• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
I think you could be onto something there.

I’d rather it was @Mikedbfast special Grassmere Espresso 6 Width but I have a feeling it’s more likely going to be something like pink bookbinder on oversize white wedge sole :rotflmao:

Lol .

Not for me to tell Trickers how to run their business but as a customer of many years and pairs of boots I certainly have an opinion .

Historically their brand has been built on a long tradition of footwear designed and crafted from high quality hides to suit a certain market . The brand conjures images from the 19th / early and mid 20th century of British market towns and villages as well work and gentlemen in cobbled streets . Its great to see their business gowing and also modern trends to quality U.K. products , but their infatuation with upper and sole combinations that are the opposite of their core only dilutes the brand . Much of it we see in the Outlet .

The catalogue over the last 20 years that I have seen has been fine , the addition of kudu looks to have been a success . For me it would be an improvement if they increased the options of the core catalogue lasts and hides , eg espresso / c shade Grassmere , zug / scotch grain Stows etc.. and kept the “fancy” designs to m.t.o individual and retailer business . Flick through Instagram, there are more pics of Stow / Bourton traditional combinations than not .

They certainly should have went traditional for the anniversary . My tuppence worth on the subject .

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol .

Not for me to tell Trickers how to run their business but as a customer of many years and pairs of boots I certainly have an opinion .

Historically their brand has been built on a long tradition of footwear designed and crafted from high quality hides to suit a certain market . The brand conjures images from the 19th / early and mid 20th century of British market towns and villages as well workmen in cobbled streets . Its great to see their business gowing and also modern trends to quality U.K. products , but their infatuation with upper and sole combinations that are the opposite of their core only dilutes the brand . Much of it we see in the Outlet .

The catalogue over the last 20 years that I have seen has been fine , the addition of kudu looks to have been a success . For me it would be an improvement if they increased the options of the core catalogue lasts and hides , eg espresso / c shade Grassmere , zug / scotch grain Stows etc.. and kept the “fancy” designs to m.t.o individual and retailer business . Flick through Instagram, there are more pics of Stow / Bourton traditional combinations than not .

They certainly should have went traditional for the anniversary . My tuppence worth on the subject .

Spot on

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol .

Historically their brand has been built on a long tradition of footwear designed and crafted from high quality hides to suit a certain market . The brand conjures images from the 19th / early and mid 20th century of British market towns and villages as well workmen in cobbled streets . Its great to see their business gowing and also modern trends to quality U.K. products , but their infatuation with upper and sole combinations that are the opposite of their core only dilutes the brand . Much of it we see in the Outlet .

There have been a lot of dodgy experiments, for sure. The pair of kudu suede Woodstock on crepe sole was purchased, at a discount, with the intention of an immediate resole. However, I decided to ‘get my monies worth’ with the crepe sole. After a year, the style is growing on me. As we see here, there are others that are very happy also. I also see the sole lasting for a good few years. I tell thee, if one were to purchase several pairs of crepe soled Woodstock, you’d have tanks to last you decades. I think I’d be pushing it if I experimented with those purple ones that are currently going for around £200.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still on the lookout for excellent quality, made in Britain chinos if anyone can recommend. Otherwise I may have to take the plunge and work out a deal with a local tailor. Also, how would you compare chino to moleskin? Thanks. :)

MSAINT

Reaction score

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I’m still on the lookout for excellent quality, made in Britain chinos if anyone can recommend. Otherwise I may have to take the plunge and work out a deal with a local tailor. Also, how would you compare chino to moleskin? Thanks. :)
Moleskin far more of a winter trouser I’d suggest to the chino summer counterpart.

Very popular in rural settings because of its wind resistance (moleskin). I used to wear them regularly for work as formal enough for what I do. Depends on climate etc as some of our brethren can probably wear either year round!

Last edited:

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moleskin far more of a winter trouser I’d suggest to the ****** summer counterpart.

Very popular in rural settings because of its wind resistance (moleskin). I used to wear them regularly for work as formal enough for what I do. Depends on climate etc as some of our brethren can probably wear either year round!
‘******’. Enough of your racism. ;)

I’ve never owned a pair of moleskin, but I am tempted to experiment in the coming year or so. They would have to be well fitting. Nothing baggy for me, please. :)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Do I get a lollipop?

Attachments

• 0FAAE163-971A-47A5-8414-5CBE0B3C0050.jpeg
    0FAAE163-971A-47A5-8414-5CBE0B3C0050.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 63

daveyisgreat

Reaction score
Anyone know why Trickers (and so many other makers) only go up to a size 12, maybe a 13 in rare instances? I do so wish I could get a pair of Stow boots in a larger size. (14 — just one size more! Can’t be that hard to make can it?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads