• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Skincare questions etc

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the last thread(s) is dead, and I need to count on the collective wisdom of SF ( and I don't feel like logging on skincare forums), here goes:

1. I have a hyper pigmented mark on my left jaw due to itchy fingers popping a pimple. Besides using retinols (I'm using Diacneal) and a sunscreen, what else would be good short of cosmetic surgery?

2. random thought: toners are awesome for oily skin. They also rock as an astringents after shaving. My go-to choice is Kiehls' classic blue herbal lotion. My only gripe is that the price is a bit more than my budget, but the bottle is huge. Currently using body shop tea tree oil toner, decent but not as nice as Kiehls'.

3. Recommend me a weekly mask to minimize pores, clear dead skin etc. Been trying samples but never found something i can count on.

Discuss.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shower once per day unless maybe sweating heavily later in the day.

That does not sound like hyperpigmentation. Has a dermatologist been consulted? If it is that, then hydroquinone could help.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had difficult skin for years and I finally am getting on top of it, at the age of 24. I put this down to:

a) last year going on a course of accutane for 6 months. I was on a relatively low dose, and mitigated the side effects by using moisturiser and putting lip balm on like every 30 mins.

b) Finding a proper shaving routine.
I use a double edged razor. Counterintuitively, I find it's best to use a very aggressive razor with very sharp blades (e.g. feather blades) so that i only have to do one pass, and can still get a close shave going with the grain. Multiple passes and against the grain shaving are a bad idea if you have difficult skin.

The other thing I find is that shaving soaps are better than creams because they provide more slickness and lubrication. Most triple milled English style hard soaps are not good on my skin. The soft Italian style soaps with tallow and glycerine are much better - they provide more slickness and are less harsh. I use Mystic Water (I know, awful name) Sensitive soap which actually took a few goes to learn how to use (trick is to have the brush damp, not soaked), but I also use a Speick shaving stick which you actually cannot screw up and is foolproof.

So yeah, if you have sensitive skin and have trouble shaving, I suggest finding an aggressive double edged razor, sharp blades, a nice soft badger brush, a soft tallow soap, and to ignore the forum fancy of multiple passes and "baby butt smooth" shave.

c) After I finish shaving, I wash off the soap and let my skin airdry, while I'm getting ready for work. I do not rub my face dry with a towel. I then put a very light smear of Nivea sensitive moisturiser on. Moisturiser has really helped my skin, I dunno why i didn't try it before.

Finally, I put a tiny bit of tea tree oil on some cotton wool and lightly brush it onto my face. I have found that this works better than benzoyl peroxide or salicilic acid creams.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a book called How to Wash Your Face. Pat-dry is some of its advice. Whether or not is says to use a soft towel, it's wise to choose that.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very likely post inflammatory [/B]hyperpigmentation[/B]

wizzeak

Reaction score
Any advice for rosacea? In my teens I was a total dirty bum and my hair was giving my forehead a ton of acne which I kept scratching. Now I have this rosacea thing going on and it gets red/irritated easily.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My skin is fine for a few days, weeks, etc. but every now and then a creeper comes and I have this zist forming that eventually becomes red and then eventually pops causing a bit of scarring that I minimize via Neosporine and some BHA 2% (Paula's Choice),

I also have to put on lip balm regularly. I also think I have rosacea, mild, but for example after I wash with my face in the morning and pat dry, sometimes I'll get some irritation / redness around jaw or forehead. I put a bit of the BHA on and the itch eventually goes away. Still a bit red and if you look close enough you'll see a rash / blemish.

I am pretty sure its a combination of diet + lack of sleep and just common dirt / reaction. Taking out dairy completely has drastically helped clear my skin for the most part. Trying really hard with soy as well because it seems that causes a bit of an reaction. It's hard though since most things are made with soy now or some derivative.

This response was prompted by a sudden numbing pump around my unibrow that I noticed today after work :fu: Clear skin one day then the **** rears its ugly head. Surprise!

So hard to live.

Last edited:

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not too up to speed on what the dermatologists/drug companies/marketers are telling everyone, but isn't it just as likely that it's a bit of scar tissue? i.e. nothing is going to fix it but a little bit of ageing?
My friend (who's a model) told me to use whitening cream (probably has niacinamide) for such issues. The scar tissue has been there for over a month now, so yea more than just a little bit of aging.

gettoasty, your BHA rec is great, my skin has no more uneven bumps. Only gripe is that I now for the first time in my life have to use sunscreen, but i suppose its a good thing since it prevents aging. I'm pretty sure i have the same issue as you. Pretty good skin, but with isolated zits once a week and dry lips. I find using a retinol @ night, and blasting the zit with 10% benzoyl peroxide works. I have to resist popping zits by hand, that PIHP is not a good look.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I stopped using sunscreen for 2 years now? Makes my skin feel heavy and I'm so shiny at the end of the day. It actually clogged pores IMO and made my skin not feel comfortable overall. Fwiw I try not to touch my face at all, which I am pretty good about.

The BHA I use both AM and PM again no sunblock. I also have more than 5 visible moles on my face .... T-T

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah I'm concerned about permanent dark spots with bha man. Using neutrogena ultra sheer pure mild which is mattifying and has spf 50...not sure if it will clogs my pores but the lotion is really light. I've been using it for 5 days, no issue. gonna give it a month and see how it goes.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dark spots caused by BHA without SS right? BHA is pretty light and actually minimizes and shine/oil.

I should find a sunblock though

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My friend (who's a model) told me to use whitening cream (probably has niacinamide) for such issues. The scar tissue has been there for over a month now, so yea more than just a little bit of aging.

What I mean is that scar tissue will never disappear. The only thing that will reduce its appearance is your skin ageing. My skin looks fine now because it's been clear for a long time, but if I look closely I can still see the bumps and I don't think they'll ever go away.

The discolouration went away naturally without any special creams etc, but it took a lot longer than a month.

I'm basically not very convinced by creams that claim to "reduce discolouration" when that's a process that happens naturally anyway.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will say I also use to get razor bumps that end up looking bad by proper shaving helped that. Now I shave every other day, still get the occasional razor burn, which means it probably is time to change blades, otherwise pretty good.

Just these damn surprises and reoccuring blemishes.

Discoloration will eventually go away with time. Cannot make expedite the process though perhaps covering up with SS or something would alleviate further darkness.

Been thinking about trying this: http://www.dermablend.com/index.aspx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads