• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Packing for Europe

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vthustle
Vacuum bags = excellent idea

European laundromats = horrible idea

When I went last summer, the only ones our group ever found was in shady parts of whatever city we were in (Florence excluded). In Basel, we went to one where an older gentlemen came in after us and he proceeded to drop his trousers in the middle of the establishment and threw them in with the rest of his clothes. Not a pretty sight. Just hand wash your stuff if you really need to.

And I agree with the post above, it's not like Europeans are impervious to bad taste in clothing. My biggest suggestion is to bring comfortable shoes for walking. I bought a beater pair of sneakers with comfort in mind and I'm forever grateful for that. I was pushing 15-20 miles a day around some cities, and one thing I learned real quick: cobblestones suck.

Didn't realize that, re: laundromats. The time's I've gone for more than a week there were enough of us to justify renting an apt, which came with a machine. Do you think it's like NY where you can just send it out or drop it off and pick it up that afternoon all wrapped and folded? If sink-washing is the plan, I'd look for some athletic underwear meant to wick away sweat, so it'll dry very quickly.

Oh, and one more thing I'd recommend, if you don't already have all your luggage: get a roll-aboard with a zip-out hanging garment bag. It allows you to just have your shirts and suits folded over horizontally without being scrunched up. Still wrinkles, just not as much or in as many places. Hopefully you'll be flying a US airline, so they won't weigh your carry-on (as some European carriers do).

Rolfi

Reaction score
of course you can take your stuff to a drycleaners but that means paying a lot just to get your tshirts and socks cleaned, you won't be finding any laundromats like in the US in germany or switzerland. usually every single apt or building has it's own washingmachine

good luck with washing your stuff in a sink...

Easyjet and Ryanair charge you extra fo luggage, carry on is no extra charge

DrPat

Reaction score
Make sure it fits is the biggest thing I can think of. I've paid a lot of attention in Europe to style, and have realized that a huge percentage of Europeans have just as bad taste in clothes as Americans, but they just wear stuff that fits! Super distressed Diesel jeans and a track jacket look so much better on a guy who buys them to fit right.
I agree with this 100%. Also, obesity is not as big of a problem in Europe.

Originally Posted by Rölfi
of course you can take your stuff to a drycleaners but that means paying a lot just to get your tshirts and socks cleaned, you won't be finding any laundromats like in the US in germany or switzerland. usually every single apt or building has it's own washingmachine

It's true that self-service washing is hard to find. But professional cleaners are everywhere. I've had them tell me I need to wait anywhere between a few days and few hours for my clothes to be washed and dried. The best solution I've seen is a Wash Bar where you can drink beers while waiting for your wash to finish.

When I travel I usually wear microfiber t-shirts and underwear and thin wool socks. Even if they don't dry completely overnight, they will dry as soon as you step outside into the sun. It helps if you use a soap specifically made for handwashing since it is easier to rinse out than normal detergent. I prefer Rei in der Tube which can be found in many German shops (and now in the US here http://www.germandeli.com/reiindertube.html )

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Hopefully you'll be flying a US airline, so they won't weigh your carry-on (as some European carriers do).

I remember boarding my one ryanair flight wearing so much clothing it wasn't even funny. I had a bunch of layers plus a jacket (this was pisa in july), my sleep sack stuffed into a jacket pocket, and a bunch of other junk stuffed in the other jacket pocket and I still barely cleared their absurdly low carryon limit (they ended up not weighing it...but everybody was weighing their own **** in an empty checkout line to make sure)

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrPat
I agree with this 100%. Also, obesity is not as big of a problem in Europe.

HA! Go check out Oktoberfest in Germany, then. Or go to a pub in London or Liverpool. Trust me, there's obesity in Europe.

Rolfi

Reaction score
he never said that there aren't any overweight people in europe

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Who cares if the OP will look like an American Tourist? That's what he will be over there.

You can dress as "European" as you want, you will still never fully fit in. Just dress nice, keep things form fitting and stay away from baggy pants and you will be fine. Dress weather appropriate. Enjoy the trip and don't worry if people know you are a tourist.

Just my thoughts.

+1

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Please no epaulets on a polo, ever.

+1 gazillion

no white sneakers
no black t-shirts

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
So far I'll be removing polo's, sticking with plain well cut T's, bring a solid cotton sweater and possible two pairs of shoes, although I'll probably be sticking with a rubber healed Top sider.

noooooooooooooooooooooo

that brandmarks you as american. nobody wears that here.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
noooooooooooooooooooooo

that brandmarks you as american. nobody wears that here.

Just curious- what would a city-dwelling European wear on a normal day?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
HA! Go check out Oktoberfest in Germany, then. Or go to a pub in London or Liverpool. Trust me, there's obesity in Europe.
God you're an idiot.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Just curious- what would a city-dwelling European wear on a normal day?

a polo
a short sleeve shirt

but nothing without a collar.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rölfi
he never said that there aren't any overweight people in europe

I should clarify then. Obesity is probably as big a problem in Europe.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
God you're an idiot.

Ha ha. **** OFF, asshole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads