• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaked Lapel for an Interview Suit?

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
lol8[1].gif

Start with craigslist

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth: Most people will not notice your lapels, per se, but some might notice that you look different or somehow more trendy without realizing why. IF your interviewer can be negatively swayed by that, then that could be bad.

Why take the risk?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That lapels will trigger some subconscious judgment is suspect in itself. Unless the lapels somehow contrast the rest of the jacket or completely outrageous, they are pretty much unnoticed as they are the same material as the rest of the jacket - especially when the jacket is in a dark conservative colour of navy or charcoal.

What is immediately noticeable, is the silhouette - the overall fit - and time is better off spent on that than worrying about the peak lapels. And even then the main focus is just to not look sloppy and show that you're not at the interview for the free coffee (though apparently even that can be a gargantuan task to a surprisingly many).

There is a difference between possible and probable. Just about anything is possible, but there is a point in probability where the risk becomes negligible. Interviewer not hiring a person because of peak lapels is one of those things. Besides, depending on the industry, company, and role it may not be a bad thing to appear a little fashion forward.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
At an interview, show your imagination only in the tie you wear. If you are off, it can be allowed in the mind of the interviewer. Suit and shirt faux pas are harder to understand and let slide in the eyes of a person charged with vetting you to become a permanent fixture.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Truth: Most people will not notice your lapels, per se, but some might notice that you look different or somehow more trendy without realizing why. IF your interviewer can be negatively swayed by that, then that could be bad.

Why take the risk?

I'm not usually one to tell people not to dress how they want but I have to agree on this. If you need a job, which is presumably why you're at an interview, why potentially queer the deal with your clothes? Dress conservatively for the interview and if you get the job then gradually push the envelope.

That said, I occasionally do hiring where I work and I wouldn't be negatively swayed by someone dressed in a reasonable SF approved way -- but I am not most management types. I may be the only federal employee in Canada to wear a pocket square regularly
biggrin.gif

GBer

Reaction score
When you say:

Originally Posted by lilmann40
most likely in mortgages and not i-banking.

Are you talking about as a loan officer at your local bank? Investing in CMBS? Underwriting? Selling CMBS? Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac? MortgageIT/ Deutsche Bank? Countrywide/ BofA? What is level you are looking for? Entry-level or senior? Each is different in culture and style.

Depends on if it's a client-facing job and who your client is (Joe Public or a financial institution). Key with the interviews are to keep it simple and dress to their expectations. Some interviewers expect a certain stereotype for the position they are hiring. If you don't fit it... well they ask questions... Best not to draw unwanted attention to something not core to the job (i.e. your dress).

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
This. No one will notice. Hell, last interview series I had I wore all DB's- got the job.

You are so cool!
worship.gif
bigstar[1].gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you carry yourself. If you want to play safe then I guess be as conservative as you can but as others have said, if you dress smartly, no one will probably notice. I went for an interview last month for an overdue promotion, and wore a FU POW DB suit, contrast collar and a knit tie. For my last set of professional exams several years back, I wore my cheapest grey suit bought from my pre-SF days.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
This place has these types of threads over and over and over and over again
There probably will be no negative impact due to your clothing unless it's just outrageous but like some have said, why not just dress as low key as possible, look nice and go completely conservative. There is NO WAY that this type of dress can hurt you and it could (though probably won't) help. So just go white shirt navy or gray suit, black captoes and conservative tie. No jewelry, I personally would avoid cuff links and pocket squares too.

rossyl

Reaction score
Just make sure you feel happy and comfortable, you shouldn't be thinking about fashion in a job interview and they wont give you a job just because you dressed well (unless it's a job in fashion!)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Why take the risk?

exactly right.

you want to look like a neater version of everybody else. you don't want them to remember you as the guy in the "fancy looking suit" or what ever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads