• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford manhattan ii model

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up 2 Oxxford suits today -- a Gibbons model and a Manhattan II model -- with the intent of keeping only one of them. Initially I thought I'd go with Gibbons for sure. Indeed, the only reason that I picked up the Manhattan was because it felt like the Gibbons was running small on me (and so was the Manhattan) but they only had the M in a 40R (G was a 38R only). So, after trying the suits on at my house with shirt and tie and dress shoes and belt I now think that the Manhattan model is just a classic. It isn't as sack like as a previous poster said. The difference seems to be that the waist suppression is a bit hidden by the very natural shoulder line. Plus, nipping it 1" i the waist should be no problem. The button stance I initially thought was too low, but with a shirt and tie it actually looks timeless and actually flatters my build. Most importantly, the Manhattan is the most comfortable suit I've ever tried on (along with a Kiton that I tried on for kicks), without doubt. The Gibbons isn't as comfortable -- it still feels like you are wearing a suit, whereas the Manhattan you almost forget. Makes me regret not buying that St. Andrews from A. Harris when I had the chance, because a comfortable jacket is worth its weight in gold. Hopefully Andrew will have more in the future. I just wish the Manhattan were double vented, but that would probably look silly with the other styling details.

As a side note, I've noticed that my Chan jacket -- although a radically different cut than the Manhattan -- is also super comfortable. I think if I had the time to wait for Chan to come to the U.S., I might stick with them -- not so much for fit but for stylistic control. I still think that while Chan makes a great great suit, they don't equal the perfection of Oxxford. And at the price I got the Oxxford for, that's less than what Chan is currently quoting me for another suit (Chan's prices fluctuate depending on when you order apparently -- they run "specials" that don't last. Price is still good, but Filene's is better right now).

Anyways, I'd be curious as to what you all think about the Manhattan II model if you have tried it on. I mean, I would't wear it to a party, I don't think, but I'd definitely feel my best meeting a client in it.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you find the Oxxford that feels like a second skin they call that Nirvana... depends on your shape.

I have a few that do that for me and the fun part is that after you wear it a few times it will fit better (Weird, I know, but true - the chest will start to conform to you).

Forget what someone else tells you on the one that feels perfect, my bet is that it will look great on you if it feels that good because you'll be at ease and thinkin "DAMN do I look GOOD...."  Congratulations and welcome to a very expensive addiction... there is a 12 step program for it but I usually get to like step 2 and go grab another 44R oxxford.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carlo, this is a fun "addiction." The best part is that I have an excuse (like getting hammered on your 21st birthday is something you "have to do"): I'm on the verge of starting with a law firm so not only do I need to replace my jeans and t-shirts of law school days with at least a decent size collection of suits, but I'm getting paid enough to allow me to buy a couple of discount Oxxfords without really feeling like I'm financially damaged at all. What will really be fun is when the closet is complete (7 suits, 15 shirts, and 45 ties is what the end goal is) and then I can actually wear them. From there on out, any new suit purchase will be a rare treat (maybe once every 6 months while I'm at the firm -- once I head back to the government to clerk then NONE&#33
wink.gif
. But Jantzen shirts -- now there is the real addiction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads