• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pic request for dark green grenadine ties

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David, Don't worry about it - I purchased the midnight blue secondhand and the dark navy/forest green grenadine ties from you direct. I chalked up the apparent difference in real vs online colour of the ties to variations in computer screens more than anything else. FWIW, my reference for navy is suiting, which is consistently darker than the dark navy on your site. Your ties remain amongst the best-made and most often-worn in my collection, so really, I have no real complaints.
smile.gif
Except maybe... how do you solve pulls in grenadine ties???!!
laugh.gif

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
David, Don't worry about it - I purchased the midnight blue secondhand and the dark navy/forest green grenadine ties from you direct. I chalked up the apparent difference in real vs online colour of the ties to variations in computer screens more than anything else. FWIW, my reference for navy is suiting, which is consistently darker than the dark navy on your site. Your ties remain amongst the best-made and most often-worn in my collection, so really, I have no real complaints.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Apropos, Sounds good - but please do email in the future if I can help in any way - your order is not finished until you are happy. The trick with pulls is not to cut them and gently pull them back into the silk. Patience is required - one gentleman told me that he used a jewelers glass to help with the small details and that it took him a long time but he did a perfect job of fixing his tie. In this case a picture would be worth a thousand words and when time allows I will make a photo tutorial. I am thinking on switching over to an iMac computer in the near future as it may help with more accurate colors.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
laugh.gif
first thing I thought. WTF is with that thing?

Only way that works is if thats really his wallet. edit - Were you not trying to do a small briefcase?
devil.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
laugh.gif

We will repair pulls on grenadines purchased from us at no charge. I've done this for a few customers. The same craftsmen that make our pocket squares do the repair, so they're pretty good at this kind of thing.
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
I am thinking on switching over to an iMac computer in the near future as it may help with more accurate colors.
David, you could just get the Apple monitor, or even from another manufacturer that also uses the same IPS panel. You can find out a bit more by Googling. In general, the IPS panels have better colors but it would still be best to calibrate them. You can buy a fairly cheap color calibrator for under $100. I have one built-in to my photo-editing laptop.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
David, you could just get the Apple monitor, or even from another manufacturer that also uses the same IPS panel. You can find out a bit more by Googling. In general, the IPS panels have better colors but it would still be best to calibrate them. You can buy a fairly cheap color calibrator for under $100. I have one built-in to my photo-editing laptop.
Kent, Thank you for the ideas. Calibrating sounds good. I am fascinated by the current Macs - I think that the iMacs are simply beautiful so I am looking for reasons to justify new computers. By the way I sometimes see cooking classes here in Thailand and I think of you. An article in the paper that I recently read on Thai food in 5 star hotels claims that much of the food is not really traditional Thai. As in not enough hot peppers etc.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Apropos,

Sounds good - but please do email in the future if I can help in any way - your order is not finished until you are happy.

The trick with pulls is not to cut them and gently pull them back into the silk. Patience is required - one gentleman told me that he used a jewelers glass to help with the small details and that it took him a long time but he did a perfect job of fixing his tie.

In this case a picture would be worth a thousand words and when time allows I will make a photo tutorial.

I am thinking on switching over to an iMac computer in the near future as it may help with more accurate colors.

David,

Do you know if there is a video that shows the process of "repairing" a loose thread? I accidentally pulled one the other day and the silk came all the way out.
ffffuuuu.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
This dude looks good,I am thinking that the green grenadine is strictly for sport coats,I don't think it would look good with suits.

Au contraire, my friend. I saw Spoo pull off a green gren with a suit and it looked sick

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
David, Do you know if there is a video that shows the process of "repairing" a loose thread? I accidentally pulled one the other day and the silk came all the way out.
ffffuuuu.gif

k4lnamja, There might be but not one that I know of.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo: Is your grenadine 3 3/4 inches?

Kent: Same question.

(This question of grenadine width can be extended to you as well, Threadbearer.)

I'm asking because I'm interested in picking up probably two of Sam's grenadines, but I'm thinking of getting them 3 1/4 or 3 1/2 inches... but I'm not sure if grenadines look better a little wider or not.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most of my ties are available in 3.5" and 3". I wear my grenadines the same width as all my other ties, 3". I doubt you'd want them wider or thinner than usual.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a great colour in its own right. A happy colour.

Think something like:

Untitled3.jpg

Does the facial hair work because of or in spite of the lack of hair on the head. And a white beard vs. silver...keep or lose?

Sorry for the thread hijack but I'm obsessing about this at the moment.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Most of my ties are available in 3.5" and 3". I wear my grenadines the same width as all my other ties, 3". I doubt you'd want them wider or thinner than usual.

I'll have to measure again when I go home today, but I'm pretty sure the green grenadine I bought from you is closer to 3.5" than 3".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics