• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on this color combination?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually only browse Men's Clothing and thought it would be convenient to ask for opinions on this colour combination. The camera kind of screwed up the colour of my pants; they are just standard dark brown slacks, and the dress shirt may be a bit hard to see which is white with thin maroon stripes.

Any comments or constructive critisism about it overall are appreciated, I need to get myself together for a date that may be coming up in the near future.

DSC_0271.jpg

Thanks in advance!
JB

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way, I wouldn't wear that on a date. The color combo looks okay for daily wear, dark brown shoes would be much better, the black looks too jarring. Pants look too big, and nothing about the look makes me think of "date clothes". The combination of everything - colors, fit, style - makes you seem like you are trying too hard to look older than you are. If you are going on a date, stick to dark, sliming colors, you look like you are in good shape from the pic.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree it looks a bit awkward on you. and my GOD those pants!!! are you trying to revive the oxford bags fashion? i think it'd look less pretentious without the hat. honestly it's a bit distracting. when i think hat i think either business, or detective, neither of which you're going for here. the colors are all too drab, and make it seem like you're wearing your dad's clothes, especially juxtaposed against that blue, blue background.

i would go for slimmer pants, and probably a brighter shirt, if you are intending on wearing it with that sweater. brown shoes would also look better. but the main thing you absolutely have to fix are those pants. it would look MUCH more flattering on you.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the fit of the pants is a problem and that black shoes with brown slacks is a mismatch. But as far as the overall style, though it's unusual for someone your age, if that's really your normal dressy look, it makes sense to me that you would wear it for a dressy date -- on a date, you want to be your best you, you don't want to be someone else.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, so far the consensus seems to be to get slimmer pants which I will do, and now after these comments I guess I realize how big they really are
smile.gif

Would a hat be considered acceptable with this kind of attire? If not the hat I have can someone recommend one?

JB

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
when i think hat i think either business, or detective
Hey, get with it Pops! Don't be a Stickinthemud. All the cool kids are wearing hats.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
So, so far the consensus seems to be to get slimmer pants which I will do, and now after these comments I guess I realize how big they really are
smile.gif
Would a hat be considered acceptable with this kind of attire? If not the hat I have can someone recommend one? JB

With respect to things like brimmed hats, which make a rather unique statement, I tend to say that if you're uncertain enough about it that you have to ask, you might be better off without it.

mhdena

Reaction score
smile.gif

Would a hat be considered acceptable with this kind of attire? If not the hat I have can someone recommend one?

JB

I always thought the hat should be the same color of the top coat.
Brown pants = brown shoes

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never really been a fan of that high a neckline for a sweater especially if your wearing a tie, the sweater covers it up. The color combinations are fine, from shoes to hat. I have to say that you seem a bit young to pull off a sophisticated look like that one. I can't imagine someone wearing for a date unless it was to the early bird special. Chin up though you do have a great eye for color just need to step back a few decades in the style department and you'll be looking sharp.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Hey, get with it Pops! Don't be a Stickinthemud. All the cool kids are wearing hats.

thanks for the lilo nip, ooh lala. i'm just around her age, actually
inlove.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I usually only browse Men's Clothing and thought it would be convenient to ask for opinions on this colour combination. The camera kind of screwed up the colour of my pants; they are just standard dark brown slacks, and the dress shirt may be a bit hard to see which is white with thin maroon stripes.

Any comments or constructive critisism about it overall are appreciated, I need to get myself together for a date that may be coming up in the near future.

DSC_0271.jpg

Thanks in advance!
JB

dood , you look sweet. until i scrolled to the bottom. take up the pants . but you look sweet. i love the look.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shoes, fix or change the pants, more flattering sweater, ditch the hat. Basicly dress well but closer to your age.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look good by the way, but for work. Not a date.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just to repeat what's been said before:

1. pants too long and big
2. brown shoes
3. lose the hat
4. lose the tie

Think relaxed, but cool. This look screams "look at me, I'm trying to be cool."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads