• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peak Lapels & Staple Suits

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
First off, pardon me if I retread territory from old posts; I did a few searches on the topics at hand and didn't come up with anything that was particularly recent. A half-dozen or so posts start about the same way that this one will, though:

I'm a slim young guy fresh out of college and looking to drop change off on my first suit. Around Christmastime 2009 I picked up a suit on Superfuture that I've hardly worn--

4919374809_cec6d4ffd4_z.jpg
(jacket only, obv.)

--from Shipley & Halmos. (36R/30) The wool as nice but the peak lapels give me pause. Maybe they're already starting to feel a little dated? Maybe I regret having a peak lapel suit as my workhorse suit, though I hardly get to wear it, since most of my work days call for boots and denim.

Anyways, I've been considering trying to turn it around on B&S and pick up something a little bit more staple. I figure I could probably recover $300 selling it if I'm lucky; I can probably afford to match 100$ - 200$ on top of that. So-- what can 450$ or so generate as far as a sound staple suit? Searching the archives I've read mixed reviews of J. Crew's suits, as much as I admire their casual lookbooks these days under Muytjens.

laphroaig

Reaction score
I suspect it's the combination of things that makes the jacket fashion forward. The jacket looks very short, just looking at the sleeves as comparison. The lapels are also slim and in combination with the peaks, it will stand out. Looks like a nice jacket but in no way is it conservative.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebarsmydestination
the peak lapels give me pause. Maybe they're already starting to feel a little dated?

No idea what gives you that idea. Peak lapels are maybe starting to reach saturation point, I guess soon there will be a backlash and everyone will move back to notch, but they're still pretty fashionable at the moment, and neither peak or notch will ever look 'dated'.

VictorJB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
No idea what gives you that idea. Peak lapels are maybe starting to reach saturation point, I guess soon there will be a backlash and everyone will move back to notch, but they're still pretty fashionable at the moment, and neither peak or notch will ever look 'dated'.

I agree. I am like you maybe with 2 years on you (in regards to finishing college and starting a career job). The suit looks nice and since you are slim you will compliment the suit a lot. But if you are looking to get suits at a cheap price and not look like you bought a cheap suit. Check out a store called daffys if you live in the metro area. They carry a line called Messori (not too popular in the states), they make beautiful suits that are around $2000.00 but are sold at 350-500 dollars. They have some really nice suits that will make a huge fuss around the office and they have ones that you can wear 4 times a week and as long as you pair it right, it will look like a new suit everyday. Also check out my blog its suited for people like us, just starting out and need good tips and advice on how to buy and where to buy. hope this helps.

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful responses!

I suppose it's sort of-- if I can only really afford one suit in my closet (that is to say, I would sell one to finance one other, and sort of work my way up this way) -- I don't wear a suit often, since, like I said -- I do hard work and keep myself kempt but it's a tweed-and-denim affair. Maybe I'm nervy about wearing something a little dandyish to interviews, but I don't want to have my "interview" suit. I find that even young men in nice, well-fitted suits clearly look like they are their "interview suit" when they're super, ultra-conservative. I'm young; I want to wear a young man's wardrobe while I can get away with it.

Basically this is a long-winded way of asking: do you suppose this is a bridge too far for an "all purpose" suit? In which case I might pursue something super-slim and super-modern in navy. I might do some more research on the Ludlow. Everybody's got a different opinion of J. Crew suiting, by the sounds of it, from "acceptable" to "bleghag"

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
If you don't wear a suit for work, when do you wear one? I'd say this is a perfectly good suit if it's for going out or going to a wedding.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daffy's is great and Messori is some of the better made stuff there at the moment, but some of the line has fashiony details that would detract from an interview suit.

Other options in NY right now are the Barneys Warehouse Sale, where basic Burberry London or Kors or Barneys house label suits are about 550 but will cost less around Labor Day.

These would be better made but a little more conservative than J Crew. J Crew is not a bad option tho.

For the basic/staple suit, notch lapels, not peak.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I wouldn't call the ludlow anymore conservative or that different at all from the jacket you have posted. Seems like a lateral move to me. Agree with the statement that neither notch nor peak lapels will ever look dated. Also, your last post makes almost no sense. If your question is whether you can use the pictured suit as a "staple suit" I say why not as long as it fits well.

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
I lose the ability to convey ideas with clarity after about 11 PM EST. After that I just sort of open my mouth or type and it's a miracle that the gibberish even coheres into English. Basically, I have an interview (or a series of interviews, anyways) coming up and I felt a little awkward; like maybe it would be a little too dandyish? If the sharpened minds here think it's not too much, that's good enough for me. Rule #1 is to wear what you like and what makes you feel like you look good; rule #2 is to check in with someone, anyone else, just to make sure you haven't gone off your effing gourd. (Also, thanks again. This has been really helpful.)

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well-shaped peak lapels are classic. Those skinny, stubby little buggers are not.

Peak lapels are always at home on three-piece or double-breasted suits. On a two-piece, it's less certain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads