• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peacoats and raw denim

torontobluered

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few questions about raw denim and peacoats.

1. Do raw denim jeans not have to be washed? Do they not get a bit stretched out with a week or two of wear like regular jeans do?

2. Do raw denim jeans not shrink after washes like most regular jeans do?

3. difference between sanford and shrink to fit?

3. Peacoats are stylish, but are they really as warm as heavy winter coats? Is it possible to get a nice-looking, warm, wool peacoat for around $100?

4. Do raw denim jeans look good with peacoats? any cheap brands for good raw denim jeans for under 30-40 dollars?

thanks for your help :)

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time use the search function and post in the appropriate thread, all of these questions have been asked and answered in great detail here. But, because I'm so nice :laugh::

1-3) If they're sanforized they won't shrink, if they're shrink to fit they will and you'll need to soak them before wearing the first time. Less washing means higher contrast fading, that being said if they're really dirty or smell like crap don't be afraid to wash them. Some guys here wear them 6 months plus before the first wash. Yes, they stretch out with wear, shrink back after a wash and then stretch back out again.

4) If it's thick wool, it'll be warm. You can try Sterlingwear, military surplus, etc. Search "mega peacoat thread". It's probably on the first page.

5) Why wouldn't it look good? $30-$40 is Levi's 501 Shrink To Fit range and they're ok for starters. Do a search, many other options and fits if you spend more.

Last edited:

torontobluered

Reaction score
Thanks for being nice and replying lol :)

My jeans don't really get dirty or stained, so I only really have to wash them when they get stretched out.

Any jeans that don't really stretch out when you wear them? I'm guessing the Levi's aren't like that, right?

CosmicOsmo

Reaction score

Thanks for being nice and replying lol :)

My jeans don't really get dirty or stained, so I only really have to wash them when they get stretched out.

Any jeans that don't really stretch out when you wear them? I'm guessing the Levi's aren't like that, right?
The trick with raw denim is to buy them a size or so smaller than you normally would, then let them stretch to fit your body. For the future, there is a small questions thread (ask a question get an answer, i think?) where these kinds of questions should go. SF must be getting soft, because a few years ago starting a thread like this would have got you torn asunder by a pack of ravenous-yet-fashionable wolves. It would probably be wise for you to lurk for a while, read through the small questions thread, and check the WAYWT thread for a few months before starting too many more threads, lest one of those aforementioned wolves find you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads