• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a pair of Tricker's Keswicks in UK size 7.5 6 fit ( their wide fit). I am being cautious about evaluating if they fit correctly while I'm still in the eligible return period.

Stepping into them the left foot feels good. However the right foot feels tight at the toes, I can feel my pinky toe pressing against the wall. The ball of my right foot appears to be in the correct position and the lacing still has a small gap. This is medium weight socks. With light socks the pressure is less, but I can still feel my toe against the wall. This is with standing, full weight on the feet. Unfortunately I can't really walk much with them without risking creases.

It's also a very structured shoe, I can feel that there is room for me to wiggle my toes up before they tough the vamp above, maybe as they break in this will translate into further width?

I am wondering if you think that the pinky toe pressure will be relieved after breaking the shoes in. I previously had a pair of Bourtons in 7.5 5 fit (standard width) and had to sell them as they were too narrow for my right foot. However this pair is the wide size.

I have attached a few photos pointing out the placement of the ball of my right foot as well as where my pinky toe is being pressed into the side wall. The shoe is very structured, maybe as they break in and soften up it'll be relieved.

Thoughts? Many thanks
If they don’t feel okay now you’re not going to wear them enough to find out if they break in. Return them.

djsehvun

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I think returning them is for the best too. I will try exchanging them for a UK size 8, and if those don't work out then I'll just have to accept that the last isn't for me.

alexst

Reaction score
So I teinted my acorn bourtons and this is the result. I went with a medium brown shade, but they ended up kind of burgundy. I like the color very much. Acorn were nice too but I was afraid to stain them with my motorbike. I do not recommand this to the faint hearted, it's not easy to apply, and at some point the shade was pink and I had an "OMG what have I done" moment.

Attachments

• 20230317_101722.jpg
    20230317_101722.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230317_101726.jpg
    20230317_101726.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230316_184203.jpg
    20230316_184203.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

alexst

Reaction score
I also received some cafe repello suede bourtons which are very nice and easy to wear. There is no mid sole, so it's a lot easier to break them.
Last year I had no tricker's and my weekly rotation is now tricker's only and I have 3 pairs. It's a bit addictive. I already have my eyes on another pair.

Attachments

• 20230316_121505.jpg
    20230316_121505.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230316_122001.jpg
    20230316_122001.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 83

Fenners81

Reaction score
So I teinted my acorn bourtons and this is the result. I went with a medium brown shade, but they ended up kind of burgundy. I like the color very much. Acorn were nice too but I was afraid to stain them with my motorbike. I do not recommand this to the faint hearted, it's not easy to apply, and at some point the shade was pink and I had an "OMG what have I done" moment.
Not a big acorn fan so I fully endorse this decision. Good job.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
What the heck Trickers! Keep teasing us with pictures of the long wing boots but don't release them. :rolleyes:
View attachment 1920699
Haha. Good point. I thought the exact same this afternoon after seeing the photo. The suede richards have been released for purchase online, but not the suede Longwing boots. Its possible they've decided to run the longwing boots as in-store purchase items only.

Fenners81

Reaction score
So I finally got my stows in espresso calf and am very excited to start the break in process. As I mentioned previously i took a risk and bought them from Cettire. I got a perfect pair of boots delivered in 3 days so can't complain about my experience with them. I haven't included posed pics as a) I'm in Dubai currently and not sure how the shorts and stows look will be received, and b) I'm sure you've seen enough photos of plain brown stows to not get excited about them.

I typically just use the neutral Saphir renovateur on my shoes but I know Trickers recommended a brown shoe cream to accentuate the burnishing. Any recommendations? I don't really like the shiny look so a silk or matt finish is preferable to me.

Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
I typically just use the neutral Saphir renovateur on my shoes but I know Trickers recommended a brown shoe cream to accentuate the burnishing. Any recommendations? I don't really like the shiny look so a silk or matt finish is preferable to me.

Any cream or polish which is not wax (but can have some) will do. Pure wax doesn't nourish the leather and builds a layer, that shines the more of them you build with polishing in between.
A bit of wax in cream is for the major part used for shine and also for protection see layers.

I like 'Burgol Premium Schuhpomade' and you can see a before-and-after with my Espresso Burfords here: #23,606
When the jar is used up, I probably try Boot Black cream, just for fun and out of curiosity.

Here you can see a side by side of my Acorn Bourtons, one treated with 'Collonil Crème de Luxe Natural' and the other with 'Saphir Creme Surfine'. Both have a bit of wax, but as you can see, there's not much shine. I only horsehair-brushed them, there would have been more shine if had polished them with a cloth: #22,564

Last edited:

Fenners81

Reaction score
Any cream or polish which is not wax (but can have some) will do. Pure wax doesn't nourish the leather and builds a layer, that shines the more of them you build with polishing in between.
A bit of wax in cream is used for shine and also for protection see layers.

I like 'Burgol Premium Schuhpomade' and you can see a before-and-after with my Espresso Burfords here: #23,606
When the jar is used up, I probably try Boot Black cream, just for fun and out of curiosity.

Here you can see a side by side of my Acorn Bourtons, one treated with 'Collonil Crème de Luxe Natural' and the other with 'Saphir Creme Surfine'. Both have a bit of wax, but as you can see, there's not much shine. I only horsehair-brushed them, there would have been more shine if had polished them with a cloth: #22,564
I'm not going to pretend I can see a difference between the two shoes but the matt finish looks great. Thank you.

bemk

Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend I can see a difference between the two shoes but the matt finish looks great. Thank you.

Btw, Tricker's Shoe Polish is the same as Saphir's Pate de Luxe and is pretty waxy.

Here's my Acorn Stow after a treatment (one pass/layer only): #23,607

Here's how the consistency looks (the treatment of that Bourton with was many months earlier and doesn't show the shine directly after):

230124_16734_Trickers-Bourton-Saphir-PateDeLuxe.jpg

Fenners81

Reaction score
Btw, Tricker's Shoe Polish is the same as Saphir's Pate de Luxe and is pretty waxy.

Here's my Acorn Stow after a treatment (one pass/layer only): #23,607

Here's how the consistency looks (the treatment of that Bourton with was many months earlier and doesn't show the shine directly after):

View attachment 1921745
They look great but I think the pate de lux will be too waxy for me as I'm trying to keep as casual a look as possible. I have some of the 1925 creme in neutral which gives more shine than I'd like but maybe using this in dark brown will do the trick if I don't over buff them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads