• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoemaker for the Rest of Your Life

Which Shoemaker?

• Allen Edmonds

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • Carmina

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Alden

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • Vass

Votes: 19 15.8%

• Total voters

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edward Green for me. If I ever went bespoke, I'd probably go with Mr. Templeman as I like his aesthetic.

On a separate note, I really don't understand why someone would want to end up owning 30+ AE pairs. Why not have 7-8 EGs instead? Or something of similar quality at least. Surely that's enough to cover most use cases while at the same time allowing you to wear a proper pair of shoes.

I know one has to buy according to budget at first but, man, more than 30 pairs of AE...
They are collectors.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently own AE, Alden, White's Boots, Trickers, Carmina, C&J and Rancourt & Company for the types of shoes we're talking about There are things I like about all of them. If I had to choose 1 only, it would be C&J:
AE has a great price point, but their quality isn't up to the others
Alden: Like the styling but the tongues on every boot are too narrow and slip to the side. Since I buy both shoes and boots, this eliminates them. Also, they are more limited in their leather offerings. For my casual shoes/boots I like other options
Carmina: Love the way they look and quality has been good but their lasts, being more fashion forward are less comfortable for long periods than others on the list. So I like them as the occasional alternative but wouldn't want to wear them every day
White's: great, durable boots - and the most comfortable. But also the most casual. Also, they can't match some of the others for detail work. So, great for what they are but not a sole supplier of shoes for me
Rancourt: another budget option. I've had a couple pairs and one re-soled to a different sole and all 3 soles have been terrible - wore twice as fast as anything else I've owned.
C&J: good quality, good price point (especially when you buy from a UK reseller and avoid the U.S. C&J price hike), plenty of options and very comfortable.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, many of these brands mentioned are perfectly fine to keep as one maker. I may not like most of these choices, possibly none, but that's a personal choice. In fact, everyone has personal choices as to why they would select one brand over another. What would concern me with many of the choices is that they inhibit the curious. Were an individual naturally curious about the various levels available to them beyond GYW construction, as well as RTW shoes, practically all the brands listed would fall short of fulfilling those aspirations.

Of course, no one should or would be relegated to only one option in reality, but in keeping with the original query not many offer as many options as Meccariello.

Rich T

Reaction score
Do you really find the QC that bad?
Yes -I wish I found it otherwise, and hope they will make changes. In the last few years, every other pair I ordered suffered from loose stitching, or misaligned eyelets, or leather that is less than desirable. It’s disheartening.
When I was younger and the cost of a good pair of shoes seemed considerable, I would celebrate bonus checks with a new pair of shoes from AE. At one time they were my first choice in dress shoes.
Sent from my iPad

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes -I wish I found it otherwise, and hope they will make changes. In the last few years, every other pair I ordered suffered from loose stitching, or misaligned eyelets, or leather that is less than desirable. It’s disheartening.
When I was younger and the cost of a good pair of shoes seemed considerable, I would celebrate bonus checks with a new pair of shoes from AE. At one time they were my first choice in dress shoes.
Sent from my iPad

That is a real pity. Christ. They should get their act together.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edward Green for me. If I ever went bespoke, I'd probably go with Mr. Templeman as I like his aesthetic.

On a separate note, I really don't understand why someone would want to end up owning 30+ AE pairs. Why not have 7-8 EGs instead? Or something of similar quality at least. Surely that's enough to cover most use cases while at the same time allowing you to wear a proper pair of shoes.

I know one has to buy according to budget at first but, man, more than 30 pairs of AE...

Because I regularly can find Allen Edmonds for <$100.00 for a shoe that:

1. Looks good.
2. Is made decently well.
3. Feels good.

Sadly, EG doesn't fit my feet quite as well. If I were to go to an English maker, I'd prefer Crockett and Jones, which sadly, I'd have to pay retail for.

AE is an option that, as a man with wide ass feet, I know I can comfortably wear almost anything they offer. Fit is king, and the price is hard to match.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is troublesome is the trend towards sneakers, but I literally just saw George Cleverley post about their sneakers on Instagram. Soooooooooo, that's just the way the shoe market is going.

Yes,
no channeled soles,
less handwork needed,
big markups on the brand name,
more profit.

E.G G&G Lobb,
they all do it now.
They make all type of excuse to sell it,
comfort and casual.
They enter cheaper casual shoe market and try to convince public it is still Cleverley G&G E.G,
but it cheap construction with their brand name.

E.G sell many rubber soles now,
cheaper to make and more profit,
it all about cost cutting

AgentGary

Reaction score
Yes,
no channeled soles,
less handwork needed,
big markups on the brand name,
more profit.

E.G G&G Lobb,
they all do it now.
They make all type of excuse to sell it,
comfort and casual.
They enter cheaper casual shoe market and try to convince public it is still Cleverley G&G E.G,
but it cheap construction with their brand name.

E.G sell many rubber soles now,
cheaper to make and more profit,
it all about cost cutting
Saphir's son, me want to try Vass.
Have F last size 43 but fit ok. Need arch support and wider width
Email and Instagram me try everything. But Vass no response.

Please, me need help to talk to people at Vass.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is troublesome is the trend towards sneakers, but I literally just saw George Cleverley post about their sneakers on Instagram. Soooooooooo, that's just the way the shoe market is going.

Cleverley's ready-to-wear sneakers are made to a higher standard than their bespoke shoes.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saphir's son, me want to try Vass.
Have F last size 43 but fit ok. Need arch support and wider width
Email and Instagram me try everything. But Vass no response.

Please, me need help to talk to people at Vass.

It take special trick.
You need to know special people.
You need secret emails and secret ways.:smarmy:

For normal public,
put headline = Vass special order
see if it works.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden doesn’t.

Alden is special company because it have a strong identity with iconic shoe styles,
but it already cost cut with cheaper materials like fiber board insoles etc.
So further cost cutting not out of question.
Alden very expensive,
and sneakers and glued soles could be good way to add to profits and keep shoe brand afloat.

R.M.Williams is also unique company different to any other traditional shoe factory in the world,
but it also cost cut and make sneakers now.
This is significant because it go against RMW strongest selling point and niche' of the outback.
It big gamble and unthinkable 15 years ago.
The brand very diluted now and also make cheaper constructed product.
It stray from niche and risk becoming an ordinary shoe brand.

AgentGary

Reaction score
Alden is special company because it have a strong identity with iconic shoe styles,
but it already cost cut with cheaper materials like fiber board insoles etc.
So further cost cutting not out of question.
Alden very expensive,
and sneakers and glued soles could be good way to add to profits and keep shoe brand afloat.

R.M.Williams is also unique company different to any other traditional shoe factory in the world,
but it also cost cut and make sneakers now.
This is significant because it go against RMW strongest selling point and niche' of the outback.
It big gamble and unthinkable 15 years ago.
The brand very diluted now and also make cheaper constructed product.
It stray from niche and risk becoming an ordinary shoe brand.
Saphir's eldest son,
Me have lots Alden, quality not consistent.
Me live with Alden small mistakes, but feel different than Vass charm.
Alden mistakes from bad factory worker
Also prices keep going up, me moving to other shoemakers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads