• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Firefox

Reaction score
So, as I have posted elsewhere in this thread (and elsewhere on SF), I am getting married in about a month. I decided to wear a stroller and pieced together the various elements over the last 6 months or so. I finally tried everything on all together, and I am pretty pleased with the overall result. I even modelled it for my fiancee, who had been a little wary of the stroller idea, but she admitted that it looked really nice.

My one question is in regards to my tie. I ordered wedding ties from Kent Wang for each of my groomsmen (glen plaid and houndstooth), as well as a black and white shepherd's check tie for myself. The one concern I have is that I think the shepherd check may be a little too "busy" in combination with the striped stroller pants. Something a little more subdued like the glen plaid or houndstooth may have worked better, but I don't want to wear the same tie as my groomsmen. I asked my fiancee what she thought, and said that something in a smaller pattern (or even just a plain grey/silver tie) may work better, but she was happy to leave it up to me.

Here are the tie and the pants I will be wearing:

For comparison's sake, the other key elements are a dark charcoal grey jacket (w/peaked lapels & jetted pockets), white french cuff shirt, white linen pocket square, black shoes. Any thoughts/opinions on the tie? Am I over-thinking / over-worrying things in the leadup to the wedding, or do you agree that a simpler tie may work better?

Last edited:

Firefox

Reaction score
Maybe I need to take another look at it all together...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, as I have posted elsewhere in this thread (and elsewhere on SF), I am getting married in about a month. I decided to wear a stroller and pieced together the various elements over the last 6 months or so. I finally tried everything on all together, and I am pretty pleased with the overall result. I even modelled it for my fiancee, who had been a little wary of the stroller idea, but she admitted that it looked really nice. My one question is in regards to my tie. I ordered wedding ties from Kent Wang for each of my groomsmen (glen plaid and houndstooth), as well as a black and white shepherd's check tie for myself. The one concern I have is that I think the shepherd check may be a little too "busy" in combination with the striped stroller pants. Something a little more subdued like the glen plaid or houndstooth may have worked better, but I don't want to wear the same tie as my groomsmen. I asked my fiancee what she thought, and said that something in a smaller pattern (or even just a plain grey/silver tie) may work better, but she was happy to leave it up to me. Here are the tie and the pants I will be wearing: For comparison's sake, the other key elements are a dark charcoal grey jacket (w/peaked lapels & jetted pockets), white french cuff shirt, white linen pocket square, black shoes. Any thoughts/opinions on the tie? Am I over-thinking / over-worrying things in the leadup to the wedding, or do you agree that a simpler tie may work better?
I'd have to see the whole outfit together to really know. But perhaps a solid silver tie would be a sleek look that would also help you stand out.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are the tie and the pants I will be wearing: For comparison's sake, the other key elements are a dark charcoal grey jacket (w/peaked lapels & jetted pockets), white french cuff shirt, white linen pocket square, black shoes. Any thoughts/opinions on the tie? Am I over-thinking / over-worrying things in the leadup to the wedding, or do you agree that a simpler tie may work better?
Are you not wearing a waistcoat ? It will really complete the look and further separate the tie from the the trousers

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The glittery boutonniere idea is not dying. The bridesmaids LOOOVVVE IT and I guess the bouquets are going to include the glittery baby's breath. There's glitter all over the apartment just from her messing around with it, and I know if we use this for a boutonniere it's going to get all over everyone's suits, shirts, and ties. I think this is a battle I have to fight. :brick:

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sounds ******. Sorry man. Are you going to do a magic show in the middle of your ceremony?

No, but we are planning a flash mob performance of Ziggy Stardust...

I am fine with regular baby's breath boutonnieres. I hope we can make this compromise.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you not wearing a waistcoat ? It will really complete the look and further separate the tie from the the trousers

+1 on the vest. If you wear one, this is a non-issue. Isn't a stroller technically not correct without a vest (unless it's DB)?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, as I have posted elsewhere in this thread (and elsewhere on SF), I am getting married in about a month. I decided to wear a stroller and pieced together the various elements over the last 6 months or so. I finally tried everything on all together, and I am pretty pleased with the overall result. I even modelled it for my fiancee, who had been a little wary of the stroller idea, but she admitted that it looked really nice. My one question is in regards to my tie. I ordered wedding ties from Kent Wang for each of my groomsmen (glen plaid and houndstooth), as well as a black and white shepherd's check tie for myself. The one concern I have is that I think the shepherd check may be a little too "busy" in combination with the striped stroller pants. Something a little more subdued like the glen plaid or houndstooth may have worked better, but I don't want to wear the same tie as my groomsmen. I asked my fiancee what she thought, and said that something in a smaller pattern (or even just a plain grey/silver tie) may work better, but she was happy to leave it up to me. Here are the tie and the pants I will be wearing:
For comparison's sake, the other key elements are a dark charcoal grey jacket (w/peaked lapels & jetted pockets), white french cuff shirt, white linen pocket square, black shoes. Any thoughts/opinions on the tie? Am I over-thinking / over-worrying things in the leadup to the wedding, or do you agree that a simpler tie may work better?
Have you thought about taking the groomsmans glenplaid for yourself and swapping the shep check with him? It's your wedding remember and if you paid for them I doubt he'd have an issue with that. The other one will still look fine but a glen plaid would be a nice match to the trousers.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The glittery boutonniere idea is not dying. The bridesmaids LOOOVVVE IT and I guess the bouquets are going to include the glittery baby's breath. There's glitter all over the apartment just from her messing around with it, and I know if we use this for a boutonniere it's going to get all over everyone's suits, shirts, and ties. I think this is a battle I have to fight. :brick:

That sucks. Sounds like something worth fighting to me. Perhaps ask the bride if she really wants her wedding photos to show a bunch of people with glitter spots all over their clothes.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have heard it said that in planning a wedding, the man should cooperate cheerfully and enthusiastically EXCEPT for one small detail on which he should put down his foot just to have a degree of say in the final outcome.

You've found your detail.

brief chat excerpt with my wife follows...
her: you would not have stood for that i think
me: Nope. Florist would've been all "here, put this on!" and I'd be all "brb" and run outside to grab a flower and stick it through my lapel.
her: obvs i would have then been horrified when i got up the aisle and you were wearing some nonglittery flower
me: whereupon you'd complain to your dad about how I ruined teh wedding and the two of us would promptly get into a fight
her: "HOW DARE YOU FAIL TO GLITTER FOR MY DAUGHTER" etc

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have heard it said that in planning a wedding, the man should cooperate cheerfully and enthusiastically EXCEPT for one small detail on which he should put down his foot just to have a degree of say in the final outcome.

Yeah. There have been a few details I've already fought or am fighting, such as wearing ivory/cream shirts to match her dress instead of white. Showed her a few photos and she got over that. Now it's "I think all the groomsmen should buy the same shirt so the whites all match." We're staring to defeat the point of having the groomsmen wear their own clothes to save money. But I think I will win these battles. I've already made a few concessions.

But really, I make her sound worse than she is. She's not a bridezilla by any means, it's just that I want the men to look like men, not a 1970s singing group.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads