• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

Quatsch

Reaction score
Some stoking for the flames:

Three nights ago I had a table I actually had to pay to serve. The guy's check wasn't that all that much, - around $40 - but it is still galling. How does that work, you ask? The bar/sushi tip-out for his meal was more than the tip he left. He and his friend got good service from me and we had some friendly chatter. Playing right into a certain restaurant-industry stereotype as well.

I took it in stride because after two more weeks, I hope to never work as a server again. Please, oh God.

Last edited:

Zabel

Reaction score
I don't pay double the amount of what sbucks charges me to help out some poor argie or ethiopia kids working16 hours on the coffee field. I don't pay 20% extra for Apple products to stop Foxconn employee from committing sucides. I do pay tips when the waiter deserves it, but don't expect me to pay for a ******* broken system. My wallet shouldn't be the one suffering for a broken system.
Show me someone whose doing jail-time for adultery

East Asia still sentence you a jail term for that. Some Muslim stone you for that. The only places who do NOT sue are those who gives you other option of sueing the hell out for some shitload of money.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't pay double the amount of what sbucks charges me to help out some poor argie or ethiopia kids working16 hours on the coffee field. I don't pay 20% extra for Apple products to stop Foxconn employee from committing sucides. I do pay tips when the waiter deserves it, but don't expect me to pay for a ******* broken system. My wallet shouldn't be the one suffering for a broken system.

Goddamnit! How can you people still be so clueless about the economics of tipping after this entire thread. JFC.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

He and his friend got good service from me and we had some friendly chatter. Playing right into a certain restaurant-industry stereotype as well.

The verbal tip. You gotta love it. These people are clueless.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally this is how I have come to view tipping:

The restaurant simply retains waiters for the $2ish per hour so they are available to serve the tables and I am expected to compensate the waiter for the service provided. Their payment will be based on how good the service was. Simple as that.

If you don't want to pay for the service received do not eat at places where you are expected to pay for service

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Three nights ago I had a table I actually had to pay to serve. The guy's check wasn't that all that much, - around $40 - but it is still galling. How does that work, you ask? The bar/sushi tip-out for his meal was more than the tip he left. He and his friend got good service from me and we had some friendly chatter. Playing right into a certain restaurant-industry stereotype as well.

I took it in stride because after two more weeks, I hope to never work as a server again. Please, oh God.

Is this some abstract art post? Where is the explanation of how you had to pay?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The verbal tip. You gotta love it. These people are clueless.

In an opposite way this reminds me of the scene in Pret A Porter where Marcello Mastriani doenst have any money to tip the bell boy and gives him that rolling wave with his hand as if to say thank you. That movie is beyond underrated.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He had to tip out to the sushi chef based on the cost of the bill, not the tip he received from the guy. The tip he got was crap and needed to pay the cheft out of his own pocket.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

He had to tip out to the sushi chef based on the cost of the bill, not the tip he received from the guy. The tip he got was crap and needed to pay the cheft out of his own pocket.

Aha. How you figured that out is astonishing to me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How much did he tip on $40?

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score

East Asia still sentence you a jail term for that. Some Muslim stone you for that. The only places who do NOT sue are those who gives you other option of sueing the hell out for some shitload of money.

I could have sworn I was talking about America....which you knew. But since you can't show me any American cases of that sort, you resort to purposely going off the subject. You lost, pal. Take your loss and go home.

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score

GG: a real question here. There is nothing codified that you must support your parents, financially or when they are ill and old, other than gross neglect if you are a caretaker. So do you think you have to support them? I would ask if you think you have to take care of your children's education but there is no way you are loved or married so you have no kids.

That's how I know you're a loser. The fact that you'll try to assume the worse about my personal life just because you can't hold your own in a debate against me. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that you'd compare tipping in a restaurant to supporting my family. You're a sad individual and a sore loser, pal.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's how I know you're a loser. The fact that you'll try to assume the worse worst about my personal life just because you can't hold your own in a debate against me. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that you'd compare tipping in a restaurant to supporting my family. You're a sad individual and a sore loser, pal.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
To the anti-tippers:

Do you eat out much and if so do you simply never tip? Have you experienced no social repurcussions about this? No blowback from fellow diner? No comments from staff? In other words, do you eat out, pay exactly what is on the check, walk out, do this routinely, and nothing negative has ever happened as a result?

Just curious.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members