• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Fountain Pen Aficionados Thread

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some stores will allow you to buy things only in person, usually the really limited stuff, but others will let you mail order it. The Bungubox 823 is an example of the latter: they opened up reservations online worldwide, and it sold out in less than 2 minutes. Bungubox also have other limited editions where they'll only sell to you in person. The Maruzen Custom Urushis are also in-person, I believe, but you have to be on a special mailing list to even preorder that, and the preorders sell out so usually no one in the general public can get one.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally scratched my Lamy 2000 itch: EF nib with Noodler's Blue-Black on a Hobonichi 5-year Techo journal in A5 size.

20230416-6233-1500pix.jpg

Hellbent

Reaction score
I would recommend De Atramentis if you would like some water resistant permanent inks that does not clog your pen.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one asked, but I've neen writing with Oxblood ink by Diamine. Heavily recommend.
OK, I’ll play. I often have 4-5 FP’s inked. Lately though, 90% + of my FP writing has been with two inks: Iroshizuku take-sumi (black) in a Parker Vacumatic, and Iroshizuku asa-gao (blue) in a Pelikan 140.

Iroshizuku has idiosyncratic, wabi-sabi, very Japanese, takes on standard colors.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I’ll play. I often have 4-5 FP’s inked. Lately though, 90% + of my FP writing has been with two inks: Iroshizuku take-sumi (black) in a Parker Vacumatic, and Iroshizuku asa-gao (blue) in a Pelikan 140.

Iroshizuku has idiosyncratic, wabi-sabi, very Japanese, takes on standard colors.
My current rotation is:
Namiki Chinkin loaded w/ Namiki's base black ink
Platinum 3776 loaded w/ Iroshizuku Kon-Peki
Namiki Nippon Art loaded w/ Diamine Oxblood
Pilot Maki-e Mt. Fuji with Iroshizuku Momiji
Pineider Avatar TTT loaded w/ Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku

barutanseijin

Reaction score

With varying success, Iroshizuku approximates colors from the Japanese natural and human environment. Some, like Asa gao (morning glory) are close to what they mimic. Others, like momiji (Fall Leaves) are further. Some are garish, some are muted.

Alkaline inks are risky for vintage celluloid & latex. Favoring vintage pens as i do, i usually avoid Iroshizuku inks. However, once in a while i’ll load a modern 149 or a Sheaffer Targa with Shin kai.

At any rate, i have a MB 642G, Parker 61 Surf Green, a
King of Pen and a Lamy Al-Star all inked with Herbin Violette pensée. I’m not sure how much i like violette pensée but it’s been the easiest bottle to grab off my desk so everything is getting inked with it. At least it’s versatile enough to handle a variety of tasks.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current rotation:

Pilot 823 Amber Fine with Noodler's Blue-black
Pilot 823 Smoke Broad with Herbin Shogun
MB 146 Fine with Iroshizuku Shin-kai (which is also leaking #@$%!)
Sailor Pro Gear Large Imperial Fine with Shin-kai
Pilot Custom Urushi Medium with Noodler's Blue-black
Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's Blue-black

I'm trying to find a nice blue-black: the Noodler's is a little too green and very wet, and the Shin-kai a little too blue and light. Also I finally kopped a bottle of Herbin Emerald of Chivor yesterday from a local B&M.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1733.jpeg

My small rotation.

1). Pelikan M400 fine nib from 2003. Graduation gift and my first “serious” fountain pen. Iroshizuku shin-kai.

2). Pelikan M400 extra fine from 2017, modified for Spencerian copperplate by Michael Masuyama.
Iroshizuku tsukushi.

3). Pelikan M400 tortoise, 1988-1990 . Somewhat rare 18kt “en” stamped extra fine nib made for the French market and more often found on early M600s. Iroshizuku yama-guri.

4). Pelikan M400 tortoise, 1992. Fine nib in the more usual 14kt and an outstanding all-purpose writer. Pelikan Edelstein onyx.

5). Pelikan M800, 1987. This is from the first year the M800 was ever made. 18kt fine nib. Iroshizuku shin-ryoku.

6). Montblanc 146, 1980s. 18kt fine nib. Iroshizuku take-sumi.

7). Omas Paragon, early 2000s. 18kt cursive italic nib ground by Dan Smith. Iroshizuku syo-ro.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a nice blue-black: the Noodler's is a little too green and very wet, and the Shin-kai a little too blue and light.

Blue black is my favorite ink color. My preferred blue blacks are:

MB BB (the discontinued iron gall stuff. I still have a stash).

Parker BB from long ago, like 1960. More recent vintages are too green for my tastes.

R & K Salix

Callifolio Baikal.

You’d probably have to go to eBay for the first two. Salix is iron gall, Baikal isn’t.

As for other blue blacks, Pelikan BB is OK. So is Sailor. Pilot BB lacks black; it’s merely deep blue. Waterman BB is too green for me.

Marshdrifter

Reaction score
Blue black is my favorite ink color. My preferred blue blacks are:

MB BB (the discontinued iron gall stuff. I still have a stash).

Parker BB from long ago, like 1960. More recent vintages are too green for my tastes.

R & K Salix

Callifolio Baikal.

You’d probably have to go to eBay for the first two. Salix is iron gall, Baikal isn’t.

As for other blue blacks, Pelikan BB is OK. So is Sailor. Pilot BB lacks black; it’s merely deep blue. Waterman BB is too green for me.
Some of my favorites are:

Sailor Souboku, for when permanence is necessary.

Montblanc Midnight Blue (not the iron gall one).
Diamine Blue Black (sticks in my head as the baseline color for blue black).
P.W. Akkerman x Gourmet Pens Business in the Front, Party in the Back (very dark until you get it wet and the party comes out).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads