• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Fountain Pen Aficionados Thread

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the general consensus on S.T. Dupont? I met their rep at the menswear show last month and he has been trying to get me to open an account. I suppose it makes sense that selling custom clothing puts you generally in the same clientele pool with expensive pens, lighters, and other accessories. That said, they are expensive even at wholesale and I dont have a ton of experience with the brand, though I am fairly familiar with their cigar stuff.

Just curious what the group think is in here. I'll be looking for the same feedback from the Cigar thread.

I like the lighters, not the pens so much. The pens are often very lovely, but as @heldentenor points out above, I've never felt the need to go through w/ a purchase after picking one up.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the lighters, not the pens so much. The pens are often very lovely, but as @heldentenor points out above, I've never felt the need to go through w/ a purchase after picking one up.
This is helpful feedback from both you and @heldentenor . As I mentioned in the cigar thread, I will likely open the account to pick up a lighter and things for freinds/ family. Not sure its a long term relationship, especially in my market, but wholesale is always better than retail.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is helpful feedback from both you and @heldentenor . As I mentioned in the cigar thread, I will likely open the account to pick up a lighter and things for freinds/ family. Not sure its a long term relationship, especially in my market, but wholesale is always better than retail.
I've often regretted that I quit smoking before I could afford such things as ST Dupont and/or Dunhill lighters.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've often regretted that I quit smoking before I could afford such things as ST Dupont and/or Dunhill lighters.
Just cigars for me these days.

I find it helpful to remember the context of the rest of my life when I was a cigarette smoker any time I have nostalgia for those days. Anything nice during those days would've been lost, stolen or ruined before I had the chance to get any value out of them.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just cigars for me these days.

I find it helpful to remember the context of the rest of my life when I was a cigarette smoker any time I have nostalgia for those days. Anything nice during those days would've been lost, stolen or ruined before I had the chance to get any value out of them.
Not wrong.
I still kind of miss them (in a wistful for youth way). Plus they still smell great to me.

On the flip side, 9-10 years of 1-1.5 Packs of Dunhills a day .... had that $ been invested...woof.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not wrong.
I still kind of miss them (in a wistful for youth way). Plus they still smell great to me.

On the flip side, 9-10 years of 1-1.5 Packs of Dunhills a day .... had that $ been invested...woof.
Preach!!!

On the other hand, we both were likely smokers when cigarettes were $2-$5 a pack (adjusted for CA prices, obviously). I saw cigarettes the other day for $10 a pack in my flyover town and couldnt believe it.

Also, while I like the smell of someone smoking a cigarette walking past me in a park or outside a bar, I was just in Vegas with some smokers and it was awful. Dont get me started on getting on an elevator with someone who was just out smoking in the winter...

You should get in the cigar game. Cubans in particular are an excellent place to waste money in addition to your clothing, pens and home decor habits :)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preach!!!

On the other hand, we both were likely smokers when cigarettes were $2-$5 a pack (adjusted for CA prices, obviously). I saw cigarettes the other day for $10 a pack in my flyover town and couldnt believe it.

Also, while I like the smell of someone smoking a cigarette walking past me in a park or outside a bar, I was just in Vegas with some smokers and it was awful. Dont get me started on getting on an elevator with someone who was just out smoking in the winter...

You should get in the cigar game. Cubans in particular are an excellent place to waste money in addition to your clothing, pens and home decor habits :)

Ya, when I stopped smoking, Dunhills were about $7 a pack, including CA taxes. Now they are way above $10.

Agree, the smell of a cigarette outside is great. Old smoke, or lots of smoke indoors is terrible.

I do like cigars but my wife hates them. I also have .... so many bad habits.

I'm running a light watch game that might get worse. FP's have gotten bad. Sauternes and bordeaux and port and pinot hoarding. Japanese ceramics. Glassware. Copperware.

I have a three year old. I need to make better choices.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, when I stopped smoking, Dunhills were about $7 a pack, including CA taxes. Now they are way above $10.

Agree, the smell of a cigarette outside is great. Old smoke, or lots of smoke indoors is terrible.

I do like cigars but my wife hates them. I also have .... so many bad habits.

I'm running a light watch game that might get worse. FP's have gotten bad. Sauternes and bordeaux and port and pinot hoarding. Japanese ceramics. Glassware. Copperware.

I just got back from Disneyland, so from experience I can tell you the 3 year old will end up being the worst money sink of all those decisions...

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Disneyland, so from experience I can tell you the 3 year old will end up being the worst money sink of all those decisions...
I have an intense and lasting loathing for Disneyland.
We just went to Tokyo Disney last month. We were on way to Taipei to visit wife's grandparents and did a Japan leg.
Tokyo Disney was like $56 per adult. Daughter was free. We spent less than $80 at park on the day.
It was till of course miserable. And the creme brulee churro line was 45 minutes. I did not get one and was displeased.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an intense and lasting loathing for Disneyland.
We just went to Tokyo Disney last month. We were on way to Taipei to visit wife's grandparents and did a Japan leg.
Tokyo Disney was like $56 per adult. Daughter was free. We spent less than $80 at park on the day.
It was till of course miserable. And the creme brulee churro line was 45 minutes. I did not get one and was displeased.
Adult Disney is apparently a well-known spot for the non-monogamous crowd.

Rickr

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the lighters, but the fountain pens at least are in the same category as modern Waterman/Parker: nice as jewelry, but utterly wrong as writers in every respect (nibs, weight, balance, filling system). On the other hand, they might make sense as a signature pen for someone who doesn't want to be bothered with the sometimes cranky aspects of fountain pens that make them great/unique.

I'll second this - the pens are fashion accessories at best. Buy one if you like the way it looks in your pocket, but let it stay there.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score

A couple of ways to look at this. Fifteen years from now all the expensive childhood toys you might buy will be gone with the wind. The Japanese ceramics and FP's, in contrast, can be yours forever.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depending on which part of the world you live in, where I'm at it's too cold to smoke outside half the year and they've banned all cigar lounges.

Gf hates smokes so the only time I get to light one is when I'm on a business trip but I only fly with carry-on so no point to own a St. Dupont lighter, as nice as they are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads