• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTC socks: once you try them no going back?

bwp

Reaction score
Can't wear them, my pants get caught on them. It is a shame as I do enjoy the way the feel.

jt10000

Reaction score
I think OTC socks are less likely to fall down, but good shorter socks can also stay up. I've tried some OTC socks and liked them, but my favorite dress socks are lower. And actually they're not dress socks - they're a high-tech thin and smooth black sports sock that looks dressy, apart from a logo under the arch.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
I prefer OTC to MC as well (like others, I hate having to pull them up all the time).

However, my real beef with most socks is that the heel always ends up halfway up my leg because they're always too big for my size 8 feet. Drives my crazy, especially when the heel is a different colour than the rest of the sock.

Rich0116

Reaction score

However, my real beef with most socks is that the heel always ends up halfway up my leg because they're always too big for my size 8 feet. Drives my crazy, especially when the heel is a different colour than the rest of the sock.

^^

This is what drove me, finally, to pay top-dollar for socks: the ability to buy properly sized socks. *Such* a difference, not just in aesthetics but in feel as well.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score

^^
This is what drove me, finally, to pay top-dollar for socks: the ability to buy properly sized socks. *Such* a difference, not just in aesthetics but in feel as well.

How about longevity? I tend to wear out socks rather quickly. Do the more expensive ones wear better?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't wear any dress socks except OTC. Longevity, I wear Gold Toe OTC (found them for $1 a pair) and the same 15 pairs have lasted me over 2 years. They're still going strong.

canizara

Reaction score
'Got tired of mid-calf socks falling down constantly so I switched to OTC recently. No more sock pulling every few minutes. Should have done it years ago! :)

NoCleverName

Reaction score
I buy OTC for the most part, although I have large calves so some OTC brands still fall down (I'm looking at you Brooks Brothers). I've just ordered 8 pairs of Pantherella OTC off STP, so we'll see how those fare.

Rich0116

Reaction score

How about longevity? I tend to wear out socks rather quickly. Do the more expensive ones wear better?

If you're a hard user of socks I might shy away from the pricier socks as they can wear out if not cared for properly. That said, I've worn my socks pretty well (I'm a teacher so I'm on my feet all day, walking around, going from meeting to class and such - definitely not a desk job) and I've only managed to wear a very small hole in one sock at the toe after almost 2 years. Also, this was one of the first socks I bought so it got worn pretty hard; now that I have a real rotation I notice they all do rather well.

Interestingly enough, it's the wool socks that hold up better than the cotton ones. Treat them right and wear them modestly and they'll last.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're a hard user of socks I might shy away from the pricier socks as they can wear out if not cared for properly. That said, I've worn my socks pretty well (I'm a teacher so I'm on my feet all day, walking around, going from meeting to class and such - definitely not a desk job) and I've only managed to wear a very small hole in one sock at the toe after almost 2 years. Also, this was one of the first socks I bought so it got worn pretty hard; now that I have a real rotation I notice they all do rather well.
Interestingly enough, it's the wool socks that hold up better than the cotton ones. Treat them right and wear them modestly and they'll last.

Any tips on how to take care of them?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turn them inside out.

Wash in cold water on delicate (or by hand)

Dry on low heat (or air dry)

Rich0116

Reaction score

Turn them inside out.
Wash in cold water on delicate (or by hand)
Dry on low heat (or air dry)

This.

I use a garment bag in the wash and wash the socks on cold, delicate cycle, and then line-dry them. Works like a charm. I hand-washed them when I started but the time commitment was a bit much for socks. The garment bag prevents pulling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads