• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most satisfying 10 minutes of video of all time.
Oh yeah, Jon is, IMO, clearly becoming the focus of this story. R+L = J. Fire and Ice. No way it's not that. Honestly, makes you wonder what role Daenerys will have. Hell, maybe they get married, even though they are first cousins. Wouldn't be the first time Targaryens have wed... Now, only question is how he comes back to life. My money is on Melisandre seeing the errors of her ways and going all Thoros of Myr on him.

I think Theon/Reek has more redemption coming. I mean, that was nice and all, but he can't have survived all of that just to save Jeyne Poole.

I can't quite recall, but something about the letter that Ramsay sends to the Wall regarding Stannis was false IIRC, making me think that the whole thing about him being captured was bogus. Agreed that I hope Mance made it, he was a pretty cool character.

Excited to see what happens with Jaime too, he has turned into one of the most interesting characters in the books.

Again, kind of fuzzy on the details, but I seem to remember that we don't know for sure that Jon is dead. Just that he got stabbed up pretty good.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Again, kind of fuzzy on the details, but I seem to remember that we don't know for sure that Jon is dead. Just that he got stabbed up pretty good.

He got stabbed at least a half-dozen times (and not like in the arm or something), probably twice that, and fades to black. My reading of it was definitely that he was dead.

I suppose he could just be badly wounded, but honestly, I feel like that would be more of a copout than him being resurrected. I'd be disappointed in that.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He got stabbed at least a half-dozen times (and not like in the arm or something), probably twice that, and fades to black. My reading of it was definitely that he was dead.

I suppose he could just be badly wounded, but honestly, I feel like that would be more of a copout than him being resurrected. I'd be disappointed in that.

I thought the common reasoning is that he is dead, he'll be resurrected, but instead of being some tool of the red god, he'll be in his wolf's body (since he's warg), and thus his soul wont be tainted

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought the common reasoning is that he is dead, he'll be resurrected, but instead of being some tool of the red god, he'll be in his wolf's body (since he's warg), and thus his soul wont be tainted

Like physically in the wolf's body... That would be... Interesting. Frankly, that would surprise me, I think he has a huge role to play, and it would be pretty hard to reunite the seven kingdoms and defeat the others in the body of a wolf.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not that I care too much as I've read the books, but there is a book thread designed to discuss anything about to happen. This is supposed to show specific.

lefty

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the delightful Vargo Hoat.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not that I care too much as I've read the books, but there is a book thread designed to discuss anything about to happen. This is supposed to show specific.

lefty

The problem is, that only three people here have actually read the book. Thus preventing that thread to become interesting.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Arya reminds me of my daughter and I want so much good for her that it's almost painful to read her chapters because she goes through so much. I think there is no way she forgets that she's a Stark. I do think the endgame of the story is Jon Snow, who has been speculated to be the love child of Rhaegar Taergaryen and Lyanna Stark, being the new king and Arya has such an important connection to him that there is no way she's not involved in his struggle. I think the tragedy for her will be having to leave behind the Faceless Men, who have become a surrogate family for her as her blood family was torn apart. I also hold out hope that Syrio, who we never actually saw die in the book or the show, will turn up somewhere before the end.

Also, hasn't Theon already had a redemption in helping to save the girl pretending to be Arya (or something like that. My memory is a bit muddled on this point). I am guessing Theon is dead now but there's no way to be sure.

The big mystery for me is whether Ramsay actually caught and killedMance and his women. Some of the samples already released spoiled the fact that Stannis is still around (not a huge surprise) but I hope that Mance made it. I had really warmed up to that guy.

Remember that the timing of chapters is not always linear. The pink letter to Jon at the end of ADwD may not be before the teaser Stannis chapter from WoW in which both Theon and Stannis are alive. Although that teaser chapter is awesome on so many levels - Bran and the Karstark pieces just being two of them; also what I believe to be the reveal of who the Hooded Man of Winterfell is. Only one person calls Theon Kinslayer besides the Hooded Man, and it's in this Stannis chapter.

Regarding Arya- I think the fact that she's kept Needle, is warging and not telling the Kindly Man how she knows he's been hitting her on the back of her legs when she was the little Blind Girl, etc. means that she's running a game on them to some extent. Her connection with Nymeria is too strong for her to give up her heritage. I have a theory- pretty thorough, that she will turn out to be the Valonquar who kills Cersei. I know everyone thinks it has to be Jaime or Tyrion b/c Valonquar means Little Brother, but I think there is foreshadowing throughout for it to be Arya. Valonquar means little sibling, not little brother. Maester Aemon explains that nouns are sexless in Old Valaryan - the Prince Who was Promised could be a Princess. Arya is called Little Sis by Jon Snow and she thinks of herself as such repeatedly. The Faceless Men have already taught her to use the strangler to kill. It won't be an actual strangulation, but the poison that gets Cersei. I don't know if it will be Arya acting on behalf of a contract killing Cersei (she knows her and they wouldn't have her kill someone she knows), but she could break away to do so. Or, it could be a mission to KL and she takes her opportunity to do it.

Arya is my favorite character. She's the Count of Monte Cristo. She will get her revenge and let them know she's gotten it.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I might re read some of these books in advance of the new season. Might just skip to Storm of Swords though. Definitely the best book of the series.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Name an animal, any animal, and within five seconds I will control it, just using the powers of my brain. In a battle situation, let's say, if I had to control a deadly frog I could, and use its poison to kill a man in a day or so. Or longer. Different frogs, different times,"

(wish I could take credit for that. Sean O'Neal from the AVclub wrote it)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I might re read some of these books in advance of the new season. Might just skip to Storm of Swords though. Definitely the best book of the series.

I'm rereading A Storm of Swords right now and it is just as awesome as it was the first time I read it :slayer:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Remember that the timing of chapters is not always linear. The pink letter to Jon at the end of ADwD may not be before the teaser Stannis chapter from WoW in which both Theon and Stannis are alive. Although that teaser chapter is awesome on so many levels - Bran and the Karstark pieces just being two of them; also what I believe to be the reveal of who the Hooded Man of Winterfell is. Only one person calls Theon Kinslayer besides the Hooded Man, and it's in this Stannis chapter.

Regarding Arya- I think the fact that she's kept Needle, is warging and not telling the Kindly Man how she knows he's been hitting her on the back of her legs when she was the little Blind Girl, etc. means that she's running a game on them to some extent. Her connection with Nymeria is too strong for her to give up her heritage. I have a theory- pretty thorough, that she will turn out to be the Valonquar who kills Cersei. I know everyone thinks it has to be Jaime or Tyrion b/c Valonquar means Little Brother, but I think there is foreshadowing throughout for it to be Arya. Valonquar means little sibling, not little brother. Maester Aemon explains that nouns are sexless in Old Valaryan - the Prince Who was Promised could be a Princess. Arya is called Little Sis by Jon Snow and she thinks of herself as such repeatedly. The Faceless Men have already taught her to use the strangler to kill. It won't be an actual strangulation, but the poison that gets Cersei. I don't know if it will be Arya acting on behalf of a contract killing Cersei (she knows her and they wouldn't have her kill someone she knows), but she could break away to do so. Or, it could be a mission to KL and she takes her opportunity to do it.

Arya is my favorite character. She's the Count of Monte Cristo. She will get her revenge and let them know she's gotten it.

This is quite a good point. I'm really excited to see where this story goes and how all these storylines tie back together.

Think we have anymore big deaths coming?

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
apparently the producer wants a total 8 seasons of GoT!

http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-final-season-3-8/

MJ: I gather that Game of Thrones could last eight or nine seasons. Does that mean putting novel writing on hold for a decade?

B&W: Yes, if we live that long and HBO keeps wanting to make the show. We have the opportunity here to tell a coherent story that lasts for 80 hours. And while a canvas of that size presents all sorts of storytelling problems, it also allows us to spend more time with these characters we love than we’ll ever get again. Every once in a while we get five minutes to think about thinking about novels. But mostly we’re just happy when we get to read one now and again.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One can only hope... I'll be crushed if HBO yanks funding for this show. Not that that's likely to happen anytime soon, but you never know what might happen a couple of years from now.

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without spoiling too much, there are storylines which come season 5ish could get seriously tedious, but I'm having trouble seeing the show actually losing massive numbers of viewers and dvd-sales unless they screw up completely. Without a drop in those, funding won't cease, and the only real threat I can see is one of the actors choosing to leave a la Gandolfini. Imagine the show without Dinklage for example (hint; you can't).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads