• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People that still read books for fun/insight?

zillka

Reaction score
do you ever feel that they have waaay too much time on their hands and probably should focus on more important things, like their careers, significant others, side bitches, or raging with friends?

i used to be that ideal douche who would jerk off to malcolm gladwell's psychobabble pop psychology, seth godin's blog, some indian guru who jizzed his thoughts at google's conference so he must be right if they hired him, or a clockwork orange to discuss its current significance to your emo friends at starbucks who have too much time to read books bc they chose to mooch off their trust funds in the interim to delay having to focus on work or a mortgage... but then i realized writers were always salesmen first, 'authors' second. all of them.

i probably haven't read a book since college, unless its work related, as the little free time that i get i spend with the concubine, or post on fashion sites trying not to sound too **** while maybe still being curious.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly doing anything not motivated by ********** or your bank account is for homos.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zillka
do you ever feel that they have waaay too much time on their hands and probably should focus on more important things, like their careers, significant others, side bitches, or raging with friends? i used to be that ideal douche who would jerk off to malcolm gladwell's psychobabble pop psychology, seth godin's blog, some indian guru who jizzed his thoughts at google's conference so he must be right if they hired him, or a clockwork orange to discuss its current significance to your emo friends at starbucks who have too much time to read books bc they chose to mooch off their trust funds in the interim to delay having to focus on work or a mortgage... but then i realized writers were always salesmen first, 'authors' second. all of them. i probably haven't read a book since college, unless its work related, as the little free time that i get i spend with the concubine, or post on fashion sites trying not to sound too **** while maybe still being curious.
Reading Malcolm Gladwell's books is not something somebody should do unless he wants to become dumber and less insightful.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Reading Malcolm Gladwell's books is not something somebody should do unless he wants to become dumber and less insightful.
+1

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zillka
do you ever feel that they have waaay too much time on their hands and probably should focus on more important things, like their careers, significant others, side bitches, or raging with friends?

i used to be that ideal douche who would jerk off to malcolm gladwell's psychobabble pop psychology, seth godin's blog, some indian guru who jizzed his thoughts at google's conference so he must be right if they hired him, or a clockwork orange to discuss its current significance to your emo friends at starbucks who have too much time to read books bc they chose to mooch off their trust funds in the interim to delay having to focus on work or a mortgage... but then i realized writers were always salesmen first, 'authors' second. all of them.

i probably haven't read a book since college, unless its work related, as the little free time that i get i spend with the concubine, or post on fashion sites trying not to sound too **** while maybe still being curious.

'nuff said.

zillka

Reaction score
sardonicism.. incognizable in rural, uncouth northern italia

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by InsBrokerTX
I haven't read Gladwell's books. Why do you say that?

He simply uses well documented sociological phenomena to write popular books filled with lame buzzwords. There is nothing original or insightful about his writing except perhaps its intended audience.

That said, I don't have that much time to read beyond work, bedtime stories and SF but I always have a few books (usually popular science, econ or middle east politics) on the go and read a few pages before falling asleep. Right now my bedside table has the latest Dawkins book (he's a great writer no matter what you think of his ideas or science), Startup Nation (just got it and haven't really started it, and a novel my uncle wrote that I haven't finished.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
He simply uses well documented sociological phenomena to write popular books filled with lame buzzwords. There is nothing original or insightful about his writing except perhaps its intended audience.

Where do you rank Gladwell in comparison to the Freakonomics guys?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Where do you rank Gladwell in comparison to the Freakonomics guys?

No comparison. Although there is surely some overlap in their audiences, Levitt is an accomplished economist who publishes original work (his coauthor is a journalist who handles the writing).

Gladwell is very good at marketing his buzzwords as new concepts but none of his ideas like the tipping point, outliers... are new or original. They are just repackaged.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree 100%, bro. Nothing more to life than making big bucks and getting ahead. Ambition is everything. Fiction is for little "faggots" living in some la-di-da fantasy world, too afraid to face reality. Sorry - gotta cut this post short b/c I need to continue browsing the Personal Finance stacks at my local Barnes & Noble. But great thread, seriously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads