1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Perception of Tissot Watches

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by foryoureyesonly, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

I don't understand all this Seiko hate. They are great watches. All this "Swiss made" crap is 99% hype. Most of the movements are all the same. Why would anyone be embarassed to wear a Seiko?

2. Listi

Listi Senior member

Agreed. Heck, I'd love a Fortis watch, but I've never seen one in person, and they are way out of my price range. Let me explain in one more way about what I mean by a watch being respectable. I think this is the best description yet: You go to a doctor's visit and your doctor is wearing a Rolex. Do you feel embarrassed by having a Tissot or like no big deal, they're both great watches even though his costs a ton more? You're in a business meeting and a rich executive is wearing a Breitling, do you feel embarrassed or that even though his watch is so much more expensive, that yours is still worth of respect, despite the price difference. I would absolutely NOT feel embarrassed wearing an Oris watch in either one of those situations--just different and a matter of preference VERSUS buying it because I can't afford a super expensive watch. I'm just still trying to get a better idea of the Tissot brand though. I'm sure this makes pretty good sense. If I was wearing a Seiko, I would feel utterly embarrassed amongst those other watches.
    I know what you mean man... Last time I was in the room with someone who was wearing something better than I was, I had a nervous breakdown. I had to leave the room to hide my tears. How fragile is your psyche? Grow some balls or spend the cash and stop complaining. fwiw, i want a seiko but i don't wear watches very often so i haven't bought one

1 person likes this.
  3. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

I would probably feel better than someone with a Rolex honestly because Rolex are basically just that, just another Rolex it's always the same. Honestly most watched use the basic Vouljoux ETA 7750 25 jewel movement, most watches with this will vary in price range from $500 to $10,000+ it just depends on what you want. Rolex is just another brand name is what I'm saying, they're still highly manufactured but because they're modified they take longer produce and at times also use precious metals which drive up the price. As for the German watches you could always buy them on eBay a lot of people sell them with original manufacturer warranties, boxes, papers, etc. Another brand which is really good and is simple is Stowa, which are basically made to order. I think they take in orders every 3 months but I could be wrong.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I would probably feel better than someone with a Rolex honestly because Rolex are basically just that, just another Rolex it's always the same. Honestly most watched use the basic Vouljoux ETA 7750 25 jewel movement, most watches with this will vary in price range from $500 to $10,000+ it just depends on what you want. Rolex is just another brand name is what I'm saying, they're still highly manufactured but because they're modified they take longer produce and at times also use precious metals which drive up the price.

Valjoux 7750 is actually a chrono movement, the most common chrono movement but the most basic is the ETA 2824, now monopolized by the Swatch Group.

Rolex doesn't use these basic ETA movement, they actually still has an in-house movement. However, since they produce so much a year, most people doesn't consider it as an in-house movement anymore but Rolexes movement is still their own and not related to the ETA movement the Swatch Group owns. Rolexes price is mainly due to the name and the fact that they restrict discounts as much as possible, even closing up authorized dealers if caught giving discounts, thus driving the re-sale price up and making it more desirable. Rolex has gotten a bad name from douchebags who consider it as a mark of success but overall, a Rolex is still a great and robust classically designed watch. They haven't gone too far away from their designs and that is why a 10 year old submariner doesn't look outdated and still garner a high price on the used market.

5. Abliss

Abliss Senior member

I would go with a Seiko, and if possible get a used Omega. Omega is in my opinion one of the best brands - have a few myself.

At Ebay, Seiko is possible to get at the price of a Tissot, but i am not saying that Tissot is a bad brand, it is (in my opinion) just one of those blah brands that noone really knows or cares about.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I would go with a Seiko, and if possible get a used Omega. Omega is in my opinion one of the best brands - have a few myself.

At Ebay, Seiko is possible to get at the price of a Tissot, but i am not saying that Tissot is a bad brand, it is (in my opinion) just one of those blah brands that noone really knows or cares about.

The thing is, Seiko in the U.S. is viewed differently compared to the rest of the world. Their cheap watches that can be bought in most department stores really killed its image. I mean Seiko is still decent but most of the ones sold everywhere looks cheap. Just go to Macys.com and check out their selection, it is nothing compared to the well made watches w/ great movements sold in Japan.

7. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

i'm too busy looking at how sick my Bell & Ross is to notice what other people are wearing.

but B&R is more than you are looking to spend. buy a movado. everyone at the mall will recognize it and they go great with black cell phone belt clips.

8. Abliss

Abliss Senior member

The thing is, Seiko in the U.S. is viewed differently compared to the rest of the world. Their cheap watches that can be bought in most department stores really killed its image. I mean Seiko is still decent but most of the ones sold everywhere looks cheap. Just go to Macys.com and check out their selection, it is nothing compared to the well made watches w/ great movements sold in Japan.

Oh, did not know that.

Its a funny thing how perception works. Most people i know that really got money and buy watches steers miles away from ex. Rolex, its just too flashy and not very subtle. While others who buy Rolex as the first because to them its the ultimate status symbol.

I would like to change my above comment, and just say: If you like Tissot then buy it, do not care what other people think.

9. Abliss

Abliss Senior member

i'm too busy looking at how sick my Bell & Ross is to notice what other people are wearing.

but B&R is more than you are looking to spend. buy a movado. everyone at the mall will recognize it and they go great with black cell phone belt clips.

Arent Bell & Ross those BIG military things? Just like Panerai?

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Bell & Ross are known for their military inspired square watches, most based on airplane instruments. But they also have a good range of their vintage watches. They recently released these nice vintage officer watch collection that is more toned down and not so big.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Only insecure men think that wearing a Rolex makes them a baller. And only insecure men think that wearing a cheap digital or a SEIKO passed down from their grandfather makes them look bad. I know of several billionaires who wear casio g-shocks, and at the other end there are accountants who wear Rolexes just to try and pick up gold diggers.

12. Regal

Regal Well-Known Member

Agreed. Heck, I'd love a Fortis watch, but I've never seen one in person, and they are way out of my price range. Let me explain in one more way about what I mean by a watch being respectable. I think this is the best description yet: You go to a doctor's visit and your doctor is wearing a Rolex. Do you feel embarrassed by having a Tissot or like no big deal, they're both great watches even though his costs a ton more? You're in a business meeting and a rich executive is wearing a Breitling, do you feel embarrassed or that even though his watch is so much more expensive, that yours is still worth of respect, despite the price difference. I would absolutely NOT feel embarrassed wearing an Oris watch in either one of those situations--just different and a matter of preference VERSUS buying it because I can't afford a super expensive watch. I'm just still trying to get a better idea of the Tissot brand though. I'm sure this makes pretty good sense. If I was wearing a Seiko, I would feel utterly embarrassed amongst those other watches.
    You sound like Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. NOBODY gets "embarrassed" by someone else's watch. Especially at the damn doctor's office. Also, you might wanna learn a bit more before writing the things you're writing about Seiko. They make dozens of watches that are miles better than your $300 quartz movement watch.

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

[​IMG]

14. Marton

Marton Active Member

lol. I prefer wearing my Seiko to my Rolex. Heck I'd probably even trade it for a Grand Seiko if I can! [​IMG]

15. zinman74

zinman74 Well-Known Member

Tissot makes some decent stuff at a reasonable price, especially when you find it on sale. That being said, they're nothing special and part of the Swatch empire, which for some reason, makes me like them less. I guess it's kind of like a lot of the people here looking for things that are well made in smaller quantities and sometimes hard to get. It's not that I give a crap if someone recognizes that my Stowa Flieger Original watch is #16 of a few hundred made, but I appreciate the handcrafting, the story behind the brand, the attention to detail and the fact that not everyone has one. I appreciate that the owner of the brand is doing well, so well that when my friend visited the factory with cash in hand, he was unable to buy anything because they were backlogged on everything. Success for the smaller fish! I also like the way it looks.

As far as what you should buy? That's your decision. If you like it, the way it sits on your wrist and such, buy it. If you don't, move on. My collection ranges from a $55 Citizen quartz diver to a classic Omega Chronograph and a Rolex GMT Master. I have collected watches, with a lean towards dive, pilot and military style watches, for quite some time. I have done lots of buying, selling and trading and for the first time in a long time, I am at a point where I no longer have anything that I want to get rid of. My only recommendation is that you buy quality, in whatever price range you are looking in.

16. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

I'm not huge on Tissot, but this recent vintage-inspired piece definitely caught my eye.

[​IMG]

Kind of debating between the above or a Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim model for an everyday kinda watch.

17. 300zx1985

300zx1985 Senior member

I picked up my Oris TT1 on craigslist for $400 new.
    Couldnt be happier.

18. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

19. Listi

Listi Senior member

Using this as a reason not to buy a watch would be silly though. LVC are great jeans, but just because the same company makes shitty dad jeans they sell at kohls for 1/10th of the price doesn't mean the LVC should lose any status. If it looks good, how many people scrutinize your watch manufacturer so closely? If someone asks about your watch just say "It's an automatic Seiko from their Japanese collection" and then the person would know you're wearing something different from the ordinary seiko.

20. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Longines have 14kt gold markers, just saying