• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lets talk about skin care

Bastion of

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with skin products for about five years now. I thought my experiences may make for useful fodder for the others.

Moisturizers. I live in a fairly warm, sunny climate year round. I like to always have at least two moisturizers on hand, and often a third for travel. My morning moisturizer always has SPF - at least 15, usually 20. I have light skin and this has all but eliminated sun burns for me and keeps my face lightly moist all day. I shower every weekday morning and immediately apply this (after aftershave). I also keep a somewhat more luxurious cream for evening / night use, for example before going out on Saturday night. This doesn't have SPF of course. I always prefer non-scented moisturizers. My price point is $20-$30 for a regular size.

Brands - I have been a loyal fan of Jack Black SPF moisturizer for several years. This was after trying Anthony (also good but would wear off more quickly), Clinique (my 2nd choice after Jack Black, but a little too oily) and Clarins.

For evening moisturizers / gels / creams, I have also experimented with Clarins (poor value for money - runs out quickly), MenScience (not very soothing - would sting slightly), and Kiehls (what I'm currently using). I have yet to find the perfect one, but would probably recommend Kiehls as the best so far for evening use.

Aftershaves. I am only talking of balms / gels, not fragrances. I have tried perfumed balms by Hugo Boss and Burberry and found them a bit too intense. I also don't like being limited to wearing / buying the same cologne and aftershave. I try to go scentless or very mild scent.

Brands - the Anthony aftershave balm is fantastic. Very mild pleasant scent, extremely soft and soothing, lasts forever. Distant second would be the standard Nivea balm. Once again, I did not have a good experience with Clarins - did not provide full relief and dried a little stiff on my neck and jaw.

Facewash. There is a massive array of options out there. I look for a facewash that is mild enough to prevent over-drying but still stimulating and energizing. I have a hard time waking up without a proper face washing. Most good brands can be found between $15-$20 for a good size bottle.

It took a long time for me to find the right facewash.... I have tried many types over the years, beginning in my teens. A few that spring to mind: L'Oreal (energizing face wash) - this is a very solid midrange option that does the job and lasts a long time. The only drawback is it feels a bit chemically and can dry the skin a bit more than I like. MenScience - rather expensive but large bottle, a bit harsh on my skin and not as nourishing as other high end products. Cetaphil - absolutely great budget option. You can get a massive bottle for $10 or a travel-size one for $2. Very light and simple. Anthony (glycolic) - I had high hopes for this one but it didn't feel like it was "penetrating" my skin, ie, I didn't feel as squeaky clean as I wanted to.

The winner is Lab Series multi-action - this stuff is the best. You only need a tiny amount. It quickly forms a rich lather and the mini exfoliating beads make for a very pleasant and cleansing sensation.

Exfoliators / face scrubs. I almost always use a scrub instead of a fashwash before shaving (I shave three days a week usually). I find it very nicely prepares the skin and hair follicles for shaving. I usually apply the scrub as soon as I get in the shower, then do my hair and body, and then come back to my face to rinse off the scrub. Every two weeks or so I treat myself to a scrub in a sauna or steam room, the best possible way to prep for a shave. I have tried many types and believe it is worth spending more on a good scrub - $25-$30 usually.

Brands - here is where I had a good experience with MenScience. The scrub was very sandy (a good thing for me) and tingly on the skin. This made for an invigorating experience and great shave. My second choice would be Clinique, a nice but quickly-consumable scrub. Towards the end, the water seemed to separate out of the scrub in the tube and this had a negative impact on its consistency (either too wet or too dry). Jack Black - I have used this for a long time because I bought too much of it. It's perfectly adequate, reasonably priced and smells nice. But it's a bit too light for me - I like to feel my scrub working deep in my pores.

Shaving creams / gels. I have not explored this realm very deeply. I use a simple brush to lather up. I find the best impact is obtained by using a pre-shave lube. I have never bought a shave lube and simply make my own by mixing equal parts olive oil (just the pomace type, you dont need extra virgin my friend) with castor oil (found in pharmacies), and a few drops of lavender extract for fragrance. Apply this before the lather and it will elevate your shave to a new level. You don't need to buy an expensive beard lube when you can make the exact same thing on your own for a few bucks.

Brands - I currently use Jack Black shaving cream which comes in tub that lasts me about 6-9 months. It is great stuff. Previously, I tried the Anthony cream (dispensed by tube) which was a major disappointment. It had the same pleasant scent as the eponymous aftershave but was difficult to lather and had a tendency to slip off my face. Clinique has a nice shaving gel which feels very soft and smooth - I would recommend this if you prefer using a gel rather than lathering up with a cream. However I remember it didn't last very long. Clarins also had a shaving gel which basically seemed like an expensive version of Gillette. By the way, there is nothing wrong with Gillette.

Other. Kiehl's has a nice eye cream but I just don't use it very often. Eye creams are expensive. Perhaps I'm too young (30). I love Jack Black SPF lip balm (mint flavor). They are $7 well spent and I will never need to try anything else. I have an anti-fatigue Clarins skin gel which I think is good quality, but I don't use it very regularly (1-2x per month). I am not convinced that anyone has a good deodorant. I tried a few high-end ones with no success. I am back to my green Speed Stick, the first deodorant I ever used, and the only one that (almost) works.

I am always slightly surprised to see men that own multiple colognes but no facial skincare products. If you are completely new to this, go to a department store, a Sephora or a duty-free airport shop and buy a nice moisturizer. You will never look back. It will be the same type of epiphany as seeing yourself for the first time in a well-tailored suit (and finally realizing what a good fit feels like) or wearing a luxurious pair of socks.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good list. I spent years trying different products but now I just stick with the Cetaphil line for everything.

heartworm

Reaction score
That post reminded me of the morning routine chapter of American Psycho :D

I use Nancy Boy for everything, except deodorant - I just use a neutral, drug store brand since I prefer one without smell anyways. I find that NB's stuff is high quality, lasts long and is usually not full of toxic crap. Especially the night cream and shampoo are good.

Albien

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience and suggesting brands for skin care. List of some food great for skin and we must add them in our daily meals.
Kiwifruit, carrots, salmon fish, green tea, potatoes, blueberries and avocados.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads