• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Parents obsessed with their children...

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Please tell me you are sterile.

Yes, sir-ee...that I am!
inlove.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is this the thread where I ask if I should be concerned that my 8 month old son is so freaking awesome?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
It seems to be getting worse. It's like it went from obsession over safety since the 1990's to a godawful mixture with the Gen Y "I'm a brand" mentality that automatically makes the baby a part of the parents' "fame" and as such is plastered all over their Facebook pages. So, WTF?

Yes, clearly the better alternative would be for the parents to have no involvement with their kids at all. Then the kids can be raised by social services and the police department instead.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
A possible better alternative would be to back off a bit and let the kids learn to do some things for themselves. Parent and child would probably both be healthier.

You can raise children without smothering. Somehow this changed about 30 years ago (possibly because people have fewer children than they used to??)

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Yes, clearly the better alternative would be for the parents to have no involvement with their kids at all. Then the kids can be raised by social services and the police department instead.

There is difference between taking part in your child's life and getting obsessed with it.

To my mind obsession starts from the point where parents stop recognizing themselfs as separate creatures... like when mothers start answering the question "dear, what have you done today?" - "we have eaten, then we went out to play in a park..." and so on. Who exactly played in a park? I get confused
eh.gif
And I don't see any sense in FB pages for babies that can't even talk. That sounds weird to me. Though I'm a girl and I love babies in general.

Kids aren't just cute toys... they are creatures that need healthy parents with wide view on the world... not histerical creatures that can't spend a minute without their baby and have no more interests in life at all.

P.S. If several years later I'm still here and start posting stupid stuff about how cute my baby is... please, just kill me
facepalm.gif
laugh.gif

P.P.S. Just read in another thread:

Originally Posted by lou
Picked my Youngest Daughter up from school for a Dr's appt. then took her to lunch at our favorite pizza place.

Damn... it's so ******* cool that one day you can have a favourite pizza place with your own daughter!
inlove.gif
bounce2.gif

Don't know... I think it's difficult to understand parents when you're not a parent yourself. And we also might be just jealous about other's people obsessions
smile.gif
))

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get off facebook. Problem solved. It's evil and unhealthy anyway.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can understand why mothers obsess about their children. What I can't understand is why they think anyone else cares about every insignificant occurrence in their children's lives. What's funny is listening to two such people talk to each other. They're really just speaking at each other. While one is talking, the other is just waiting her turn to speak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads