• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Packing for Europe

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Two other things that come into play when I pack for Europe: First, anything that you don't care about wrinkling, like socks and underwear, should be packed in vacuum bags, so you can fit more. Also, especially in the summer, assume you'll need two pairs of underwear and two pairs of socks every day. If you'll have access to laundry, great, but otherwise I'd pack those first, then pack everything else around it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wore my khaki 501s and brought a pair of shorts (light colored, very trim, cut above the knee and cuffed). Even in the warmer places, the pants got a lot more wear.

I brought one pair of suede sneakers that were near the end of their lives. Bought new insoles in portugal and threw the shoes away when I got home...worn through and nasty. I had brought a pair of old navy flip flops for hostel use and ended up wearing them a few times to give my foot a break from the shoes. Also grabbed a pair of espadrilles in madrid for this same purpose.

For shirts I mostly had 3 well fitting cotton-poly t-shirts. Cotton may be great but when you are traveling, a little bit of poly is awesome (it dries fast, doesn't wrinkle so bad, doesn't stink when its a blend...only thing better would be wool t's but they are $$). Also had an acrylic sweater and one cotton button up shirt (but something with a pattern that would look fine unironed).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who cares if the OP will look like an American Tourist? That's what he will be over there.

You can dress as "European" as you want, you will still never fully fit in. Just dress nice, keep things form fitting and stay away from baggy pants and you will be fine. Dress weather appropriate. Enjoy the trip and don't worry if people know you are a tourist.

Just my thoughts.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Who cares if the OP will look like an American Tourist? That's what he will be over there.

You can dress as "European" as you want, you will still never fully fit in. Just dress nice, keep things form fitting and stay away from baggy pants and you will be fine. Dress weather appropriate. Enjoy the trip and don't worry if people know you are a tourist.

Just my thoughts.

Personally, I'd still prefer not to look like the stereotype/caricature of the American tourist.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Personally, I'd still prefer not to look like the stereotype/caricature of the American tourist.
And I am sure the OP won't. There is a big difference between dressing down by way of wearing a baseball cap, baggy cargo shorts and a free "branded" t-shirt like the "typical American tourist" and dressing with a little thought put in how you dress as most members here on SF do. I'm just saying it's pointless to try and look European on a short trip like this. As long as the OP dresses stylish, even if it's American stylish, he should be fine. It's not like he is moving there.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Whenever I go places I don't make a point to hide where I'm from. Stylish is stylish whether it's in the Mediterranean or NYC. Personally, I always pack boat shoes/moccasins/canvas slip ons to go running around places. People in Europe tend to dress a bit more like lookbook and its the norm to wear jackets but that's about it. If you REALLY want to blend in, in most any city, go for the black tee, dark jeans, white sneakers. Unlike North America, people in most places don't wear polos. Switch to black sneakers and a black blazer at night. So that basically leaves you with two pairs of shoes, jeans, 3-4 tshirts and a blazer. Light enough so that you can get into the shopping in Paris but not look like a slob beforehand.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
You've also apparently never seen OP's WAYWT posts.

lol8[1].gif

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Agreed. Whenever I go places I don't make a point to hide where I'm from. Stylish is stylish whether it's in the Mediterranean or NYC. Personally, I always pack boat shoes/moccasins/canvas slip ons to go running around places. People in Europe tend to dress a bit more like lookbook and its the norm to wear jackets but that's about it. If you REALLY want to blend in, in most any city, go for the black tee, dark jeans, white sneakers. Unlike North America, people in most places don't wear polos. Switch to black sneakers and a black blazer at night. So that basically leaves you with two pairs of shoes, jeans, 3-4 tshirts and a blazer. Light enough so that you can get into the shopping in Paris but not look like a slob beforehand.

+1. And if you are going to wear polos, don't do the RL/Lacoste/J. Crew type popular here. Go for a smooth cotton, with at 3-4 button placket or full button front and perhaps some details like double flap pockets or epaulets.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
+1. And if you are going to wear polos, don't do the RL/Lacoste/J. Crew type popular here. Go for a smooth cotton, with at 3-4 button placket or full button front and perhaps some details like double flap pockets or epaulets.

Please no epaulets on a polo, ever.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis

I'm wondering how to pull off a black blazer/dark slim jeans/some sort of shoe/some sort of shirt look especially in a place like Paris without looking like an American douche.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm taking carry on only for almost 3 weeks in Europe. Going to wash my clothes in the sink if I have to. I'm not wasting time with checking luggage and paying the extra fees for it.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys totally over reacted on somethings. It is like you created arguments in your own heads. I never disagreed with anyone. I said what I was doing up till now and now I'll make the proper amendments based on the what seems to be the most popular advice.

So far I'll be removing polo's, sticking with plain well cut T's, bring a solid cotton sweater and possible two pairs of shoes, although I'll probably be sticking with a rubber healed Top sider.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I'm taking carry on only for almost 3 weeks in Europe. Going to wash my clothes in the sink if I have to. I'm not wasting time with checking luggage and paying the extra fees for it.

Vacuum bags (or the kind that just suck air out w/o a vacuum) will safe your life! I'm sure you can also find a laundromat easily, as I doubt many older buildings in Europe have modern laundry facilities (like in NYC).

For int'l travel, especially if I'm making a connection, I agree 100% with carry-on-only as a policy, it makes things soooooo much easier. If you buy too much you can always ship your laundry home.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I'm wondering how to pull off a black blazer/dark slim jeans/some sort of shoe/some sort of shirt look especially in a place like Paris without looking like an American douche.

Make sure it fits is the biggest thing I can think of. I've paid a lot of attention in Europe to style, and have realized that a huge percentage of Europeans have just as bad taste in clothes as Americans, but they just wear stuff that fits! Super distressed Diesel jeans and a track jacket look so much better on a guy who buys them to fit right.

I think look #10 from this season's APC men's collection is a good summary, but I'd do black shoes if doing a black blazer:

http://usonline.apc.fr/?#/men/

vthustle

Reaction score
Vacuum bags = excellent idea

European laundromats = horrible idea

When I went last summer, the only ones our group ever found was in shady parts of whatever city we were in (Florence excluded). In Basel, we went to one where an older gentlemen came in after us and he proceeded to drop his trousers in the middle of the establishment and threw them in with the rest of his clothes. Not a pretty sight. Just hand wash your stuff if you really need to.

And I agree with the post above, it's not like Europeans are impervious to bad taste in clothing. My biggest suggestion is to bring comfortable shoes for walking. I bought a beater pair of sneakers with comfort in mind and I'm forever grateful for that. I was pushing 15-20 miles a day around some cities, and one thing I learned real quick: cobblestones suck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads