OTC socks: once you try them no going back?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clarksdb, Oct 31, 2012.

1. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Until just a few months ago I had never tried OTC socks. Well now all the socks I am buying have to be OTC. Maybe in the spring I might grab a few MC socks but there is no doubt I like the feel and comfort of OTC better.

I think most people dismiss OTC without trying them. Or are there a lot of people that have found they aren't for them after they gave em a chance?

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I switched from mid-calf to OTC quickly when I got tired of them falling down my leg. Aren't they the standard here?

4. Zac Duncan

Zac Duncan Well-Known Member

tried, but i don't really like it

5. lysandar

lysandar Senior member

Never looked back.

6. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Hated my first ones (Gallo, fairly thick). Love my newer Pantharellas (old stock with the red label), but they always get snagged on my trousers.

Got one pair of Bresciani in cotton/linen from dandystore.fr before it closed, they're pretty nice but alas, I cannot get more...

7. addedfuel

addedfuel Senior member

I started wearing OTC socks a year ago and it's my staple now. Love that I don't have to pull up my socks and gives me a coherent look without exposing my skin when I sit down (as I mostly wear slim pants without break). Got Pantherella, Gammarelli, and Sorleys from Th Armoury.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Not a fan either. They snag on your trousers too much unless you either wear very full cut trousers (I don't) or have fully lined trousers (I don't, get too hot)

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I started wearing OTC after I tried a pair of Gallo, I was able to get the thin ones. They were like a second skin and didn't fall down the entire day.

I think the main difference between mid-calf and OTC is whether they're going to stay up for not (?). Also, I could never imagine wearing wool OTC socks, even in the UK winter!

10. Rich0116

Rich0116 Senior member

OTC FTW. Skinny trousers may not be friendly to them, but.../shrug

And don't sell wool socks short; I've found that a good merino wool is a great boon in winter and very comfy even on warmer days of fall and spring. The biggest advantage: they keep my feet bone dry. I wear Gammarelli and love them to death, and I'm likely to pick up a few Bresciani from Will at ASW soonish.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

+1. Love OTC socks and love wool. Cashmere feels great, but wears out quickly. I've found that merino wool hits that sweet spot between comfort, warmth, and durability.

13. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

I hate having my MC Socks always falling down, however instead of OTC (which i liked the feel of, but had issues finding at the same price point as MC) I simply bought sock garters. it is a old fashioned this to do, but i absolutely love the feel. and i get much too hot with OTC for the most part

14. Dib

Dib Senior member

I used to hate the thought of wearing OTC, but tried a pair out of curiosity earlier this year and have never looked back - i love the clean look that's achieved by them not falling down. Can't bring myself to buy mid calf anymore.

15. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

This. I have thick calves and mid-calf socks keep going down again and again and again!

I always try to get OTC, unless I see a pair that I really like that is not.