• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sym

Reaction score

And yet, it's a valid (sorta) excuse.  Sending out that type of explanatory email requires infrastructure, unless you have very small volume - essentially, just a guy and a computer and some stuff to sell.  At any type of volume, a workflow has to be created, and personnel assigned.  Not saying that it's not something that shouldn't be done. but having been working with a variety of small verging on mid-sized companies, I've seen how stretched resources are.  Much of the economy is held together with duct tape and bubble gum.

They have enough infrastructure to have their "[own] security team," yet can't inform customers or hold the product? Granted I'm not as familiar with the industry as you, but a little consideration towards customers from any business is greatly appreciated.

Regardless, it sucks but it happens, hopefully they honour the 30% code haha. Only item I really wanted was a pair of Navy cotton and linen MMM trousers, not even the store in Rome had them. Anyone see a 50 for a good price please let me know :satisfied:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oki-Ni canceled my order because they couldn't "verify payment as it did not pass our security team's checks." Yet, they didn't even bother to inform or email me until I inquired about the order a week later. Apparently they "do not currently have the facility to inform our customers of any cancelled or returned orders." Terrible business practice. Now the items are gone.

Their site has been having some issues with payment. As for customer service, I've had some success getting meaurements from them before (on an expensive item). However, ultimately, they're owned by Menlook, which has never struck me as being strong on customer service.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have enough infrastructure to have their "[own] security team," yet can't inform customers or hold the product? Granted I'm not as familiar with the industry as you, but a little consideration towards customers from any business is greatly appreciated.
I will bet you good money that they don't have a "security" team. Maybe they have one dude who works with their credit card processing solution. Also, dealing with security (in terms of dealing with fraud) takes fewer resources, and typically has a higher payoff than CS, which is incredibly labor intensive and requires really good communications between various departments.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but **** happens, regularly, and it's best to take it in stride, particularly if you don't actually lose money.

I told a story of a package that would have NEVER gotten to me because though DHL accepted my duties payment, and had that information circulated internally, the people at the local depot never took off the pink "Owes duties - HOLD" sticker off the pacakge before dispatching it to a third party carrier, who, understandeably, send it back to DHL, every day, for a week. I had to drive for an hour and a half and spend an hour sorting it out. I would have been out of shipping costs back to Italy if I hadn't done so, no fault of my own.

If you want really good customer service, develop a relationship with very specific, small retailers - stores where the proprietor actually answers the phone, pay retail regularly, and you'll also get the heads up on deals, get things held, etc... Not every small retailer is great at CS, but you'll find out soon enough if which one are. It's worth it, for peace of mind alone.

Hype1234

Reaction score
...pay retail regularly...
that's where you lost me

There are some good Veilance deals at Tres Bien. In fact, there are a few good finds there, just nothing I need right now. Does TBS do restocks on stuff from sale that gets returned like with Mr. Porter or can I stop checking back on this sale haha?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's where you lost me

There are some good Veilance deals at Tres Bien. In fact, there are a few good finds there, just nothing I need right now. Does TBS do restocks on stuff from sale that gets returned like with Mr. Porter or can I stop checking back on this sale haha?
That's fair, but for retailers there two high value customers - regular customers who help them sell through at retail, and those they want to make into regular customers. If you are a sales customer only, it's like staying at a motel 6 - the service will probably be decent enough, for the most part, but you can't expect them a great restaurant, or turn down service, or whatever.

I've never seen restocks from TBS.

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that's where you lost me 

Ya gotta do this, though, if you expect them to treat you like an ongoing customer. You can't expect every random net retailer to treat you like royalty when you're only skimming the sales stuff. I'm not passing judgement on anyone who only shops sales, when I was a student I was the same way. Hell, I just bought a pair of shoes at hyper-discount when I shouldn't have.

I'm at the point now though that I prefer my shopping to be a pleasurable experience - I'll avoid stores with poor CS and pay more to buy it from a shop where I have a good relationship with the staff. I don't buy a ton of volume of stuff, so it makes the purchases I do make more meaningful.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya gotta do this, though. You can't expect every random net retailer to treat you like royalty when you're only skimming the sales stuff. I'm not passing judgement on anyone who only shops sales, when I was a student I was the same way. I'm at the point now though that I prefer my shopping to be a pleasurable experience - I'll avoid stores with poor CS and pay more to buy it from a shop where I have a good relationship with the staff. I don't buy a ton of volume of stuff, so it makes the purchases I do make more meaningful.
This. I won't pass judgement either. After all, I was a professional student through a good part of my 20s, and a postdoc living in the heart of Cambridge can't be expected to buy much of anything, at any price.

I also don't buy that much any more, and much of it is custom or customized, so it makes paying retail a much easier proposition, since you are never going to get a custom product at a sale price. I also have a very strict self-imposed budget, and have developed close enough relationships that certain retailers will hold things for me, knowing that I am good for the money, when I say I am good for it, at whatever the current price is.

I love the sales shopping game, but I find that more and more, it's just that, a game in which I actually spend very little money. I've found that my tastes have become more and more specific.

Hype1234

Reaction score
Ya gotta do this, though, if you expect them to treat you like an ongoing customer. You can't expect every random net retailer to treat you like royalty when you're only skimming the sales stuff. I'm not passing judgement on anyone who only shops sales, when I was a student I was the same way. Hell, I just bought a pair of shoes at hyper-discount when I shouldn't have.

I'm at the point now though that I prefer my shopping to be a pleasurable experience - I'll avoid stores with poor CS and pay more to buy it from a shop where I have a good relationship with the staff. I don't buy a ton of volume of stuff, so it makes the purchases I do make more meaningful.

I was really just being mischievous. I've worked enough clothing retail jobs to understand the relationship between customer spending patterns and level of customer service. There is certainly a lot of value in buying something full-pop and not having to wait for additional discounts, etc. Also, if you develop a good rapport this way it can actually lead to insider information on future sales haha.

Also, I might have to get on your custom clothing plan @LA Guy . It's very satisfying buying something like a Louis Vuitton bag that know won't be going on sale at 50% off next week.

Last edited:

johnnykicks

Reaction score
the hillside sale is moving faster than i imagined... some items i was watching sold out in the last hour

I wish their shirts fit me better. I have seen some of the coolest patterns and fabrics from those guys but the fit is prob more what they would consider "Japanese Repro" which is the biggest influence for them. I'm not even sure if I can accurately describe the awkward way this shirt draped when I tried it on but the sleeves were so baggy and the cuffs so wide I could easily slide my fist back through the sleeve without unbuttoning the cuff. To make matters worse the side gussets in combo with the boxy midsection do not work well with my height lol.

Tameiki

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased an item on sale on Tres Bien before its price had been dropped again and managed to get the difference refunded?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads