• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinot Noir

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I have several US Pinots I really like. Some vintages (not all) of Cambria Pinots are quite good and the Julia's Vineyard bottling at $20per isn't a bad value. 2006 was wonderful. Stepping up the cost ladder, Goldeneye is just yummy, but at $50+ per is a more serious commitment. I've not had as good luck finding Washington/Oregon Pinots I like as much.

if you like the goldeneye, you mgiht try their entry level bottling. i haven't stopped by there in a couple of years, but i really preferred it to the goldeneye. the duckhorns are good people, but i think there was a real concerted effort to make a serious wine ... and pn is just different than merlot. their entry level was bright, juicy, delicious and not at all simple ... good anderson valley pn.
of course, my recommendation (which matt will poopoo), would be to pick up some of the navarro "a'l ancienne". great pinot at about $30.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
if you like the goldeneye, you mgiht try their entry level bottling. i haven't stopped by there in a couple of years, but i really preferred it to the goldeneye. the duckhorns are good people, but i think there was a real concerted effort to make a serious wine ... and pn is just different than merlot. their entry level was bright, juicy, delicious and not at all simple ... good anderson valley pn.
of course, my recommendation (which matt will poopoo), would be to pick up some of the navarro "a'l ancienne". great pinot at about $30.

The good news (for me) on the Goldeneye was that a local shop had the 2006 on sale last year for $29 (incl. tax). I picked up a case and still have about 5 left. After blasting through the first few bottles and then pricing their replacements I'm starting to go into hoarding mode on them. I've allocated one more to drink soon and then have 4 I'm letting sleep for a while.

I will seek out their entry level PN. Is that the Decoy? The only other of their Decoy products I've had was an entry-level Bord blend I believe (maybe a Cab, I can't remember). Wasn't really that impressed, seemed a bit thin and watery. Was on a WBTG list at a local restaurant, so maybe not a fair try.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, believe it was the decoy. it's the anderson valley one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads