• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants that can't be altered-Help !!

brmoore

Reaction score
I found an Ebay store called "Beverly Hills Bazaar" who has offerings
of Etro, Cucinelli, etc Pants that are represented as Brand New with
Tags. In the description it says there is no material (0 inches) to alter
size in case they are a little small. Is this possible ? I have never
encountered expensive slacks with no extra material.
Has anyone any experience with this Ebay seller.
Bruce

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they are casual trousers, they might be constructed with 'flat felled' seams. Think of the seams in jeans, the fabric gets wrapped "˜round each other, then stitched through all the layers. There won't be any inlay on the inside, that could be let out.

Also cotton or corduroy trousers cannot be let out, even if constructed conventionally. The previous stitches will have left a mark which will never go away.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try searching the Ebay thread in Buying and Selling for opinions on this seller before you buy. Also post the Ebay link so we can read the description ourselves.

brmoore

Reaction score
I did run a search but got no results. This is the link to Ebay Store.
http://stores.ebay.com/beverlyhillsbazaar
There were pants listed from Etro, Vestimenta, Cucinelli as well as others
that were described as having no material to let out waist. Some Cords,
some Cotton, some Wool. All described as being new with tags. I find it
astonishing to think a company such as Etro would produce a pair of $400
pants that could not be adjusted.
I emailed seller again, but did not get a reply. Seller had a very good
feedback score but there were a few negative ones that raised a red flag.
One comment was Scam,Scam,Scam.
Bruce

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have purchased several expensive things from them. Their items have very little in the way of descriptions but I felt I was a knowledgeable buyer each time. They have almost no communications and rarely answer questions. One item I purchased was a Bergdorf cashmere hat by Cucinelli. It turned out to be sized for a child and was way too small. They refunded my money without any issue, but it was ridiculous that I had to go through the whole routine of bidding, buying then returning when all they had to do was fully and accurately describe the item for sale in the first place. That really pissed me off.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP-

In at least this case, I think that their standard page is misleading you.

These pants:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Etro-Italy-Cordu...QQcmdZViewItem

are unhemmed. The length listed in the title is the unhemmed length. There is no room to let them out as a result. As for the waist, my guess is that some underpaid staffer is responsible for filling out their page and doesn't know that you can measure the excess material at the waist, so they leave that at 0 also.

I'd still be wary about them. This post is one of many (seriously, use the Google search)

Originally Posted by A Harris
Never heard of Oxxford Couture either. I'm guessing it's just another collection with a fancy name though.

They could call the book 'How to get top dollar on ebay with crappy descriptions and minimal pics, while screwing over one in four customers'. Of course it would only have two chapters - 'volume' and '99 cent auctions'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads