• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaks, Patterns, and Wedding Ties

Peaked or Notched Lapels?

• Peaked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Notched

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LollardKnight

Reaction score
The Situation:
I live in Tulsa, where the expectations for professional wear are extremely low. I am currently attending a private university and will be going into a creative field (Advertising/Music Business). This July, I am marrying the love of my life. It will be a summer, daytime wedding (~14:00). None of my (six) groomsmen have any suits that are not from Men's Wearhouse. I only have one suit (for interviews etc.), and it is clearly not up to the task (Dark Grey-Charcoal JAB Joseph). So obviously we all need new suits for the wedding. My groomsmen are willing to spend some money, and I am willing to spend more to do it right, within reason.

The Solution:
Since it will be a daytime wedding in the summer, I wanted to go with light/medium grey suits. Conventional wisdom of asking the groomsmen to bring their own suits or comparing the suits they own is totally out of the picture. For my groomsmen, I'm currently planning to go the JAB route. I managed to snag a deal on Joseph suits locked in for $200 each. Obviously the construction is fused and the armholes are terrible, but other than that, these suits are classically styled (length, button stance, lapel width, etc.), can be altered to fit reasonably, and are easily within my groomsmen's price range. I will be going with them myself to be sure their sizing and alterations are done correctly. I'm planning to go Kent Wang (time's running out so I've gotta get on that). Shirts will be white, shoes will be plain or cap toe (again, Kent Wang Benchgrade Plain Toe for me; simply the best value on the market hands-down, as with everything else he makes)

Remaining Questions

1. Wedding Ties I really, really want to go with traditional wedding ties, particularly shepherd's check. But the cheapest I've been able to find are Kent Wang's at $85. There's no way in the world I can buy seven of those; not by a long shot. If I could get one for under $40 I'd think about it, but in the meantime, is there something passable I could get for more like 20? I like grenadines; maybe there's something there.

2. Fabric Since I'm getting my suit made by Kent Wang, I suddenly have a lot of options besides just "Grey". My groomsmen will all be in solids, but I'd prefer a subtle pattern, specifically looking at Pick-and-Pick, Nailhead, and Birdseye. Are these too informal for a wedding or too eye-catching for an early suit (I'm thinking I heard that sharkskin is more casual...)? What are the pros/cons of each in the context of a wedding?

3. Cut I've dreamed of being married in a single-button, peaked-lapeled (ventless?) suit forever (well, ever since I gave up on morning dress anyway...). Styling something like this one from Savile Row:

Once again, realizing this is only my second suit, would this be ridiculous? Noting of course that 1). Less than 1% of people in Oklahoma could distinguish between Prom Central and Bespoke, 2). I'm going into a creative field where conservatism might matter less anyway, and 3). I am planning on getting solid navy and brown suits as soon as practically feasible.

I think I could possibly be satisfied with wide notches, but PEAKS though...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Situation:
I live in Tulsa, where the expectations for professional wear are extremely low. I am currently attending a private university and will be going into a creative field (Advertising/Music Business). This July, I am marrying the love of my life. It will be a summer, daytime wedding (~14:00). None of my (six) groomsmen have any suits that are not from Men's Wearhouse. I only have one suit (for interviews etc.), and it is clearly not up to the task (Dark Grey-Charcoal JAB Joseph). So obviously we all need new suits for the wedding. My groomsmen are willing to spend some money, and I am willing to spend more to do it right, within reason.

The Solution:
Since it will be a daytime wedding in the summer, I wanted to go with light/medium grey suits. Conventional wisdom of asking the groomsmen to bring their own suits or comparing the suits they own is totally out of the picture. For my groomsmen, I'm currently planning to go the JAB route. I managed to snag a deal on Joseph suits locked in for $200 each. Obviously the construction is fused and the armholes are terrible, but other than that, these suits are classically styled (length, button stance, lapel width, etc.), can be altered to fit reasonably, and are easily within my groomsmen's price range. I will be going with them myself to be sure their sizing and alterations are done correctly. I'm planning to go Kent Wang (time's running out so I've gotta get on that). Shirts will be white, shoes will be plain or cap toe (again, Kent Wang Benchgrade Plain Toe for me; simply the best value on the market hands-down, as with everything else he makes)

Remaining Questions

1. Wedding Ties I really, really want to go with traditional wedding ties, particularly shepherd's check. But the cheapest I've been able to find are Kent Wang's at $85. There's no way in the world I can buy seven of those; not by a long shot. If I could get one for under $40 I'd think about it, but in the meantime, is there something passable I could get for more like 20? I like grenadines; maybe there's something there.

2. Fabric Since I'm getting my suit made by Kent Wang, I suddenly have a lot of options besides just "Grey". My groomsmen will all be in solids, but I'd prefer a subtle pattern, specifically looking at Pick-and-Pick, Nailhead, and Birdseye. Are these too informal for a wedding or too eye-catching for an early suit (I'm thinking I heard that sharkskin is more casual...)? What are the pros/cons of each in the context of a wedding?

3. Cut I've dreamed of being married in a single-button, peaked-lapeled (ventless?) suit forever (well, ever since I gave up on morning dress anyway...). Styling something like this one from Savile Row:

Once again, realizing this is only my second suit, would this be ridiculous? Noting of course that 1). Less than 1% of people in Oklahoma could distinguish between Prom Central and Bespoke, 2). I'm going into a creative field where conservatism might matter less anyway, and 3). I am planning on getting solid navy and brown suits as soon as practically feasible.

I think I could possibly be satisfied with wide notches, but PEAKS though...
1. I don't know if you can afford it, but Chipp (http://www.chippneckwear.com/italian-grenadine/) makes some very affordable grenadines for $55. I don't know if he would do a small discount for a large order that might help you out a bit.

2. Nailhead nd birds eye read more "busness". I've always liked a micro herringbone, and I think that he has one, but it should be tonal or at very most, low contrast. I don't know if he has anything like that on the books (I know a great black on black for tuxedos in the Lesser books, though).

3. Peak, one button, like the Huntsman jacket, is great. I love the slim Huntsman silhouette:
https://www.huntsmansavilerow.com/bespoke/your-choice-cut-and-cloth/house-style

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads