• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTC socks: once you try them no going back?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until just a few months ago I had never tried OTC socks. Well now all the socks I am buying have to be OTC. Maybe in the spring I might grab a few MC socks but there is no doubt I like the feel and comfort of OTC better.

I think most people dismiss OTC without trying them. Or are there a lot of people that have found they aren't for them after they gave em a chance?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I switched from mid-calf to OTC quickly when I got tired of them falling down my leg. Aren't they the standard here?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hated my first ones (Gallo, fairly thick). Love my newer Pantharellas (old stock with the red label), but they always get snagged on my trousers.

Got one pair of Bresciani in cotton/linen from dandystore.fr before it closed, they're pretty nice but alas, I cannot get more...

addedfuel

Reaction score
I started wearing OTC socks a year ago and it's my staple now. Love that I don't have to pull up my socks and gives me a coherent look without exposing my skin when I sit down (as I mostly wear slim pants without break). Got Pantherella, Gammarelli, and Sorleys from Th Armoury.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hated my first ones (Gallo, fairly thick). Love my newer Pantharellas (old stock with the red label), but they always get snagged on my trousers.
Got one pair of Bresciani in cotton/linen from dandystore.fr before it closed, they're pretty nice but alas, I cannot get more...

I started wearing OTC after I tried a pair of Gallo, I was able to get the thin ones. They were like a second skin and didn't fall down the entire day.

I think the main difference between mid-calf and OTC is whether they're going to stay up for not (?). Also, I could never imagine wearing wool OTC socks, even in the UK winter!

Rich0116

Reaction score
OTC FTW. Skinny trousers may not be friendly to them, but.../shrug

And don't sell wool socks short; I've found that a good merino wool is a great boon in winter and very comfy even on warmer days of fall and spring. The biggest advantage: they keep my feet bone dry. I wear Gammarelli and love them to death, and I'm likely to pick up a few Bresciani from Will at ASW soonish.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OTC FTW. Skinny trousers may not be friendly to them, but.../shrug
And don't sell wool socks short; I've found that a good merino wool is a great boon in winter and very comfy even on warmer days of fall and spring. The biggest advantage: they keep my feet bone dry. I wear Gammarelli and love them to death, and I'm likely to pick up a few Bresciani from Will at ASW soonish.

+1. Love OTC socks and love wool. Cashmere feels great, but wears out quickly. I've found that merino wool hits that sweet spot between comfort, warmth, and durability.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate having my MC Socks always falling down, however instead of OTC (which i liked the feel of, but had issues finding at the same price point as MC) I simply bought sock garters. it is a old fashioned this to do, but i absolutely love the feel. and i get much too hot with OTC for the most part

Dib

Reaction score
I used to hate the thought of wearing OTC, but tried a pair out of curiosity earlier this year and have never looked back - i love the clean look that's achieved by them not falling down. Can't bring myself to buy mid calf anymore.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTC ftw
Required for thick calves

This. I have thick calves and mid-calf socks keep going down again and again and again!

I always try to get OTC, unless I see a pair that I really like that is not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads