1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hope so! Seems like it takes him longer to edit than to actually pound out the stuff. At least that's the impression I get watching interviews.

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Three of the six released teaser chapters or summaries of chapters he's read at various cons were originally included in ADwD and were taken out for space constraints and to leave the Mereen story as a cliffhanger. I think the two involving Dorne and the one in the North were completely new. I'm not sure though. It's a very slow process due to so many overlapping storylines.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I hope you're right. But my understanding (arrived at by the completely reliable method of reading random stuff on the internet) is that a large part of the reason the prior two books so long was his difficulty in corralling and editing the material, not writer's block. Plus
    1. He was laughably unreliable in his progress reports on the previous books, so I'm not sure relying on what he says now in interviews is warranted.
    2. During the long delay in producing the last two books, he became so resentful and defensive in response to fan pressure that there was a standing rule that he would walk out of talks/readings/etc. if people asked him about it. I'm sure the popularity of the tv series has made him more of a rock star and thereby increased the fan pressure. Whether that pressure makes him more productive or less is an open question.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

he better have at least crude manuscripts locked away just in case. or i will get the red priestess to bring him back just so i can kill him.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

but make him finish the book first

6. in stitches

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Apparently he has told the showmakers how it all ends, so worst case, we'll be able to put it together from that.

8. in stitches

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No, really, do not read this.
    Does anyone not think Melisandre tries to burn Jon, she can't burn him because he's actually blood of the Dragon, he comes back to life, wakens some dragons, saves the world, meets up with Dany, and they marry and end up ruling? Of course they will die horrible deaths, as will their kids, and their kids' kids, etc. as that's who GRRM rolls.

10. in stitches

sounds reasonable enough.

11. scurvyfreedman

No really, only book readers should enter this absurd discussion
    She says she needs King's blood to wake the Dragon from the stone. That's why she wanted to burn Edric Storm. In the show- Gendry next week. She'll resort to only leeching him and burning the leeches naming Robb Stark, Balon Greyjoy, and Joffrey Baratheon as she throws them into the flames. Funny how that works.

That said, she may have the prophecy wrong. She thinks burning someone with King's blood will wake an actual dragon on Dragonstone. But, she could have it right and just applying it wrong. In attempting to burn Jon Snow's corpse (frozen like stone) she wakes the dragon (Targaryen) inside of him (R+L=J).

Or, she could have missed the true action- Danaerys burning Khal Drogo (King's blood) woke the dragons from the stone (petrified eggs).

Both hold up to scrutiny, Dany especially, because it's already played out. That would make her Azor Ahai reborn and the Prince(ss) that was Promised. See Maester Aemon's sex neutral nouns in Valaryen discussion with Samwell.

When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt. Dany was born under a red comet like the one in the end of AGoT and beginning of ACoK. She was born on Dragonstone (island- smoke and salt).

I like the Jon theory only because I think all of the hinting about R+L=J must mean something. They can't all be red herrings leading us down a rabbit hole.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Looking forward to when the conditions are met for Dany to be able to get with child again. It's referenced in her interior monologue too much for it not to have significance.

Also, I think George has several thoughts of how to end all this so he's just tossing about several different paths to getting there and will decided later how to do this.

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Is Necromancy Kosher?

14. in stitches

15. scurvyfreedman

Producer says only Seven seasons for GoT, although not one of the two Exec Producers:

http://io9.com/game-of-thrones-will-end-with-season-7-according-to-pr-508275905

my theory:
    They're going to completely cut out Dorne. It will be confusing if Arienne becomes a major character later,but WTH. Maybe they will keep the Red Viper as part of Tyrion's story. But Doran, the Myrcella plot, that's all gone. And, the Iron Islands are gone too. AFfC is essentially gone except Arya and Samwell/Maester Aemon story. Instead of 2 seasons, those two books are going to be one season. And, then they'll be ahead of GRRM before we know it, making mockeries of the characters.

16. chogall

chogall Senior member

If its profitable enough, and it will most likely be, I do see it go beyond 7 seasons.

17. in stitches

18. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

True. But they could pretty easily cut lots of stuff to get it down to 7 seasons.

Pretty much all the Dorne stuff, all the Iron Islands stuff, a good chunk of Cersei's chapters, a good chunk of Dany's chapters... Add in the fact that theyll probably start some of book 4/5 next season and that gives them basically 1.25 seasons to do 4/5, which I think is pretty doable given the amount of fluff there.

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

There are some book storylines that suck and don't need to be in the show, I agree. The books themselves get very tedious at times. There was one of them (don't remember which one now) where I put it down after going through the whole thing and said to myself, none of that was really necessary or interesting

20. in stitches

sounds like the harry potter 5th book. though imo the 5th movie was the best.