• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other suits like Isaia?

Nativefx

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Isaia sportcoat and was pleased by how much more freedom I had in being able to move my arms. I credit this to the manufacturing of their garments which feature higher armholes.

Due to my physical build, I have always had a tough time finding suits/sportcoats that were comfortable and offered the freedom of movement due to my wide shoulders and chest.

I am aware of the Isaia offerings on STP, but I wanted to know if there were other manufacturers who built their suits in the same fashion that I also might be able to look at? Any help would be appreciated.
smile.gif

This site has been a tremendous help with all those more knowledgeable than I!

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you might also like the newest zegna model-- I haven't seen any yet online, but that's not to say they aren't there. I'd be interested to see (or call, if you're looking for something sooner) if the Zegna outlet at Woodbury Commons has any of these suits. I tried one on at Saks, and they are badass. I especially liked the breast pocket, which curves up like a knife-blade at one corner.

http://www.esquire.com/style/obsessi...?click=main_sr

I'm not sure if this is the one or not-- maybe it is the Milano model??

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nativefx
I recently purchased an Isaia sportcoat and was pleased by how much more freedom I had in being able to move my arms. I credit this to the manufacturing of their garments which feature higher armholes.

Due to my physical build, I have always had a tough time finding suits/sportcoats that were comfortable and offered the freedom of movement due to my wide shoulders and chest.

I am aware of the Isaia offerings on STP, but I wanted to know if there were other manufacturers who built their suits in the same fashion that I also might be able to look at? Any help would be appreciated.
smile.gif

This site has been a tremendous help with all those more knowledgeable than I!

I'm sure there's more knowledgeable answers coming from others but...

First, you mention that the higher armholes are good -- do you also need a wider shoulder or just better waist suppression? Because other than the Stewart model, most Isaias I find seem to have narrower shoulders than is expected for their tagged size. So I'm not sure if you just need higher armholes, or whether you also need a wider shoulder for the tagged size. If you could expand on what your physical build is and how things have not fit you in the past, it would help a lot.

And not sure if you're going for cheaper or more expensive clothing, but solely based on what I've worn, RTW with relatively higher armholes are Borrelli and Oxxford (Gibbons, Radcliffe) at the higher end, and Samuelsohn (both their own and ones made for Paul Stuart), Gianluca (Isaia's diffusion line) and RL black label. Off the top of my head, I think folks like Attolini, RL Blue Label (Jerome IV, e.g.), David Chu also have relatively higher armholes. So far, I am the biggest fan of Borrelli's cut, and based on your description, you seem to have a similar body type as I do, so you may like Borrelli very much. However, it's not cheap, and sadly isn't listed on STP...

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed-- you might find a borrelli jacket is right up your alley. they pop up on ebay and www.shopthefinest.com from time to time--

BUT......i would NOT recommend you try a suit without seeing the trousers first. While Isaia has a very reasonable trouser that looks great in flat front, nothing outlandish . Borrelli has a tiny leg opening at the ankle which I could never pull off, thought it looked too weird and non-traditional.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-3745-Luigi-B...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.shopthefinest.com/Items/lb5560?

Attolini you'd like as well, but the discounted price is usually higher than the discounted isaia items-- and some of the attolinis are narrow at the ankles, too.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This info is useful for me. I wear Isaia MTM suits but would like to explore other options. I've worn Zegna but grew tired of their options. The brands mentioned here give me something to consider.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found that Borrelli jackets fit more thight overall. IMO, Kiton jackets fit smiliar to Isaia jackets.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
I'm not sure if this is the one or not-- maybe it is the Milano model??[/url]

Roma

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these mentioned brands are maybe similar to the Base V model, the current base S model ( 2 and 3 buttons) fit very generously. I actually have to size down to 54 Euro from my usual 56 Euro for the more fitted look.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Ed, The Zegna looks great. Very unlike everything I've seen from them. Who carries that model?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roma?? I thought the Roma had the more squared, 'roman' shoulders?

--just checked my Zegna navy sportcoat, it is a Roma and the shoulders are very sharp-squared, just short of severe.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EasyGoing
Ed, The Zegna looks great. Very unlike everything I've seen from them. Who carries that model?

I got it from my "back of the truck" source
smile.gif

Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Roma?? I thought the Roma had the more squared, 'roman' shoulders?

--just checked my Zegna navy sportcoat, it is a Roma and the shoulders are very sharp-squared, just short of severe.

Roma Cardigan and the Traveller jackets have soft shoulders.

Nativefx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
I'm sure there's more knowledgeable answers coming from others but...

First, you mention that the higher armholes are good -- do you also need a wider shoulder or just better waist suppression? Because other than the Stewart model, most Isaias I find seem to have narrower shoulders than is expected for their tagged size. So I'm not sure if you just need higher armholes, or whether you also need a wider shoulder for the tagged size. If you could expand on what your physical build is and how things have not fit you in the past, it would help a lot.

And not sure if you're going for cheaper or more expensive clothing, but solely based on what I've worn, RTW with relatively higher armholes are Borrelli and Oxxford (Gibbons, Radcliffe) at the higher end, and Samuelsohn (both their own and ones made for Paul Stuart), Gianluca (Isaia's diffusion line) and RL black label. Off the top of my head, I think folks like Attolini, RL Blue Label (Jerome IV, e.g.), David Chu also have relatively higher armholes. So far, I am the biggest fan of Borrelli's cut, and based on your description, you seem to have a similar body type as I do, so you may like Borrelli very much. However, it's not cheap, and sadly isn't listed on STP...

Here is a little more information that may help. I do have fairly wide shoulder, but the main problem in fit that I have is in the front lower section of the armhole. Basically it is usually too tight to get my arms up in the air any higher than just below shoulder height. Even when I reach across by chest, it is usually to tight. If I just go to a bigger jacket, the whole jacket is too big.

The two button Isaia sportcoat I bought is the Scott G model in a 58R. It measures about 20.25" shoulder seam to seam, 24" from armpit to armpit and almost 23" at the waist (across the top button). This is a pretty close fit. Does this sound familiar for most measurements on a Isaia 58R? In a US size I wear a 46R and as it usually fits across the shoulders, the waist is usually way too big but it is still a little too tight under the arm.

I hope this makes it a little clearer. I'm not versed in all the correct terminology.
blush.gif

The same time that I ordered this jacket, I ordered a Corneliani in a 58R which was very big and I wasn't sure I could have it taken in to the size I would like, so I then ordered the same jacket in a 56R. The 56R fit better in the shoulder and wasn't so big in the waist, but then again was the problem under the arm and feeling very constricted. So, I ended up sending both of them back today.
frown.gif

P.S. - I am assuming then that most of the Isaia suits/jackets I would need to order in 58R, even though on STP some of the 56R are supposed to be equivalent to a 46R?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads