• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

pugnax

Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me identify this Barbour jacket I have. It was sent to a fashion journalist friend of mine as a sample about 6 years ago, and she gave it to me (we are in the UK, not sure if designs vary internationally). I've attached a couple of pics.

I thought it was maybe a Beaufort or a Classic Beaufort as it has the large rear 'game' pocket but there are some details that are slightly different:

1. Sizing is shown as a chest measurement instead of the general S/M/L style which seems to be on all other Barbour jackets?
2. Storm cuffs are pop-button fastened, not velcro.
3. Inside pocket is velcro fastened, not zip.
4. Does not have the Barbour name stitched onto front left pocket.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm trying to sell it as it's always been too small for me, but I don't want to list it incorrectly.

Attachments

• PXL_20231020_110715657.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231020_110715657.MP.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 188
  • PXL_20231020_110546466.jpg
    PXL_20231020_110546466.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 185

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me identify this Barbour jacket I have. It was sent to a fashion journalist friend of mine as a sample about 6 years ago, and she gave it to me (we are in the UK, not sure if designs vary internationally). I've attached a couple of pics.

I thought it was maybe a Beaufort or a Classic Beaufort as it has the large rear 'game' pocket but there are some details that are slightly different:

1. Sizing is shown as a chest measurement instead of the general S/M/L style which seems to be on all other Barbour jackets?

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm trying to sell it as it's always been too small for me, but I don't want to list it incorrectly.

Have you looked inside the inner pocket for any tags?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like probably everyone here, I have a full closet.

I also have a new Barbour that is more than willing to shed excess wax (if my hands after handling it are any indication). Since my closet is relatively full, I don't have a way to store the jacket in a way where it won't rub against other clothes.

Is there any harm in storing it in an unzipped garment bag like what you get with a new suit?

I figure if I leave the bag unzipped, it can breathe, but it'll still protect the stuff around it from getting inadvertently waxed.

Any reason this is bad idea?

Mr.Anderson

Reaction score
I have the same problem with shedding of excess wax. I use breathable garment bags that are leftovers from old suits. And yes, I keep them unzipped.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t keep your waxed barbour in a closet with all your other clothing or else everything is going to smell like Barbour wax. It needs to hang out on the coat rack.

Like probably everyone here, I have a full closet.

I also have a new Barbour that is more than willing to shed excess wax (if my hands after handling it are any indication). Since my closet is relatively full, I don't have a way to store the jacket in a way where it won't rub against other clothes.

Is there any harm in storing it in an unzipped garment bag like what you get with a new suit?

I figure if I leave the bag unzipped, it can breathe, but it'll still protect the stuff around it from getting inadvertently waxed.

Any reason this is bad idea?

Plough Jockey

Reaction score

Has it got any pockets or flaps at the back?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbours should be kept in the back of the car with mud.

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
Probably a Beaufort so, if it’s heavy it’s a Moorland.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I presume this forum is primarily focussed on vintage Barbour. I have ordered a Beaufort 40th Anniversary in Olive – tried one on when I was at the Barbour Store in Covent Garden. I have a Lightweight Beaufort (1980s) that I inherited from my grandfather who was a farmer and race horse trainer. The Lightweight Beaufort is an unwaxed Cotton/PU shell with a poly/cotton lining (made in Bulgaria). Have always wanted a waxed one and the 40th is made in the UK. I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinions on the 40th model - I do have reservations about that inner patch, did they have to make it so huge?
MWX2254OL71_AW23_flat_1.jpeg
MWX2254OL71_AW23MAIN_detaili_1.jpeg

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the same problem with shedding of excess wax. I use breathable garment bags that are leftovers from old suits. And yes, I keep them unzipped.

Excellent. Thanks. I couldn't see how it could possibly be a problem, but it's always nice to have confirmation.

Don’t keep your waxed barbour in a closet with all your other clothing or else everything is going to smell like Barbour wax. It needs to hang out on the coat rack.

It's in the closet now (awkwardly segregated from the rest of my clothes), and I don't smell anything. Maybe because I have the Classic Beaufort? I seem to recall the Sylkoil is known for having less of an odor than the Thornproof, but I can't recall where I saw that to confirm it.

Barbours should be kept in the back of the car with mud.

The back of the Land Rover!

Ultimately, yes, but I'm not quite ready to commit to that just yet! I want to enjoy it while it's still pristine and pretty.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I presume this forum is primarily focussed on vintage Barbour. I have ordered a Beaufort 40th Anniversary in Olive – tried one on when I was at the Barbour Store in Covent Garden. I have a Lightweight Beaufort (1980s) that I inherited from my grandfather who was a farmer and race horse trainer. The Lightweight Beaufort is an unwaxed Cotton/PU shell with a poly/cotton lining (made in Bulgaria). Have always wanted a waxed one and the 40th is made in the UK. I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinions on the 40th model - I do have reservations about that inner patch, did they have to make it so huge?
View attachment 2054935 View attachment 2054937

I looked closely at the 40th Anniversary when I bought my Beaufort, and I decided it wasn't for me. The patch (and special button) are fun, but they could also be seen as kind of goofy. I also felt like they dated the jacket, which is supposed to be timeless, in a weird way.

From a more practical perspective, what made me decide against it was the fact that the tartan lining doesn't go all the way to the bottom hem like it does on the regular/Classic Beaufort. Also, the sleeves are nylon lined, rather than cotton tartan like the regular/Classic Beauforts. It's a downgraded coat in these ways, yet they're charging $70 more for the privilege of owning the 40th anniversary edition.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2054935 View attachment 2054937

It’s strange seeing no warrants.

Also the 40th with those dogshit brass buttons is wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads