• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Where is good? In our reasoned choices. Where is evil? In our reasoned choices. Where is that which is neither good nor evil? In the things outside our own reasoned choices."

Epictetus, Discorurses 2.16.1.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Begin each day by telling yourself: Today I shall be meeting with interference, ingratitude, insolence, disloyalty, ill-will, and selfishness – all of them due to the offenders’ ignorance of what is good or evil. But for my part I have long perceived the nature of good and its nobility, the nature of evil and its meanness, and also the nature of the culprit himself, who is my brother (not in the physical sense, but as a fellow creature similarly endowed with reason and a share of the divine); therefore none of those things can injure me, for nobody can implicate me in what is degrading. Neither can I be angry with my brother or fall foul of him; for he and I were born to work together, like a man’s two hands, feet or eyelids, or the upper and lower rows of his teeth. To obstruct each other is against Nature’s law – and what is irritation or aversion but a form of obstruction.”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Let us therefore set out wholeheartedly, leaving aside our many distractions and exert ourselves in this single purpose, before we realize too late the swift and unstoppable flight of time and are left behind. As each day arises, welcome it as the very best day of all, and make it your own possession. We must seize what flees."

Seneca, Moral Letters.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Let us produce some bold act of our own - and join the ranks of the most emulated.”

Seneca, Moral Letters.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Let us therefore set out wholeheartedly, leaving aside our many distractions and exert ourselves in this single purpose, before we realize too late the swift and unstoppable flight of time and are left behind. As each day arises, welcome it as the very best day of all, and make it your own possession. We must seize what flees."

Seneca, Moral Letters.

I’m a big fan of “on shortness of life” by Seneca, go to book to recapture perspective on life

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“The greatest peace of mind is doing nothing wrong. Those who lack self-control live disoriented and distorted lives.”

Seneca, Moral Letters.

Edit - lol, homophones.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Kindness is invincible, but only when it’s sincere, with no hypocrisy or faking. For what can even the most malicious person do if you keep showing kindness and, if given the chance, you gently point out where they went wrong - right as they are trying to harm you?”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Don’t set your mind on things you don’t possess as if they were yours, but count your blessings you actually possess and think how much you would desire them if they weren’t already yours. But watch yourself, that you don’t value these things to the point of being troubled if you should lose them.”

- Marcus Aurelius, Meditations.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“If you don’t wish to be a hot head, don’t feed your habit. Try as a first step to remain calm and count the days you haven’t been angry. I used to be angry every day, then every other day, then every third or fourth. If you make it as far as thirty days, thank God! For habit is first weakened then obliterated. When you can say ‘I didn’t lose my temper today, or the next day, or for three or four months, but kept my cool under provocation,’ you will know you are in better health.”

- Epictetus, Discourses.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Show me someone sick and happy, in danger and happy, dying and happy, exiled and happy, disgraced and happy. Show me! By God, how much I’d like to see a Stoic! But since you can’t show me someone so perfectly formed at least show me someone actively forming himself this way... Show me!”

Epictetus, Discourses.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"We will all die alone."

Piobaire, Prognostications of Piobaire.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"We will all die alone."

Piobaire, Prognostications of Piobaire.

05ED9E00-9BF1-43C1-B470-57C29674A9FF.jpeg

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Pay attention to what is in front of you - the principle, the task, or what’s being portrayed.”

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads