• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peccary leather gloves, where to buy cheaply

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the title is an oxymoron, but I thought I'd at least ask.

For unknown reasons I've been obsessed with buying the best gloves for the upcoming winter, and have come upon peccary leather gloves as the answer. I know it's the skin of the South American/Peruvian wild pig, which apparently is quite endangered? Anyway, I searched here and there were past posts from about 3 years back about an Ebay seller, who no longer exist, who was able to supply them for $50. Then there was an apparent group buy attempt here at SF that fizzled.

My Google searches comes up the following interesting sellers:

http://herrington-catalog.stores.yahoo.net/ls765.html
-unfortunately currently out of stock on dark brown ones

http://store.saintlouismotorsports.c...hergloves.aspx
-made by Dents of England, highly touted, but I don't like the motorsport strap

Of course there's always Paul Stuart, which is sized, another plus
http://www.paulstuart.com/product_in...SUBPRODCATID=0

Questions:
-if it's all from the same wild pig, why are the leathers looking so different on the three websites?
-another other cheaper alternatives?

It's looking like Paul Stuart is going to be it.

witness

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Peccary gloves yesterday at Barney's New York for $190.00 but I found something I like better. I wore them for exactly 1/2 hour and Barney's won't take them back. Any offers?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
color, size, and certainly pictures would be extremely helpful.

Are they handsewn?
What kind of lining?
Exact sized or Small/Medium/Large?

gefinzi

Reaction score
I bought peccary gloves from the fellow in Peru...no major complaints, but they do have a somewhat "waxy" feel to the leather. The peccary gloves I have from Ben Silver are better (but more expensive).

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lee_44106;746629 said:
For unknown reasons I've been obsessed with buying the best gloves for the upcoming winter, and have come upon peccary leather gloves as the answer. I know it's the skin of the South American/Peruvian wild pig, which apparently is quite endangered? QUOTE]

Peccaries are neither pigs nor are they endangered. The collared peccary (more commonly called javelina) is a common animal in the American Southwest, and it is even more abundant in Mexico. The annual legal harvest taken by hunters in Texas alone is 20,000, and many others are unlawfully shot be ranchers who regard them as vermin. In Arizona, they often wander into the suburbs of cities like Tucson. At one time they ranged as far north as Nevada, but they were largely exterminated over much of their range for their leather in the 1930s. They seem to be pushing north again, possibly because of global climate change.

The larger, more aggressive white-lipped peccary is found over most of the Neotropical Americas, ranging from southern Mexico to southern Brazil, often travelling in large herds that may number as many as 2,000.

Two other species of peccary were only recently discovered--the Chaco peccary, hitherto known only from fossils in 1975, and the giant peccary in Brazil in 2004. They are of no commercial significance.

Although they look like pigs, they are only distantly related to the true pigs (hippopotami are also in the same family). There are significant physical differences between peccaries and pigs. In comparison, dogs and bears are much more closely related.

Perhaps some vendors are hyping the rarity of peccaries to jack up the prices...just a thought.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so they don't belong in the pig family? they sure look like pigs. so the reason the leather is desirable is because it's extra soft, is that correct?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do know that they (peccary leather) were all the fashionable rage in the 20's/30's, then fell out of style. It has intermittently come back into fashion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads