• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Olympus EP-1?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
I'm still trying to get used to taking pictures using the screen rather than VF, but other than that I find this a great camera if you are willing to pay for it. Otherwise, I say get a cheaper SLR.

What other cam would you recommend MaoMao?

I'm waffling between a DSLR and a good point and shoot. In the end, I think I'm coming down on the side of compact for convenience, as much as I might want to "get into" photography more I don't have the time to focus on chasing after lenses and kits etc. Just need something great for WAYWN, family get togethers, random shots etc.

What I have seen from the Olympus looks great, especially the low-light work.

zubat

Reaction score
I have a 400D.

It's bulky and ugly, so it's usually left at home.

I need to take photo's at night.

I hate flash photography.

I need something that can do ISO 1600 with little noise. I need a fast regular prime.

The EP-1 delivers the former. The latter is on the way from Panasonic, although there are some fast four thirds and manual focus lenses to suit with an adapter.

See here and here.

It ***** all over everything but the Nikon.

aizan

Reaction score
picures of the panasonic gf1 have been leaked. if you don't want an eye-level viewfinder, i'd get that instead of the e-p1, since it will have better autofocus. that's one of the e-p1's primary shortcomings, and one of the strengths of the panasonic g1/gh1.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
picures of the panasonic gf1 have been leaked. if you don't want an eye-level viewfinder, i'd get that instead of the e-p1, since it will have better autofocus. that's one of the e-p1's primary shortcomings, and one of the strengths of the panasonic g1/gh1.

Thnks for the tip- looks very interesting and at least the rumors make it look like it might be a bargain price too.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GF1 looks interesting. I'm guessing they haven't announced a street date for it yet?

zubat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan

I'd also speculate that the GF1 will preform worse at high ISO then the E-P1 unless Panasonic lift their image processor game.

aizan

Reaction score
they already did. the gh1 is noticeably improved over the g1, and virtually identical to the e-p1. that's in raw. in jpeg, the gh1 is better, imo, because it retains detail at the cost of noise, while the e-p1 removes noise at the cost of detail.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
What other cam would you recommend MaoMao?

Olympus E-620, it is pretty much the DSLR version of the EP1. It is still light and small with the pancake lense.

chronoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Obbi
I'm looking at EP-1 too, what does digital PEN means?
Anyone knows?

Pen is the original half frame camera they sold in the 60s. This camera pays tribute to it.

I picked up the have the e-p1.
I added a leatherette skin and it looks amazing. The camera IQ is good (compared to my SLR). In fact, it has better low light at 3.5 (kit lens) versus a f/1.4 prime on my Canon T1i.
I am waiting to put some Leica glass and Voigtlander prime lens on it. From the picts I've seen with Leica glass, the camera is sexy.

Here is my camera next to an OM-1. I may take pictures of it with the leather half case when I have time.

3842421565_bfc1fcb26a.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The sensor in all the m4/3 cams are up to scratch. What needs to be improved is the quality of the pancake lens, which is OK but nothing spectacular, and most importantly ... autofocus. On the E-P1 it is barely acceptable.

chronoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
The sensor in all the m4/3 cams are up to scratch. What needs to be improved is the quality of the pancake lens, which is OK but nothing spectacular, and most importantly ... autofocus. On the E-P1 it is barely acceptable.

Who needs autofocus when you use these completely manual lens (not my picts). Cheapest camera body to take Leica M mount lens, as well as M42, as well as OM lens. I shoot completely manual - arperture, shutter, & focus. Just give me a good metering system.

3778708128_41e4b81444.jpg

3778708258_1d832ee56f.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoguy
Who needs autofocus when you use these completely manual lens (not my picts). Cheapest camera body to take Leica M mount lens, as well as M42, as well as OM lens. I shoot completely manual - arperture, shutter, & focus. Just give me a good metering system.
3778708128_41e4b81444.jpg
3778708258_1d832ee56f.jpg

Manual focus is great with a wider angle lens, but I wouldn't be confident with it on anything over 50mm unless you were going to check focus using the screen. A field of view of 100mm equivalent is not practical. If the 17mm was a proper manual focus lens, then it would be a hell of a lot of fun to use but it's focus by wire with no distance scale. A real shame, really. Maybe Voigtlander will step up and do a manual lens specifically for m4/3. As for metering, with the E-P1 in live-view all the time, you get a whole HISTOGRAM. That's even more effective than a spot meter. It'd be neat if you could change the screen to be only a basic readout of histogram, ISO, ap/sht and WB. That would be a true modern successor to the rangefinder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads