Peaked Lapel for an Interview Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lilmann40, May 4, 2011.

1. lilmann40

lilmann40 Senior member

I searched the forums and read mixed reviews on whether a peaked lapel is considered ok for an interview. That was from 2008, so I'm wondering how things have transpired in the past few years and what the current thought on the matter is...

I have a suit with a subtle peak, which I really like the fit and color/design of, and I want to hear it from SF, whether it's a no-no.

No specific job at this point, but it will be in NYC. Something in the banking industry, most likely in mortgages and not i-banking.

2. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

What job? Which city?

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

no, keep it simple, dark single breasted suit, white shirt, subtly patterned tie, black shoes.

good luck

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

In the real world, as opposed to SF sartorial lala-land, no one pays any attention to your lapels. As long as your suit is sensible enough it will be fine. If some guy in a black suit 2 sizes too big can land a position (very common), peak lapels on a well fitting suit is more than appropriate.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

6. gort

gort Senior member

In the real world, as opposed to SF sartorial lala-land, no one pays any attention to your lapels. As long as your suit is sensible enough it will be fine. If some guy in a black suit 2 sizes too big can land a position (very common), peak lapels on a well fitting suit is more than appropriate.

Pretty much this. Most people don't even know what a peak lapel is.

7. Mr. Sartorial

Mr. Sartorial Senior member

I'd say it falls well within the guidelines for appropriate interview dress. The only way it would draw attention is if they are Tom Ford sized monster lapels that touch your shoulders.

8. Mr. Sartorial

Love this.

9. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

been there done that. suit jacket 2 sizes too big, pants way too tight and too long, wayyyy oversized shirt and a terribly tied knot and cheapest shoes money can buy. Success! I have since changed my ways, though.

10. gort

gort Senior member

been there done that. suit jacket 2 sizes too big, pants way too tight and too long, wayyyy oversized shirt and a terribly tied knot and cheapest shoes money can buy. Success! I have since changed my ways, though.

See tons of people like this around DC. All the govies. [​IMG]

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

See tons of people like this around DC. All the govies. [​IMG]

In my day that was called the GS !2 look.

12. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

13. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Pretty much this. Most people don't even know what a peak lapel is.
    This. No one will notice. Hell, last interview series I had I wore all DB's- got the job.

14. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

This. No one will notice. Hell, last interview series I had I wore all DB's- got the job.

+3... I think a pocket square would raise more eyebrow then a DB suit.

15. Mr. Sartorial

This thread makes me want to start going to a whole bunch of sham job interviews wearing different outfits to see what I get comments on.