• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Paul Smith Shoe Thread... all PS shoe questions here

nubirth

Reaction score
Sorry I got these shoes mixed up with a similar style. The price is actually £285 / $560 on US site.

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/us-en/shop/mens/shoes/men-s-navy-and-blue-leather-grand-brogues.html

$560 is closer to £350, not ridiculous but IMO expensive for a rubber soled shoe. If you love them you need to get them!
cole haan makes a similar shoe thats VERY popular among younger people called the lunargrand. the price range retail is from $200 upwards to $280 for special editions at cole haan. im not familiar with cole haan either, but a check on styleforum reveals that the soles are glued with cole haan shoes. i imagine the leather must be better also with paul smith. has to be to for this shoe with a rubber sole, being 2 and half times more expensive than a similar rubber sole cole haan:

http://www.colehaan.com/lunargrand-...00_width=M#cgid=mens_shoes_lunargrand&start=1

cole-haan-2013-spring-summer-lunargrand-wingtip-special-edition-02.jpg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if those PS Grands don't make it to final markdown with a target price of low $300 range. Sales season is starting.

It used to be that you could order online from the UK site for delivery to the US and even with the fairly hefty delivery charge and customs charges, with the VAT savings you'd still come out ahead by $50 or so per pair. It appears they don't offer that option anymore. You could try to find a UK retailer that ships to the US via Royal Mail/Parcel Force and takes off VAT.

Those Cole Haans are pretty horrific and look like a pair of wingtips crossed with a Nike sole.
At least the Grands with a plain sole have a bit of the Doc Marten rubber sole vibe to them.
The Grands are also glued construction.

I bought a pair several years ago for around $320. They're pretty comfortable.They run big.

nubirth

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if those PS Grands don't make it to final markdown with a target price of low $300 range. Sales season is starting.

It used to be that you could order online from the UK site for delivery to the US and even with the fairly hefty delivery charge and customs charges, with the VAT savings you'd still come out ahead by $50 or so per pair. It appears they don't offer that option anymore. You could try to find a UK retailer that ships to the US via Royal Mail/Parcel Force and takes off VAT.

Those Cole Haans are pretty horrific and look like a pair of wingtips crossed with a Nike sole.
At least the Grands with a plain sole have a bit of the Doc Marten rubber sole vibe to them.
The Grands are also glued construction.

I bought a pair several years ago for around $320. They're pretty comfortable.They run big.
they ARE nike soles. nike owns cole haan now............

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cole haan makes a similar shoe thats VERY popular among younger people called the lunargrand. the price range retail is from $200 upwards to $280 for special editions at cole haan. im not familiar with cole haan either, but a check on styleforum reveals that the soles are glued with cole haan shoes. i imagine the leather must be better also with paul smith. has to be to for this shoe with a rubber sole, being 2 and half times more expensive than a similar rubber sole cole haan:

http://www.colehaan.com/lunargrand-...00_width=M#cgid=mens_shoes_lunargrand&start=1

cole-haan-2013-spring-summer-lunargrand-wingtip-special-edition-02.jpg

nubirth: I think you are paying a lot for the designer brand name when you buy Paul Smith. Don't get me wrong Paul Smith is by no means the most expensive designer shoe brand out there, in fact I would say the pricing is reasonable, but the idea that the quality must X times better because it's Paul Smith doesn't really justify the difference in price. I like Paul Smith, not as much as I used to, it's a fashion brand made to a good standard - but not the highest, for that you have to go up a notch.

PattyC

Reaction score

got them for a bit cheaper on a different website, this color is "Taupe" while the Ssense ones are apparently "Tan". Liking these a bit more though

Last edited:

nubirth

Reaction score
nubirth: I think you are paying a lot for the designer brand name when you buy Paul Smith. Don't get me wrong Paul Smith is by no means the most expensive designer shoe brand out there, in fact I would say the pricing is reasonable, but the idea that the quality must X times better because it's Paul Smith doesn't really justify the difference in price. I like Paul Smith, not as much as I used to, it's a fashion brand made to a good standard - but not the highest, for that you have to go up a notch.
good post. i know nothing about the paul smith brand. thanx for the information.............

Mailand

Reaction score
Is this the right place for a WTB post? I am looking for a pair of Paul Smith Cage shoes off-white, new or in very good condition. I bought a pair back in 2009 and they remained my favorite pair ever since. They are still in very good condition, but I would like to find a second pair. I've been lurking on different sites and Ebay for almost two years now and couldn't find a single pair in UK 11, so if you could point me to the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Here's the pic from the member jung, I hope it's ok to use it here.

Thanks, I apologize if this is not the right place for this or if already asked in previous pages.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mailand, whereabouts are you?

If you can't find them on eBay then your best bet is trying the Sale Stores. Do you have the product code?

Mailand

Reaction score
I'm in Dubai at the moment, but it really doesn't matter as I have the option of shipping them anywhere in USA,UK or EU (or here). This is the code that I have - S7XC-A102-WSH, the color should be 'off-white'. I've tried sales, online stores, Ebay (worldwide), different local (mainly UK and US) advertisement websites, with no success.

I was sure they were going to appear on Ebay eventually, but unfortunately that did not happen. I'm still in no hurry to get them, but I am starting to think that I won't be able to source out a pair like this or anything similar anytime soon...

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very diffiuclt to order end of season stock from the Paul Smith Sale stores. They don't have the same stock control as the Mainline retail stores. It's still worth contacting customer services through the Paul Smith website to see if they can help; especially if you have the code.

I am fairly sure I have seen those Cage's in off-white at the Warehouse Sale, a few years ago. But they have stopped having Warehouse Sales in London.

Mailand

Reaction score
I'll try contacting them, not very optimistic, but let's see. In the meantime, maybe a pair appears from some dead stock somewhere...

Mailand

Reaction score
We'll see, I received delivery confirmation for my inquiry, so hopefully I'll hear from them this week. It would be great if they still have them somewhere, thanks for the suggestion!
fing02[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics