is subpar. Far less are they going to be attuned to any nuances between captoe and plain-toe within a give shoe style.

The logic concerning black tie is that captoes bals are so much the classic shoe of business that wearing them with black tie is kind of third-rate, whereas highly polished plain-toe calfskin bals are acceptable. Personally, I would much prefer opera pumps to either.

I will wear leather soled bluchers with khakis if I am also wearing a jacket, e.g., a blazer. I don't wear jeans, period. If I did, I would consider them better paired with cowboy boots or work boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads