• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................

RJE

Reaction score
Near the end of the thread? Then let's go out with an opinionated rant.

A few examples of themes I dislike. A couple include a solid, but show what too many people do. Some shirts look solid, but are patterned. I've counted strong herringbone, or a chunky knit, as patterns.

Dots on dots, where the dots are too similar

Squares on squares

Lines on lines…on lines

Strongly competing elements

Generally don't like

(There’s something I almost like about the first one)

This jacket was begging for a calm, solid tie

I think it’s the lines

Tie pattern similar size to the shirt pattern (the tie is also just horrible)

Better examples

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great post, RJE - thanks for going through and finding all those pictures. One thing I'm noticing in your "better" group (which I agree is better) - the color schemes are much better. In particular, there's not much color "matching" in them, but there's a lot of using the same color family, but with different hues. I think some of those in the "bad" category could be turned to good even keeping the patterns the same if the colors were different. (for example, change the shirt in 'dots on dots' #2 to a light blue check instead of a purple...

Among the ones you don't like, I think "squares on squares" #1 is pretty good and although I recognize it's very loud, for some reason I like "I think it's the lines"

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll play:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In retrospect, the tie and pocket square colors above probably match too closely. I wear this combo with charcoal gray trousers and have worn it with charcoal gray trousers having a small cream check, just to play with four patterns. I find it interesting that worn with a light blue shirt, this combination elicited no reactions, but when I switched to a french blue shirt, compliments started rolling in. And yes, I know the shirt is solid, so it doesn't really fit Ed's criteria for the thread.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IMO this one is fairly understated. I forget which pocket square I wore this day, probably plain white linen.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This thread is like throwing a live skunk over a badminton net, and back again, repeatedly, angering it further each time.

If there isn't a grounding solid, or near-solid, in a jacket-shirt-tie-square combo, one is either (a) a successful fop (unlikely) or (b) an unsuccessful chimichanga (likely.)

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
thinman, that second tie is truly atrocious, I say that with no rancor in my heart, i've always though you were a good poaster.

The Thin Man

Reaction score

DevinKirkland

Reaction score
the top combination is my favorite out of the three although I do like them all, as I am partial to brown and blue paired together. The Gingham with the GlenPlaid plays well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I remember when I was building my little clothing library way back when and I found a copy of Mortimer Levitt's book, I think it was called The Executive Look. He was the founder and owner of the Custom Shop chain. The book came out in the late '70s or early '80s. It's not a bad book though idiosyncratic and dogmatic at times. (I know, pot, kettle.)

Anyway, one of Levitt's iron rules was "two plains and a fancy." That is, among suit, shirt and tie, two should always be solid and only one patterned. I thought at the time that here was really narrow-minded advice guaranteed to make men dress dull, dull, dull. I still think that. And yet, every day this week I have followed the rule. For most of the summer I have. Hell, for most of the last five yaers I probably have. Well, with the exception that I always wear a square and Levitt never does.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics