• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ok, how do you divide household labor and does it cause strife?

mabel

Reaction score
Luckily I don't have any problem with household chores, I have someone who will dot hat for us.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We split up chores pretty well. Essentially we both only do the things we don't mind doing.

I handle all of the yard work and DIY projects with basically zero help from my wife. I do the grocery shopping as well as shopping for clothes for the girls. (my wife hates to shop, even for clothes & shoes and she works in the industry). I take out the garbage & recycling and sweep & mop up the kitchen at the end of the night. I also take responsibility for the girls schoolwork and anything involved with church. Starting this fall I am coaching my oldest girls soccer team.

Laundry is split probably 65% my wife 35% me. it used to be 100% me but since the kids have come along the responsibility has shifted

My wife handles 95% of the cooking and 99.9% of our social scheduling. She also coordinates all of the kids childcare and activities - who is taking which girl to which activity etc. As well, she co-ordinates all of the cleaning in the house, whether she is getting the cleaning people to come or she is doing it and/or asking me to help, it is her show.

Essentially, we both do what we are good at...I like to get things done and my wife likes to tell people what to do.

This is not to say that we see eye to eye all the time though :)

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
she shops and does the laundry, I do all the heavy stuff and iron. The cleaning part is done by the maid.. Cooking isnt seen as a chore, and I more or less see it as a way to wind down after a long day.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hmmm, since the Mrs. has been in law school and is now studying for the bar...a lot of it falls to me. cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing, bathing the little one, etc. Sometimes that's my late evening/early morning grind: scrub the kitchen, baby bottles, etc. etc.

Lately I've been getting our son to so some of it (vacuuming) and it's a real bear to get a decent job out of him - he half-asses it and then practically begs to be sent to his room for punishment. Instead, I make him do it over, and over, and over again until I'm happy with the results. And then I punish him. But that's another story.

Normally I detest the idea of hiring anyone to handle that sort of work, and I still do in principle...but the Mrs. hired a yard crew and it is money very well spent. That used to eat up about 4 hours of my weekend - although I still have plenty to deal with outside all the same.

I, however, do not pull weeds. That work I leave for the Mrs, because she enjoys it.

What she also does: all the kids' appointments. Any time a child has to be somewhere, she's on it. There's a lot more to this than I let on.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hmmm, since the Mrs. has been in law school and is now studying for the bar...a lot of it falls to me. cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing, bathing the little one, etc. Sometimes that's my late evening/early morning grind: scrub the kitchen, baby bottles, etc. etc.

Lately I've been getting our son to so some of it (vacuuming) and it's a real bear to get a decent job out of him - he half-asses it and then practically begs to be sent to his room for punishment. Instead, I make him do it over, and over, and over again until I'm happy with the results. And then I punish him. But that's another story.

Normally I detest the idea of hiring anyone to handle that sort of work, and I still do in principle...but the Mrs. hired a yard crew and it is money very well spent. That used to eat up about 4 hours of my weekend - although I still have plenty to deal with outside all the same.

I, however, do not pull weeds. That work I leave for the Mrs, because she enjoys it.

What she also does: all the kids' appointments. Any time a child has to be somewhere, she's on it. There's a lot more to this than I let on.

mrs stitch just hired a cleaning lady to work for 2 hours,1 day a week. holy **** is that the best $35???(i haz no idead what shhe is paid) we spend all week.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I say "*****, make me a sandwich"

and then I go to the grocery store to buy lunch meat because I live alone and my fridge is empty and there is nobody to do my grocery shopping and sandwich making for me

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I say "*****, make me a sandwich"

and then I go to the grocery store to buy lunch meat because I live alone and my fridge is empty and there is nobody to do my grocery shopping and sandwich making for me

:(

tagut sock?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads